Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New thread idea
I've been thinking about starting a thread for laptop PCSX2 users. I have a list of virtually every laptop CPU and GPU out there with a benchmark score for each one (lists are accending). Now, I know that the benchmark scores aren't necessarily going to reflect PCSX2 use, I was thinking that maybe with some input, we could verify or correct the lists to what may apply to PCSX2 in some way. Maybe even add results under each one with the lowest to highest achieved FPS and/or our own rating system (1-5 or something). Of course, putting the low to high FPS/scores due to the variable of the other components. Perhaps using a "standard" game would be best, as this is sure to be a lot of information in the first place. Not that I wouldn't be up for organizing all that info, though.

If nothing else, this could serve as a reference for newbie to consult before asking that very common question, "Will this PC run PS2 games?".

Any thoughts?

Sponsored links

good idea but about the game,you know that there isnt any "standart game" anyway.And btw you cant meassure someone`s fps without taking into account that different peolple with the same pc specs can get different fps depending on what programs have installed,the garbage in the registry,and of course different OS.But despite all of that,is a good idea.
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
In general, Laptops are not meant for heavy duty. Laptops are great for their portability, watching stuff, listening to music, surfing the web...etc

but for heavy duty stuff like gaming, i dont think so.
(01-29-2010, 06:00 PM)GazaAli Wrote: In general, Laptops are not meant for heavy duty. Laptops are great for their portability, watching stuff, listening to music, surfing the web...etc

Since most people aren't up to date with the latest laptops, that saying is going to remain for a while.....

On topic: I agree with diegochiha. But it may provide some details on what you can achieve with a bit of clean up on your system. Major thing is anti virus suit's (super hungry with resources). GET RID OF IT PEOPLE!!
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
(01-30-2010, 12:52 AM)Xellon Wrote:
(01-29-2010, 06:00 PM)GazaAli Wrote: In general, Laptops are not meant for heavy duty. Laptops are great for their portability, watching stuff, listening to music, surfing the web...etc

Since most people aren't up to date with the latest laptops, that saying is going to remain for a while.....

On topic: I agree with diegochiha. But it may provide some details on what you can achieve with a bit of clean up on your system. Major thing is anti virus suit's (super hungry with resources). GET RID OF IT PEOPLE!!

Yeah get rid off it only when you arent conected online and you are playing,beacuse nowadays surfing the web without an antivirus is like trying to run final fantasy 10 on a celeron with a geforce fx5200,just,painfull Biggrin
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
Cool. Thanks for the input. I think I'll wait for my new laptop to get here in the next couple days so I can start the list out right! Smile BTW The list also has a few desktop components for comparison. I sure the will be recieved well. lol
If it's the same scoring system that rated a 1,8 Ghz Core 2 Duo better than a 2,4 Ghz Core 2 Duo (see here and here) please don't.
I will have to close it and all for being totally wrong.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(02-01-2010, 02:54 PM)Bositman Wrote: If it's the same scoring system that rated a 1,8 Ghz Core 2 Duo better than a 2,4 Ghz Core 2 Duo (see here and here) please don't.
I will have to close it and all for being totally wrong.

That's too bad... As I said down further, that processors "score" is non-consistant and not part of the list. I was a test on some random guys PC whereas the list is all from 1 source. I'd like to think you'd be more willing to judge by an example from the list entirely. I should say, would you please?
I still don't understand that explanation. Is your list going to be results from a certain test, that is targeted for CPU/GPU performance, that keeps all other variables intact while switching processors/GPUs? Achieved by using the exact same system and switching out the CPU or GPU only each time.
That's actually bare basics for making a ranking system for anything these days.
Posting which site it actually is, what functions the test that gives the results uses and other information would also be required for your results to be accepted as solid.
Finally, at best your results will be based on some PC benchmark, which could yield vastly wrong results for PCSX2 performance.

To be frank, I'm afraid this will cause more confusion and misdirection than help people to choose mobile parts for PCSX2.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Fair enough. Smile

The site: http://www.notebookcheck.net ("seems" reliable to me, looking to test or "prove" it here)

It is a benchmark. Done with Cinebench r10. Would look up it's reliability, but I'm guess I'd find a lot of opinions and most likely would not be with PCSX2 in mind. Also, the number "score" is labeled as "Rendering Multi" on the site.

I do understand that the PCSX2 is a sort of a "special case" when comparing to more standard PC operations and hope you know I am keeping that VERY much in my mind. I guess, in a way, I'm trying to narrow down what laptop CPUs and GPUs are CAPABLE of producing acceptable results. Not to say "If you have one of these, you get these results. And maybe (I know, BIG maybe Smile), in the end, have a sort of "Laptop Recommendations" list.

Would it be any more ok if I told you I was planning to put (in big bold letters) that the list is not to be considered accurate or reliable (just at first, I hope...) for "Official Guidelines", so to speak?

EDIT: BTW I do realize the full list of CPUs/GPUs is much larger than needed to be as many on the list(s) wouldn't nearly cut it.