Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie 2 Question
Rainbow 
I'd just like to hear some thoughts on this. There are a lot of questions asked on the forums that aren't necessary because:
- you can read the guide, the answer is in there
- you can put a little effort and try experimenting yourself
- you can browse the forum (yes, it does have the search option)
- google?

All the newbies (I was on many other, bigger forums that this one) function like this: help me, help me, I don't know what to do (:=> although I haven't even read the Guide or browse the forum).

Just these past few days I've noticed the same question circle around like crazy. Is my rig fine, no, is my rig fine, etc. and the difference is like 10% between both...

I do believe this will never change (unfortunately), but one of the reasons this is happening is because you can also download PCSX2 (more unofficial builds) all over the net, but with no Guide... The user sees http://www.pcsx2.net in the About information, goes to the forum, and starts punching keys like crazy... "Help me, help me"... ... Tongue ....

Why don't they read the guide (although it could be in the more visible place, maybe in the first row if possible (PCSX2 Site,Forums,Member List... that row)) or try searching... And if there's no answer in like 10 minutes, panic mode, he'll post again... and again...

No, I'm not angry, and I couldn't care less, but what I don't get, if people could spend months developing this emulator, and they still do, you as a user can sacrifice 1 hour to sit down, think, browse the forum, read the guide and enjoy yourself...

Sorry guys, I just had to lay this down from my chest, I feel better now... Smile

EDIT: yes, I do feel like and idiot chasing threads all over the forum, but hey, somebody's got to be the goat... Wink
Currently Working On:
[Image: 20accwz.png]
- SSX3 testing
- God Of War 2 testing

-> Inactive till May 4th

Sponsored links

i feel the same way Smile Wink
(i go everywhere on the forums too Tongue)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
reading the guide is tiresome that why they always ask if their stuff is ok or not. experementing with options in PCSX2 hell no, id rather wait for a new release and see if it has speed improvements

atleast thats what probably most of them think imo
I don't want to open a new thread for this, but while browsing the forum, I've noticed a lot of questions of the type; "Is my PC good enough to run the emulator: my specs are..."

Would it be possible to add to the Guide a recommended PC configuration, so people could know what to expect when they run it. Because currently, if I was a huge optimist, and owned a Celeron 333 Mhz that's running Win XP, I could expect the emulator to run the games (because there's not a single clue about that in the Guide about the recommended hardware).

Of course this is pretty general, but I'd say (no offense to users with slower PCs): 2-core, 2 GB RAM, 512 MB VGA and that should be a good reference model.

Because at this rate, 500 new members will post 500 PC configurations, asking about the running of the emulator on them (which can get even better: each of them asking specifically for 10 games they wish to play -> 5000 posts ... Tongue )... I'm really not that interested in what PC somebody has... There are other sites that showcase PCs in a much better manner. And still you can see the lazyness of the members to experiment themselves... Crash the PC like I did 20-30 times, and when it won't crash in a while, you've probably found which plugins and setup work best for your PC... Wink ... Or, we appoint consultants which will solve case-by-case for each game and each PC if it will or will not run... $2 per game per member advice price... Enough to cover the hosting service, and lunch meals for the devs on the project (they do deserve it)...

Just my 2 3/4 cents on this... Smile
Currently Working On:
- SSX3 testing
- God Of War 2 testing

-> Inactive till May 4th
I think low-end is 1.8 dual core, cause my FPS are somewhat unstable at 2.2, I can only imagine lower
(04-19-2009, 05:52 PM)vborovic Wrote: I don't want to open a new thread for this, but while browsing the forum, I've noticed a lot of questions of the type; "Is my PC good enough to run the emulator: my specs are..."

Would it be possible to add to the Guide a recommended PC configuration, so people could know what to expect when they run it. Because currently, if I was a huge optimist, and owned a Celeron 333 Mhz that's running Win XP, I could expect the emulator to run the games (because there's not a single clue about that in the Guide about the recommended hardware).

Of course this is pretty general, but I'd say (no offense to users with slower PCs): 2-core, 2 GB RAM, 512 MB VGA and that should be a good reference model.

Because at this rate, 500 new members will post 500 PC configurations, asking about the running of the emulator on them (which can get even better: each of them asking specifically for 10 games they wish to play -> 5000 posts ... Tongue )... I'm really not that interested in what PC somebody has... There are other sites that showcase PCs in a much better manner. And still you can see the lazyness of the members to experiment themselves... Crash the PC like I did 20-30 times, and when it won't crash in a while, you've probably found which plugins and setup work best for your PC... Wink ... Or, we appoint consultants which will solve case-by-case for each game and each PC if it will or will not run... $2 per game per member advice price... Enough to cover the hosting service, and lunch meals for the devs on the project (they do deserve it)...

Just my 2 3/4 cents on this... Smile

We already have minimum and recommended specs in the FAQ,and detailed performance you'll get with CPUs/GPUs in a FAQ link called Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?

Ofcourse no one reads them Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-19-2009, 08:04 PM)Bositman Wrote: Ofcourse no one reads them Tongue

Exactly my point, so maybe just to add to the guide that something called a FAQ exists somewhere around, and also the link to that topic you've mentioned.

Smile
Currently Working On:
- SSX3 testing
- God Of War 2 testing

-> Inactive till May 4th
Well err I don't see your point..these are sticky threads. Anywhere else I would put it,it would still require people to read it,which we know they don't,so how is that different? Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Yeah, people don't read ... Not just on the forums, but this problem is true to real-life not a bit less. Ahhh, I just love when people walk straight past a big sign saying "OUT OF ORDER" and ask an administrator : "Is it out of order"?Laugh
How about using "Forums - Registration Agreement", on the registration page (you can't miss this when you want to register)... Have a part like:

after registration, please take a few minutes, and read these links:
-> to put in there a few links: Guide, FAQ, etc...

?

My point was also that people don't read, so maybe this way they'll be more motivated to read them... or not... I don't know, I'm just a Cacher in the Rye in the end... Tongue
Currently Working On:
- SSX3 testing
- God Of War 2 testing

-> Inactive till May 4th