v0.9.8 is no longer the best version and nor is default settings the most optimal settings. I'm going to list what you should do step by step below. The following steps are for a full setup and folder cleanup.
1. Go here: http://pcsx2.net/svn.php
- Download the latest SVN.
2. Extract the .7z file to wherever you want. If you cannot extract it go here: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/winrar-x64-411.exe
- and install it with default settings.
3. After you have extracted it, open the folder "pcsx2-5128-windows-x86" and inside will be another folder called "pcsx2-5128-windows-x86". Rename this folder to PCSX2.
4. Cut (Ctrl+X) the folder you renamed to "PCSX2" and past it onto your C: drive. If you don't know how to get to your C: drive, hit the Windows key and click computer. The C: drive should be called "Local Disk (C
" without the quotes. It will be something different if you renamed it or your manufacturer did.
5. Open your "PCSX2" folder. If you follow the instructions above the path should be: "C:\PCSX2".
6. Before we start, we're going to do a bit of housekeeping. For some odd reason, the build bot makes two different versions of select files. The files being the .exe and plugin .dlls. You are going to delete the .exe file in the main folder (C:\PCSX2) named "pcsx2". Do NOT delete the .exe named "pcsx2-r****" (* being the revision number), this is the .exe that you will be using to run PCSX2. After you have deleted the .exe, go into the plugins folder (C:\PCSX2\plugins) and delete every .dll that doesn't have "r-****" in its name. Now we have that done, on to the next step.
7. If you have any memory cards from an older PCSX2 version, please copy them from your old PCSX2 folder into the new one (C:\PCSX2). It would also be a good idea for you to save your controller bindings from your earlier install so you do not have to re-do your bindings. To do this, open PCSX2 go to Config > Controllers (PAD) > Plugin Settings > Save Bindings (bottom right) and save it into your inis folder. Then copy this file from your old PCSX2 inis folder into your new PCSX2 inis folder. If there is no inis folder, create one. You will also need to copy your bios folder over to your new PCSX2.
8. Open PCSX2 by right clicking the "pcsx2-r****" .exe and running as administrator. You will get a setup screen, pick your PCSX2 language (System Default should be fine), and click next. The next few steps are quite important so follow closely.
9. Next to "GS" will be a dropdown box. From that dropdown box, select the option named "GSdx **** (MSVC 16.00, SSE41) 0.1.6 [GDdx32-sse4-r****]". then click configure. For you specifically, set your options like this: http://i.imgur.com/ld4Vs.png
- These should be the correct settings for you. After you input these settings, click OK and move on to the next step.
10. Next to "PAD" will be a dropdown box. From that dropdown box, select the option named "LilyPad svn (r****) 0.11.0 [LilyPad-r****]", then click configure. For you specifically, set your options like this: http://i.imgur.com/qMBND.png
- Make sure if you saved your controller bindings from your earlier version of PCSX2 that you load them with the "Load Bindings" button. These should be the correct settings for you. After you input these settings, click apply then OK and move onto the next step.
11. Next to "SPU2" will be a dropdown box. From that dropdown box, select the option named "SPU2-X r**** 2.0.0 [SPU2-X-r****]", then click configure. For you specifically, set your options like this: http://i.imgur.com/hqfCh.png
- If you notice any weird sound artifacts ingame, it's probably to do with the delay so make sure you play around with the setting until you get what is best for you. These should be the correct settings for you. After you input these settings, click OK and move on to the next step.
12. Next to "CDVD" will be a dropdown box. From that dropdown box, select the option named "Linuz Iso CDVD 0.9.0 [CDVDiso-r****]". You don't need to configure this plugin.
13. For the next 3 plugins, leave them as the default. They do not need to be changed. Click next.
14. On this screen you will be prompted to select your BIOS. If you followed the steps correctly before you would have copied your BIOS folder over to your new PCSX2 version's folder. If not, do that now. Note: Your BIOS must be from your PS2. Once selected, click Finish.
15. If you don't want the console opening every time you open PCSX2, go to Misc > Show Console. Make sure it is unticked.
16. The next port of call is some extra configuring and setting your memory cards up. Go to Configure > Emulation Settings. There will be 6 tabs, you do not need to worry about the first 3 (EE/IOP, VUs, GS and Game Fixes).
17. Click the "GS Window" tab. Set your options in this tab like this: http://i.imgur.com/hVp5n.png
- These should be the correct settings for you. Once you have input these settings, click apply and then click the next tab "Speedhacks".
18. Set your options like this: http://i.imgur.com/ZXPSC.png
- These should be the correct settings for you. Once you have input these settings, click apply and then click OK. You are almost done, only a one thing left now.
19. Click System and make sure that "Automatic Game Fixes" is checked. If it isn't, check it.
You are now done. If you are still having problems then it is likely one of the settings described above or something entirely unrelated to PCSX2 like out of date drivers or a virus clogged machine.