Nice analysis of 'Silent Hill 2' PS2 technology on DF Retro
Very nice analysis of 'Silent Hill 2' PS2 technology on DF Retro in the following video:

PCSX2 is even recommended for having the original effects in HD! Laugh
_____
Intel Core i7-5820K/16GB DDR4/GeForce RTX 2070 Super/MSI X99A Gaming 7 motherboard
...some of my PS2 games videos...

Sponsored links

Looks like he had some issues with FMV's, I left a comment suggesting he use the software mode switch, will probably get lost though, oh well Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-16-2016, 01:43 PM)refraction Wrote: Looks like he had some issues with FMV's, I left a comment suggesting he use the software mode switch, will probably get lost though, oh well Tongue
He just needs to use the OpenGL renderer and enable the Unscale Point Line hack. Wink
(10-16-2016, 01:50 PM)FlatOut Wrote: He just needs to use the OpenGL renderer and enable the Unscale Point Line hack. Wink

Mentioned that in a reply, with props to you Tongue Looks like he tried the software switch thing and that worked for him Smile

For the record, they use the bitmask capability to emulate a very powerful stencil buffer. Only GS can do that. It explains why Xbox/PS3 doesn't have the same shadow effects.
(10-16-2016, 08:46 PM)gregory Wrote: For the record, they use the bitmask capability to emulate a very powerful stencil buffer. Only GS can do that. It explains why Xbox/PS3 doesn't have the same shadow effects.

Yeah, the guy in the video said "layered alpha effects", but i guess that's similar. It was very technically impressive though.

Yes it is a layered effect (my english isn't fluent as your Wink ). If I remember correctly, they extract all bits one by one of the depth (so 8 draw calls (or maybe 16) ). And then use the extracted bit to control some blending.

It is the paradox of the GS, it only contains fixed unit in it but with memory trick you can do various effects that required full shader power. When you see the above video, depth/fog effect are quite nice. And the GS doesn't even have a stencil buffer... GS is probably close of the ultimate fixed unit hardware.
Pretty interesting. I hope John takes a look into more games that use hardware in wierd(?) ways.
[Image: iq2O9Ya.jpg]
Yeah, the devs in the old 'Team Silent' were quite good for creating amazing effects on limited hardware...

I just love Silent Hill 3's creepy 'moving texture' effect on environments and characters when going to the 'dark world'... still very effective today IMO...
[Image: silent_hill_3_dark_alessa_by_parrafahell-d3fgq4l.jpg]
_____
Intel Core i7-5820K/16GB DDR4/GeForce RTX 2070 Super/MSI X99A Gaming 7 motherboard
Very nice analysis again, this time on 'ICO':

(Damn, now I'll have to hunt that debug-demo disc...)
_____