No XP/DirectX10 work around possible with pcsx2?
(10-18-2009, 09:32 PM)Bauzi Wrote: Tsss. Choice between my career and pcsx2... mhm hard choice, right?
Yes it is demanding, but what is wrong about trying to get out the maximum of the ressources I already have?

Thanks for your answer. I was really interessted about the possible boost.

@Sythe: Not everything is that simpel to solve.

No.. It really is... It's a program, not a compatability mode.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.

Sponsored links

You can always run a separate XP partition if you need to...

Unless you want to bottleneck newer hardware for gaming or other intensive PC applications, it's really time for everyone to move on from XP. It was fantastic for it's time, but now it has severe limitations.

This is what Sythe is talking about, by the way:
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029...887,00.htm
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
You know I'm a fresh film student and edited for years on XP. I'm kinda used to all it's flaws and advantages. With becomeing a Pro I just have to switch to Mac anyway and my new Mac Book (which I automaticly get with being part of the courses) gives me a new reason to do all my private amateur editing on the Mac and leave the laptop for graphics like XSI.

Testing an OS is a good idea for sure. I'm not that much into formating discs, but at least I know that I have to format the whole disc if I want to make a new partition.
From working with USB-Linux I know that my BIOS can boot from usb-sticks. What do you think? Can I turn a usual 7200rpm usb external disc to a bootable OS disc? Yeah I know that the preformance won't be best, but at least I could test the OS!

article Wrote:On paper, this gives the new OS 100 per cent backwards compatibility with XP, so you can run all your old software on Windows 7.
Woot? Seriously? I never heard of it oO I think it might be even more compatible than my XP x64 version lol

Wait no. This is just a virtual machine. That won't turn out good/fast for my works though.
This is pointless, whatever we tell him, he won't listen to it.
Pro's ftl.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
XP mode is crap. It emulates the crappiest hardware imaginable and you can't run it any better than that. I've tried it and it can barely run old ass games. It should be fine for business though as that's what it's designed for.
(10-19-2009, 12:38 AM)Sythedragon Wrote: This is pointless, whatever we tell him, he won't listen to it.
Pro's ftl.
What the? I just have my concerns about switching to an OS that won't suites my needs.

Yes of course: Setting up a system all over again doesn't take a lot of time and testing something in the first place is never a good idea. It just dumb to look for all the disadvantages and advantages of a product that I might buy Rolleyes

You know what I mean, right? Of course I listen and read, damn it.

Oh and after speaking with my colleagues I really switch to Win 7, because they gave me positive feedback about editing on it

I have already experience in using virutal machine XP copies and it was horrible to work with them. 3 (Data + OS + OS) partitions is not really what I look for in my laptop.
Ok, I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here, but what exactly are the benefits of using a Mac, over using a PC with Avisynth, Virtualdub, Sony Vegas, and lots of other free open source video software ?
Intel E7500 @ 4.00ghz 400 fsb / Asus P5QL Pro / 4Gb Kingston RAM / PNY nvidia 9800GT 512Mb / Creative X-Fi Music 24 / Vista 64 SP2/
Well I'm not a Mac fan either and somehow my course convinced me. I still have problem with all the ***** hype which is around Apple (come on! The ipod is just overpriced if you ask me).

-Mac's are made for the hardware they use. That's why they use it more efficient. For example:
A 2Ghz Dual Core of a Mac is equvivalent to a 3Ghz Intel Dual Core
(that's how they convinced me)

by the way: The powerPC plattforms from pre-Intel models had better chips for grafical work

-Apple was always the multimedia hardware. That's why it is so extremly set up in the industry. You just can't go around when you really want to make money in the industry. It's like Avid: Avid is a hell of a crappy (at least the useability is *****...) of an editing program, but it's the first real NLE for PCs and Mac. It got industry standard. You just have to know how to use it. ;_;

-Well Final Cut Pro seams to be a nice program too. Let's see if I'll prefer it over my Premiere Pro CS4

-Editing on an octa-core Mac working station is smooth as heaven

However:
I still don't get how I will replace Avisynth in my workflow, because I use it a lot, but I think it will somehow work. =/ 'cause I don't believe that Avisynth 3 (which should be suited for multiplattforms) will be around in the next years.

You're just forced to switch and that's frustrating. I got used to it.

I better get an iPhone too, than I can call myself a real artist. hahaha j/k
(10-19-2009, 01:24 AM)DKTronics Wrote: Ok, I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here, but what exactly are the benefits of using a Mac, over using a PC with Avisynth, Virtualdub, Sony Vegas, and lots of other free open source video software ?

None. Mac's haven't had an edge in any practical sense in like 10 yrs or more.

Back in the old days Macs tended to come with a lot more ram than PCs, so it made them better for video and photo editing. And the even older days Macs had add-on hardware for improving video and photo editing.

But none of that's been applicable to the market in a decade.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
I often wonder if Avisynth is let down by a lack of a decent NLE, and perhaps this is often why so-called Pros prefer Mac-based video editing.
Lots of talk has been made of a NLE, and even some projects started, but nothing ever seems to come to fruition.
I know a lot of people, personally, who are afraid of scripts, and frame-serving to external apps like vdub, they tend to prefer to do everything visually. I personally love the scripting, the sheer power of Avisynth, and the possibilities.

Adding on what Air said, I wonder if the PC suffers from both an image problem, and a lack of smugness that often surrounds the Macs.
Intel E7500 @ 4.00ghz 400 fsb / Asus P5QL Pro / 4Gb Kingston RAM / PNY nvidia 9800GT 512Mb / Creative X-Fi Music 24 / Vista 64 SP2/