Noobie having problems...surprised?
First off...I love the emulator.

I got the emulator and my first rom (Monster Hunter) about a week ago and have been loving it!

I posted some questions in another thread and was referred to Omniconvert and cheat engine on how to turn "other" games coes into raw...I am still working on that...not doing so well but that is ok.

I have had a blast with the cheat files that have been uploaded...whoever made those.../bow to you, they are awesome and work perfectly.

Here is my problem.

I downloaded the hack to make "online" quests available offline....but it does not work. There is no one in the "village" to assign those quests...they must come from the "town".

When I try to go to town, the emulator wants to set up an internet connection. I have tried everything I can think of and it just does not work.

Am I supposed to actually get online for this hack or am I supposed to "trick" the emulator into thinking it is connected?

I saw a thread about how to actually get the emulator online...I was actually hoping I wouldn't have to go there. This is just playtime and I don't want to be kicked and banned from games for hacking because, for me, that is the whole point of this little project.

I really am trying to avoid installing all the stuff to actually connect to the internet with the emulator. As I said, I saw a thread on how to do it....didn't read through it cause that is not the answer I wanted. I am assuming (big ass out of "me" on that part) that the content for the "online" quests are in the iso...I might be wrong though.

Anyway people....that is my issues.

I would love to send out big thanks to everyone for a wonderful emulator...I also want to thank the original hack authors...whoever you are out there. I really have no idea who made what at this point but thank you for your efforts.

Here is the "online content available offline" hack...I am just going to cut and paste it and not upload a file...

gametitle=Monster Hunter [SLES 52707] (E)
comment=Online Quests Offline
//Quest: Troublesome Pair
patch=1,EE,2036E00C,word,00600000
//Quest: Wyvern of Land and Sky
patch=1,EE,2036E12C,word,00640000
//Quest: 4 Horns
patch=1,EE,2036E24C,word,00610000
//Quest: Two Rock Wyverns
patch=1,EE,2036E36C,word,00630000
//Quest: A Giant Dragon Invades! 3*
patch=1,EE,2036E48C,word,00650000
//Quest: A Giant Dragon Invades! 6*
patch=1,EE,2036E5AC,word,006B0000
//Quest: Fatalis 1
patch=1,EE,2036EA2C,word,00670000
//Quest: Fatalis 2
patch=1,EE,2036EB2C,word,00680000
//Quest: Fatalis 3
patch=1,EE,2036EC4C,word,00690000
//Quest: Fatalis 4
patch=1,EE,2036E7EC,word,006A0000

I think it was posted as 6E88AF03.pnach

I truly wish it would work...but it seems that without "town" access, there is no one to give out these quests...unless I am totally missing something.

thanks folks!

Sponsored links

A few problems with this post:

It's not a rom, it should be the CD or the rip (ISO) file. Roms are used in arcade machines and cartridge based video games. Not sure if I want to know how you obtained it if you are calling it a 'rom.' But I digress.

As far as I know, the PCSX2 emulator does not connect online. Even if it could, the servers have been down for years. See below.

"As of 2008, online servers for Monster Hunter (PS2) were shut down, discontinuing the ability to play online."
Source: http://monsterhunter.neoseeker.com/wiki/..._%28PS2%29
Favorite PS2 Games: Kessen II, SSX Tricky, & Mr. Mosquito
PlayStation 2: Ceramic White & Black (Original)
Off-Topic:
Fun fact: there are a few games that might still have their servers online. These games are:

Quote:* The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact (Japan Only)
* The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 2 (Japan Only)
* The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact Regulation "A" (Japan Only)
&
Quote:* World Championship Snooker 2004 (PAL Only)
* World Championship Snooker 2005 (PAL Only)
[source]

I used that site (I think it was that one) a long time ago to see if a few of my PS2 games that had online ability would work or not.

On-Topic: AFAIK nobody here knows exactly who made the cheat/hack, but if you can find out who the autorh is and maybe contact them. Mostly all PS2 games that online capabilities now have no servers on, and even if they did there would hardly be anyone playing them unfortunately.
(06-23-2013, 07:23 AM)Avastor Wrote: A few problems with this post:

It's not a rom, it should be the CD or the rip (ISO) file. Roms are used in arcade machines and cartridge based video games. Not sure if I want to know how you obtained it if you are calling it a 'rom.' But I digress.

As far as I know, the PCSX2 emulator does not connect online. Even if it could, the servers have been down for years. See below.

"As of 2008, online servers for Monster Hunter (PS2) were shut down, discontinuing the ability to play online."
Source: http://monsterhunter.neoseeker.com/wiki/..._%28PS2%29

Just a habit of calling game files a "rom"...my bad. I play on all kinds of emulators from NES on up and generally the games files are referred to as ROMS.

Yes it is an ISO file.

So...I assume that this means the "online content" is not in the ISO files and the "online content available offline" hack is useless.

Thanks

ETA:

There is a thread explaining how to get the pcsx2 online here

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-To-Play-Online-Guide

So apparently it "can" get online if you really-really want it to.
(06-23-2013, 03:28 PM)Helix Wrote: Just a habit of calling game files a "rom"...my bad. I play on all kinds of emulators from NES on up and generally the games files are referred to as ROMS.

Yes it is an ISO file.

So...I assume that this means the "online content" is not in the ISO files and the "online content available offline" hack is useless.

Thanks

The online content IS part of the iso, don't be silly. How do you expect to play something on the PS2 that the disc itself doesn't have? Download it? That's not how it works Tongue
So the cheats you have DO work. But i think you first need to finish all normal 5 star quests. I have a cheat which allows you to complete a quest the moment you turn the value to 1, which makes it easy to skip the annoying ones.

//Turn on for immediate Quest Completed!
patch=0,EE,203EA0B0,byte,02

Monster Hunter Dos circumvented this sort of hack since even if you did "complete" the quest, it would check whether the objectives had been completed, and those seemed to have different positions in memory each time.. i'm getting sidetracked. Complete all the missions using the cheat i posted here and try the online quests hack.
(06-23-2013, 03:32 PM)Coornio Wrote: The online content IS part of the iso, don't be silly. How do you expect to play something on the PS2 that the disc itself doesn't have? Download it? That's not how it works Tongue
So the cheats you have DO work. But i think you first need to finish all normal 5 star quests. I have a cheat which allows you to complete a quest the moment you turn the value to 1, which makes it easy to skip the annoying ones.

//Turn on for immediate Quest Completed!
patch=0,EE,203EA0B0,byte,02

Monster Hunter Dos circumvented this sort of hack since even if you did "complete" the quest, it would check whether the objectives had been completed, and those seemed to have different positions in memory each time.. i'm getting sidetracked. Complete all the missions using the cheat i posted here and try the online quests hack.

Well that would be great.

I have used that hack....all quests are done....even the powderstone ridiculously stupid one....it's done....all of them...all of the "after" quests where you have to make a piece of armor to open a quest....all...It reaches a highpoint called "troublesome pair"....which is where this "hack" is supposed to pick up. I have done all the "after market" quests at least a dozen times using the "cheat" for quest completion and it does not matter. The "village" elder tells you at one point you have done all the quests he can give you and you need to move on....ok...to where?....oh....the "town" which is code for "online"....

I have no doubt the data is somewhere locked away in the iso....I agree, it has to be for this stage of "online" play....but how do you unlock it?

I am not saying that there might not be a troll or an elder out in the world somewhere to award the "online" quests "offline"....what I am saying is...I cannot find it. If there is a way...I sure would like to know it.

I posted this hoping someone who had actually completed it might give me a clue. If you have not accomplished this...you might not be the correct person to respond. Apparently...someone accomplished it or there would not be a hack for it....I would just like to know how to do it....

Thanks
Sorry for late seeing this, I'm not the author of those codes, but I can say how they work;p, it's pretty easy.

Basically they replace first quests in the village;p

To take "Quest: Troublesome Pair" with code for it being on, you have to select the first quest to gather raw meat, to take the next one "Quest: Wyvern of Land and Sky" you have to pick the quest to prepare meal and soo on with the next ones. They'll still have their usual description, cause changing those would require much more work I guess, but once you enter quest area you'll start the cheated quest properly;3, edit - I also noticed now they'll also change the color of the quest taken note above player char from green to red when they change gathering to hunting quest types;p, so it's easy to say if the cheat works or not even without leaving the village.

Oh and as an added bonus, you can try those, since I guess there wasn't one for PAL version earlier;p
Code:
//widescreen patch(requires restart)
patch=1,EE,00138544,extended,000000f3
patch=1,EE,1013854c,extended,0000cf35
(06-24-2013, 03:38 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Sorry for late seeing this, I'm not the author of those codes, but I can say how they work;p, it's pretty easy.

Basically they replace first quests in the village;p

To take "Quest: Troublesome Pair" with code for it being on, you have to select the first quest to gather raw meat, to take the next one "Quest: Wyvern of Land and Sky" you have to pick the quest to prepare meal and soo on with the next ones. They'll still have their usual description, cause changing those would require much more work I guess, but once you enter quest area you'll start the cheated quest properly;3, edit - I also noticed now they'll also change the color of the quest taken note above player char from green to red when they change gathering to hunting quest types;p, so it's easy to say if the cheat works or not even without leaving the village.

Oh and as an added bonus, you can try those, since I guess there wasn't one for PAL version earlier;p
Code:
//widescreen patch(requires restart)
patch=1,EE,00138544,extended,000000f3
patch=1,EE,1013854c,extended,0000cf35

Thanks for the input.

The only problem I see is that "troublesome pair" is actually an offline quest...it is the last of them. Perhaps I need to delete it from the file line....maybe it is wrong and causing problems? I am pretty beat at the moment...long weekend. I'll play around with that concept come tomorrow. I'll have to see if areas match up....that might also be a factor.

I find it hard to believe the data is just lost and maybe you are correct and early-early quests get pumped up for the single player finale'....I guess we'll see. I have not gone back to the first two tiers of quests in I don't know how long. I'll play around tomorrow and see what is up. Maybe I'll remove "troublesome pair" from the pnach file and see what happens since it is not an impossible quest to obtain....

you have to make a monoplos armor piece to get first "urgent" quest...that unlocks the first "hidden" quest (the runaway diablos)
you then have to do a vespoid armor piece for (the shadow in the cave) then a cephalos armor piece...that unlocks up to the third hidden quest (terror of the gravios)....completing those automatically unlocks the 4th and 5th....

4 being the "powderstone" quest which is a pain in the @ss and the 5th is the "troublesome pair"....the last and final "offline" quest.

Perhaps having it in the "online available offline" quest list is causing a problem? I'll check it tomorrow.

Maybe zones have something to do with it...level one quests are all in the hills area....and not all of the online quests occur there....just a thought. Gravios for instance is a volcano area quest so I am sure the final quests online or offline are not in easy areas.

Thanks for the idea.....got me thinking....
So other quests doesn't work for you?Tongue How did you tried to enter them, I gave 2 first as an example, obviously the rest of the quests are under other basic and higher quests;p.

I don't even use pnach, just made myself a cheat table for cheat engine to replace only that stupid Raw Meat quest with different quests ID's, when I entered for example "A Giant Dragon Invades" ID, I started in totally different place, so seems to work just fine for me;p. Using pnach should have exactly same result just with more bothersome control of which quests you swap, I did notice some TLB miss errors when loading all of those quest cheats from pnach and restarting game, but doubt it broken anything in-game;p.

Edit: I google a bit, it seems the Troublesome Pair has two versionsTongue offline and online, not sure if everything works properly but this is for sure online version. You can see it by having multiply items in supply box, also travel to location 4 and you'll have your "troublesome pair";p. Everything works fine for me, it should be slightly different with loot as well.
I think I figured out why they are not working.

It appears the .pnach file I pulled them out of was a PAL file and I am on ntsc. My monster hunter is a SLUS.

I'm not sure how to fix that. I am going through the search results that I just got when I did a search on "converting pal patches to ntsc"...several threads have came up so I got some reading to do.

On a side note. I got omniconverter and the pcsx2 converter...but something I noticed with my first failed attempt. (take that back...my continuing failed attempts).

I ran a series of game shark codes for another game, got the raw converts and then put them into the pcsx2 converter...However, I got some error codes in omniconverter...which I guess means it was the wrong version of game shark I was attempting to convert. Omniconverter has these options... Gameshark>Interact>version 1 or version 2...or...there is Gameshark>madcatz>version 3-4 or version 5+

Is there any way of knowing what version a code is or is it just trial and error?

BTW...why can't I cut and paste nto pcs2 converter input screen? I am a horrible typist. I'm sure there is something I am missing here because cutting and pasting and long form typing is not going to save anyone's @ss from copy write infringement...you take a "for money" cheat code...plug it into omniconverter...get a raw code and then add the clever little bit's of text to create a pnach file. Forcing someone to do it longhand and not "cut and paste" is not going to save anyone...I don't get it...