Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not another will my pc work thread?
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop for on the go performance. I wanted something light and powerful. The laptop I found at Best Buy seems like right on my budget and It has nice specs I think.

My question is, Will the specs on the laptop yield any decent framerates on most PCSX2 games? And is there any version recommendations for this laptop? Here are the specs:

Samsung NP-QX410-J01

Processor : Intel Core i5-460m @ 2.53Ghz (2.8Ghz MAX Turbo Boost)
Memory : 4GB DDRIII-1066 Ram (2 Slots)
First Graphics GPU : Intel HD Graphics with shared memory
Second Graphics GPU : Nvidia Geforce 310M With 512MB DDRIII dedicated ram
Hard Drive : 640GB 5400RPM Samsung HDD (will be replaced with 500GB seagate 7200RPM hard drive)
DVD-RW Drive : Samsung internal DVD burner
Monitor : 14" internal LED display
Audio : Realtek High Definition Ajudio

The laptop I heard should be a decent performer with Nvidia Optimus automatic GPU switching for games and multimedia. The point is to have something light, yet powerful. Any input would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored links

It'll be OK. The processor is one of the best mobile options for PCSX2, but I would definitely say the 310M is a light weight GPU. Don't expect it to run many games on anything higher than native resolution, but at least you not stuck with just the GMA. Smile

BTW - What are you spending on this laptop? Because if it's anything more than $600, you could easily do much better. There is a very big difference between nVidia's 310M and their GT 320M.
Best Buy's price is $799. I will be able to get one for $630. I picked that because $600 is my budget. If I can do better, what other options do I have? Thank's In advance.
This one has a slightly slower processor, but may be a much better idea. The power of the GPU is much better. With less GPU related slow-downs, better resolutions, and with DX11 support.
That looks like a nice laptop. But there are a few things that would sway me away from it. The weight is 6.06LBS vs the samsung being 4.7LBS. Not to mention that HP is a 15.6" and the samsung is a 14". I am looking for something that is 14" or less. The samsung also has a rated 7 hour battery life with reviews showing about 5-6 hours realistic.

I understand that when I game, it would be less. As I said earlier, I am looking for something light and small. The HP may be more powerful when it comes to graphics, but I am looking for a balance of power and portability because I travel a lot. The Geforce 310m may be a slow GPU, but will it really hinder performance on games and or PCSX2?
With 2.53GHz you should be able to get at least 50fps on most games in software mode, just don't count on Turbo Boost kicking in. I've had a stock i7 for almost 2 years and it's never done so even when I've nearly maxed out all 8 threads! (Yes it's been enabled the whole time.) Anyway a good GPU will make the games look awesome, but if your CPU is weak they'll barely be playable
Well, I understand that. The resolution on the samsung is only 1366x768. I can't run any high resolutions on the go, so it is not really a big deal for me to run high details on games in PCSX2. I just want to be able to run the game with decent framerates. Would I be able to get past native resolution in full screen mode?
Smaller and lighter? How about this one? The GT 325M is much better than a 310M, and would only be a bottleneck (on native) with the most GPU intensive games/scenes. The Core i architecture @ 2.53Ghz will do fine with many games, itself. On that note, what games would you want to play, anyway? This means a great deal with PCSX2.

(12-28-2010, 01:07 AM)bigbang1984 Wrote: Well, I understand that. The resolution on the samsung is only 1366x768. I can't run any high resolutions on the go, so it is not really a big deal for me to run high details on games in PCSX2. I just want to be able to run the game with decent framerates. Would I be able to get past native resolution in full screen mode?

The way a PS2 game will look when run fullscreen on native internal resolution stretched to fit the 1366x768 of you screen is one thing and can be dealt with by making the game run in a smaller window on the screen, or by not minding a rather pixelated screen. But a 310M with it's minimal 64 bit bus width which has the potential to see limitations even at native resolution with games is a whole other issue. You are basically looking at half the performance from a 310M as you would get from a GT 325M, and it's in the range that begins to matter most in this case.