Not understanding PCSX2.....
Okay, I'm new, and I swear I've read the tutorials. But I have no freaking clue what I'm doing with this program.  Sad

I have the PS2 System, I have the Xenosaga games. What I don't have is a functional PS2 (cords are MIA and have been for a few years now) and I really want to play Xenosaga again. So, I downloaded PCSX2 - but I can't figure out how to get it to read anything. I don't speak tech, I actually turned my iPhone into a glorified paperweight several years ago due to deleting a system file. So, if someone could possibly explain to me in non-tech speak on how to set this thing up and work, I'd really appreciate it. I've been fighting to understand it for over a month now, and I still don't get what I'm doing.  

Thank you for any help I get.

Sponsored links

do you mean your PS2 console cannot start at all ?
Because you're going to need it to extract a piece of software called "BIOS" to use pcsx2.
else you won't be able to use the emulator.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Okay, misread what you posted.

Currently, my PS2 is not able to start. We know we have the cords, we just don't know where exactly they are.
do you mean your PS2 console cannot start at all ?
Because you're going to need it to extract a piece of software called "BIOS" to use pcsx2.
else you won't be able to use the emulator.
Currently it cannot start.

What's the difference between BIOS and ISOs?
the bios is a piece of internal software in your PS2.
when you start your PC, before windows loads, you often get a pipcture of the manufacturer and a little "beep".
It's a built-in program that will start in your computer even if you don't have windows. (Basic Input Output System)

There's something similar in the PS2, and you need it to make pcsx2 work.

An iso is an instant image of your PS2 DVD. you make it using imaginf software. the one we do recommend is free and is called Imgburn
-slowly blinks-

Okay........... So....... If I don't have a working PS2, I can't get the BIOS info needed, and thus ISOs won't work? Or am I still not understanding something?
you got it
Okay, next question - How do you hook up a PS2 to your computer to get that? I use a Toshiba Satellite All in One laptop, and the only thing I can picture in my head is someone trying to hotwire a computer and PS2 together >.>
(06-15-2017, 08:45 AM)RenNeko0302 Wrote: Okay, next question - How do you hook up a PS2 to your computer to get that? I use a Toshiba Satellite All in One laptop, and the only thing I can picture in my head is someone trying to hotwire a computer and PS2 together >.>

2 ways :
- basically putting your PS2 and you PC on the same network, then use a memory card "hack" to extract the bios over the network
- doing kinda the same thing, but without the network. Using an USB Key to "dump" the bios on it

everything here : http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Official-...1-0-0#Bios