Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oc the phenom ii x6 but which motherboard?
I'm asking this question on behalf of a buddy of mine. He wanted to know which mother board is best for oc the phenom ii x6.
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram

Sponsored links

something from gigabyte or asus that will be over a certain price (it must be kinda expensive to give more options and stability) and with labels like pro! delux! etc....
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
budget? crosshair iv extreme if he has money to burn. Tongue2
Asus crosshair iv formula.
I don't think the extreme is actually coming out, I waited and waited for it myself and then said screw it.

The formula is the best amd board out right now.

Gigabyte is a nice board, the ud5 and ud7.
But they use an award bios, which is no longer supported by award/phoenix.
If you get a gigabyte, do note that the bios'es will take longer to come out and there will be less of them compared to other brands.
That and the mem clocking support will likely never be on par with the ami bios'es.
If gigabyte would of used an ami bios on th ud7 and the mem clocking potential was better on that board, I would of gotten that instead of the crosshair iv.

There's msi.
But I personally don't like msi's mobo's.
I don't mind there generic vga cards (that's what they are, xfx and gigabyte are the special ones, that make slightly custom bios'es).
But I don't like there mobo's at all, but that's just me.
They might have improved over the last 2 years though...

A cheapo company.
But sometimes they make allright boards.
The 890fx they make can supposedly clock pretty well.

Anything else, I wouldn't bother.

When you goto pick ram, get 2x2gigs.
I got 2x1gigs, and it's not quite enough for every single pc game out there.
It's close...

Most are going for 1600mhz at 6t (266 effective bandwith).

I went for 2000mhz 8t (250 effective).
I'll go for higher when the new bios comes out for the asus.
(ram I got was 2133mhz 9t)

I'm still trying to fight it on the 200mhz mem myself.
Sometimes it's 100% stable, and sometimes it's completely unstable.
I'm not sure if it's timings I can't adjust (there's alot of missing timings in the bios).
Or something else.

But so far I've been able to get the cpu stable at 4ghz and the nb at 3ghz without any probs.
Stock cooling, and close to stock voltages (cpu stock, nb under stock).

It really is a nice board.
And it's not hard at all to redo the thermal gel on the chipsets (takes time to get the stiff paste/tape off but the heatsink assembly is easy to deal with).

ASUS CH4, 1090t @ 4ghz, 2x1gb @ 2ghz, GT240
2x1tb Modded WD Green RAID0, Optiarc 7241S
Modded Enermax 350w

Win7 Ent x86 VLM / Win2K3 Svr Ent SP2-R2 x86 VLM