Off fps drop in persona 4 with certan types of enemies.
I been playing persona 4 in pcsx2 0.9.8, and I notice everytime a enemy that has a shine/sheen effect comes on (Example being those gold rare enemy hands) my fps drops signigantly. In Void Quest there is a mob that sometimes comes in sets of 3, and when these appear my fps in turbo mode goes from 120 down to 13. when they are on screen, the second they off screen it jumps right back up, the EE is only at 30% and GS is at like 9% as well when this happens, so I think it may be a plugin issue with that type of effect. Here is a screencap of the enemies in question that can cause this "bug".

[Image: pcsx2r46002011101916475.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don't mind the persona attacking that never causes me fps drops on anything else. and the fps drop hits even if your looking at these enemies.

Sponsored links

Pc specs?
software mode is your best bet, at least for me it stopped the lag
Try an older GSdx version from it's thread here I remember similar topic or two and some ancient GSdx(or was it whole pcsx2?Tongue) were actually faster for it.
Other things to try - decreasing internal res could help, and you could also try to set "allow 8 bit textures"(or turn it off if it was on) in GSdx options and check it that would be any help. Generally it's gpu limitation or something between GS thread and GPU, meaning GSdx is at fault here.
Specs are
i5-2600 at default clock speed.. I don't remember what that ius atm
8 gb ram (but its a 32 bit app so anything more than 3gb is moot)
Geforce 240gt

Only slowdown I get is with the enemys that have a reflective surface that reflects the background, if I turn the VU hack up to about 2, the fps goes up to 40-50. It seems to be something just with that effect thats causing it. Nothing else gives that kinda slowdown. Was horrible on one of the boss fights heh.
These shine effects are typical frequently updated frame buffer effects, basically your video card memory is saturated.
I guess no way to really fix it? Was very annoying in the last 2 dungeons because most of the mobs had that shine effect so it was watching a constant slide show with the music lagging as well. I finished the game with the true ending though even with this.
my slowdown when bug-like shadows appeared, among others.
Processor: "Phenom II X4 B55 OC 3.5GHz" GPU: "Sapphire HD 6870" SPU: "Realtek ALC889" RAM: "4GB" OS: "Win 7 x64 SP1"
switching to native res when the slowdown happens does it for me.
(10-19-2011, 09:59 PM)Siveria Wrote: I been playing persona 4 in pcsx2 0.9.8, and I notice everytime a enemy that has a shine/sheen effect comes on (Example being those gold rare enemy hands) my fps drops signigantly. In Void Quest there is a mob that sometimes comes in sets of 3, and when these appear my fps in turbo mode goes from 120 down to 13. when they are on screen, the second they off screen it jumps right back up, the EE is only at 30% and GS is at like 9% as well when this happens, so I think it may be a plugin issue with that type of effect. Here is a screencap of the enemies in question that can cause this "bug".

[Image: pcsx2r46002011101916475.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don't mind the persona attacking that never causes me fps drops on anything else. and the fps drop hits even if your looking at these enemies.

I'm using pcsx2 1.1.0 svn r5414 and encountered exactly the same problem, changing the rendering mode to "Direct3D software" relieves but not "solves" this problem, because my CPU is not powerful enough.

Additionally, while playing Xenosaga3, when encountering any enemy / object with shining / gradual-color surface, the game will also become very slow. changing the rendering mode to "Direct3D software" relieves this problem;

In some other games this same problem also presents, it seems like this is a universal problem with the Gsdx video plugin. Somebody said that this is caused by the way that Gsdx utilizes the display adapter hardware, is it true?