[Official Comment Thread] Pcsx2 svn snapshots and user-compiled svn revs
Hi,

Could someone update Visual Studio 11 project references? Current references (revision 5511) are set to Visual Studio 10 projects. This way compilation fails if just Visual Studio 11 is present and no Visual Studio 10.

Sponsored links

Star 
Hello everybody.

Just updated some libraries before compiling the SVN Source.
Everything worked fine. Looks like i got some speed boost in GPU with the new Open GL headers... but maybe it´s just 'placebo' effect.

The sound looked improved on my 5.1 speaker set...maybe someone else want to try the SPU plugin compiled with this.

Anyway... if someone wants to test these updates, the patches were created using Tortoise SVN. Apply them in the 3rd Party folder.

.zip   BZip + GL Extensions + Soundtouch - Source Code Update.zip (Size: 140,68 KB / Downloads: 318)

Below follows what was changed:
Quote:BZIP
Updated to version 1.0.6 of 6 September 2010 - was 1.0.4 of 20 December 2006

Quote:SOUNDTOUCH
1.7.0:
-Sound quality improvements
-Improved flush() to adjust output sound stream duration to match better with ideal duration
-Rewrote x86 cpu feature check to resolve compatibility problems
-Configure script automatically checks if CPU supports mmx & sse compatibility for GNU platform, and the script support now "--enable-x86-optimizations" switch to allow disabling x86-specific optimizations.
-Revised #define conditions for 32bit/64bit compatibility
-gnu autoconf/automake script compatibility fixes
-Tuned beat-per-minute detection algorithm

1.6.0:
- Added automatic cutoff threshold adaptation to beat detection routine to better adapt BPM calculation to different types of music
- Retired 3DNow! optimization support as 3DNow! is nowadays obsoleted and assembler code is nuisance to maintain
-Retired "configure" file from source code package due to autoconf/automake versio conflicts, so that it is from now on to be generated by invoking "boostrap" script that uses locally available toolchain version for generating the "configure" file
-Resolved namespace/label naming conflicts with other libraries by replacing global labels such as INTEGER_SAMPLES with more specific SOUNDTOUCH_INTEGER_SAMPLES etc.
-Updated windows build scripts & project files for Visual Studio 2008 support
- Updated SoundTouch.dll API for .NET compatibility
- Added API for querying nominal processing input & output sample batch sizes

Quote:OPEN GL Extensions & Headers v4.2

The update in the header files - glext.h, glxext.h, and wglext.h - define interfaces (enumerants, prototypes, and for platforms supporting dynamic runtime extension queries, such as Linux and Microsoft Windows, function pointer typedefs).

The file glcorearb.h contains interfaces for the core profile of OpenGL and ARB extensions, as described in appendix G.2 of the OpenGL 4.3 Specification.

After some testing... maybe this could be merged on the oficial SVN.

Regards.
To spare some time patching the SVN, compiling, fixing development environment, i´m attaching these plugins.

They´re compiled with the new libraries, with Enhanced Instruction Set (SSE2 to be usable on AMD Gigs), with QPAR (Parallel Code Generation).

All name with the suffix -tuned, so you don´t risk overwriting the original & oficial plugin.

GSDX32

.zip   GSdx32 b5618m-Tuned-SSE2.zip (Size: 360,8 KB / Downloads: 340)

SPU2-X

.zip   SPU2-X b5559m 2.0.zip (Size: 1,02 MB / Downloads: 320)
Enabling the sse2 optimization is a bit risky, it was turbned off as it can cause recompiler information to get corrupted causing games to crash, this wasnt a mistake Tongue2
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-16-2013, 10:45 AM)refraction Wrote: Enabling the sse2 optimization is a bit risky, it was turbned off as it can cause recompiler information to get corrupted causing games to crash, this wasnt a mistake Tongue2

I really noticed that on VS 2008 and VS 2010.
I´m giving VS 2012 SP2 a shot to check if it solved this problem.

Got the Service Pack 2, and i´m testing framework 110 with all this parameters. So far, so good...Tongue

BTW... congratulations for your and your team great work.Smile

Thanks to you and the other coders, i can play Final Fantasy, Odin Sphere, Valkyrie Profile on a 40" TV, with 1920x1080 pixels, with reduced loading times and with an XBox controller.
lincolnh_br:
As Refraction said, fiddling with compiler optimizations is risky because PCSX2 and GSdx use
self modifying code and other tricks for speed. Compiler optimizations don't take that into
account and may optimize away stuff we need.

We're occasionally looking into 3rd party library updates. Seems we missed the Soundtouch update
which I'll look into, thanks.
The other libraries aren't important right now. Bzip I think is only used for a CDVD plugin we don't work on anymore
and OpenGL stuff is best left to people that work on it (It's a Linux thing right now).
Wink 
Rama, Refraction, thanks for your return!

Tried to help other emulation projects with testing, benchmarking, libraries updating and so... they´re not so receptive.

Looks like that only here, the developers really care about feedback, suggestions end explain things, so we can learn more.

And i really appreciate that...I´m using the PCSX2 code to learn other stuff.

BTW... just saw a shader, and it looked better than all the others i saw.

Does PCSX2 support Hybrid xBR filters?
Thanks for helping out Smile
The soundtouch update is on the SVN already, just waiting for approval from the Linux side.

Dunno what Hybrid xBR filters are but GSdx so far only supports post processing (single pass) shaders.
The opengl update won't yield any improvement. It only add new extensions of the new GL version which we don't use anyway. Anyway I think I uploaded a newer version on my GSdx branch.
after some tricks, i managed to compile a "devel" build of pcsx2

some plugin were broken or missing, so i simply take them from the release version
everything else was compiled by mine vs2008

(mirror)

Attached Files
.7z   pcsx2-dev-5745.7z (Size: 6,29 MB / Downloads: 288)