Only 30-40 fps when playing Final Fantasy 10
Hi, Please take some time to read this.

I have some issues with my Emulator while playing Final Fantasy X. I know that this is kinda redundant since I have seen many threads about this. But most of the threads doesnt contain the solution. Instead, it contains criticism about the low-end computer of the person who asked the question.

So I hope this time, I'll be able to find an answer.

My problem is, Final Fantasy X slows down to 30-40 fps during dialogues and while walking. But the weird thing is, during the Cinematics, it works perfectly! For me thats weird because I think that the Cinematics consumes a lot of graphics resources than normal game environment of FFX like by simply walking. Again, Menus and Cinematics are super fast (60 fps normal / 120 fps turbo). It's just the normal play thing that is having a slow down issue like in a dialogue, walking or fighting a monster. But during cinematics, menus, and other stuff, it is all okay.

Sound is okay, sometimes skips during Cinematics, but it works fine. Another weird thing is, the background music slows down along with the game during Dialogues and while just simply Walking or Fighting an Enemy. But when a Character speaks, it doesnt slow down at all. Just the background music slows down.

Your hardware specs - CPU - Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon 9550/9600 Series 256 MB - 128 Bit
Memory - 1GB RAM
Operating System - Windows Vista

The version of PCSX2 you are using. - 1.0.0

Any non default settings you are using. - I am not sure what does "non-default settings" mean. But I am using the GSDx and other Plugins included in the PCSX2.

What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD. - Just Final Fantasy X for now.

Note: I know I have a very low specs compare to most of the members here. But let me tell you one thing, just like you, I just want to play PS2 games. When I was a kid, it is my dream to have a PS2. But now I am a dad, I cant prioritize that. So playing PS2 games in PCSX2 using my Home Computer would fulfill that dream. The reason why I posted this question is because I saw some videos in Youtube that they can play FFX using a Pentium 4-powered computer that is only running on a very low Graphics Card (lower than mine).

So please, if anyone could help me? Please post the answers, plugins, or settings that I need to configure. Thanks!

E-mail me if you got a solid solution for my problem. [email protected]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

try the settings in my sig
Quote:When I was a kid, it is my dream to have a PS2. But now I am a dad, I cant prioritize that
you need to own a PS2 to play pcsx2...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
you have to configure the graphics plug in

change it to directx10 or directx11 hardware. tick select native resolution. that should get you to the normal speed which is 60fps. also you can try turning on speedhacks

enjoy the game Smile
(10-16-2012, 07:14 AM)solidus Wrote: you have to configure the graphics plug in

change it to directx10 or directx11 hardware. tick select native resolution. that should get you to the normal speed which is 60fps. also you can try turning on speedhacks

enjoy the game Smile

Thanks for the help. It is very informative. I'm gonna try theses solutions and update you if it fixes the issue.

But there is one thing, whenever I choose directx10 in my GSDX Plugin (i dont have dx11 please help me how to install and use it for pcsx2), when I play the game, it will tell give me an error (Image of the error attached) something like there is no driver or no directx10. Which is kinda confusing since I am using Vista. But I saw something in Youtube that they paste the .dll file of directx9 (i wonder if its the same thing for directx10) into the root folder of pcsx2. Also, I am always using the Native Resolution.

(OH I TRIED USING DIRECTX9 NULL ON GSDX PLUGIN, AND I CANT SEE ANYTHING BUT IT IS STILL SLOWING DOWN WHEN IT STARTED THE STARTING CREDITS AFTER THE "FINAL FANTASY X PROJECT" LOGO. YOU'LL KNOW THAT IT IS THE STARTING CREDITS ALREADY SINCE YOU WILL HEAR THE PIANO PLAYING. THE FPS ON THAT PART IS STILL 25-30 FPS.)

Can any of you tell me what to do? Any thoughts about this? By the way, I noticed that it only runs slowly when there are sounds involved especially Background Music. I tried turning off the sound plugin, but its the slowing down. I saw a forum post from PCSX2 that the sound plugin should not be an issue because it doesnt usually slow the game down. It might slow some games, but only 3% slow compared to normal.

Thanks.

@jesalvein - your statement doesnt help me with my issue. If you got nothing good to say, then better not to make a comment.

To solidus and saiki, thanks for the comments. Please try to check my reply which just above this comment. Still got some questions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

go to "run" and type in "dxdiag"

this will show u the current version of directx which is on your windows

i got the following info from a site:-

Quote:DirectX 9 is supported in Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP. This is the latest version of DirectX that's compatible with Windows XP

DirectX 10 is supported in Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista

i am guessing your vista doesn't have directx 10 because u are getting an error message when u select directx 10 hardware in the graphics plug. thus u need to install it. google it and find out from where u can get it

as for directx 11:-

Quote:DirectX 11 is supported in Windows 8 and Windows 7. In Windows Vista, DirectX 11 is only supported after installation of a "platform update"

thus you have to download a windows update and then install directx 11

if u have a 32 bit windows then get the update from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...en&id=3274

if u have a 64 bit windows then get the update from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...en&id=4390

install the update and restart your machine. now you can install directx 11. google it and find out from where u can get it

now hopefully directx 11 hardware will appear in the graphics plug
Hi solidus,

Again, thanks for the information. I went to DX Diag, it shows that I have DirectX10. That is why I mentioned that it is kinda weird because I know that my Vista is using DirectX10. Got any other things in mind? I am really looking forward to use DX10 on my GSDx.

I really wanna get this game working.

Thanks.

(I cant update to DirectX11 because my Vista is not yet on Service Pack 2. I know its a hassle. It seems that I can't update it to SP2 or even SP1. But lets move on because its not the issue.)
(10-16-2012, 11:39 AM)solidus Wrote: go to "run" and type in "dxdiag"

this will show u the current version of directx which is on your windows

i got the following info from a site:-

i am guessing your vista doesn't have directx 10 because u are getting an error message when u select directx 10 hardware in the graphics plug. thus u need to install it. google it and find out from where u can get it

as for directx 11:-

thus you have to download a windows update and then install directx 11

if u have a 32 bit windows then get the update from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...en&id=3274

if u have a 64 bit windows then get the update from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...en&id=4390

install the update and restart your machine. now you can install directx 11. google it and find out from where u can get it

now hopefully directx 11 hardware will appear in the graphics plug

Hi solidus,

Again, thanks for the information. I went to DX Diag, it shows that I have DirectX10. That is why I mentioned that it is kinda weird because I know that my Vista is using DirectX10. Got any other things in mind? I am really looking forward to use DX10 on my GSDx.

I really wanna get this game working.

Thanks.

(I cant update to DirectX11 because my Vista is not yet on Service Pack 2. I know its a hassle. It seems that I can't update it to SP2 or even SP1. But lets move on because its not the issue.)
i am unsure what u should do Sad

btw what is the brand and model number of the computer? can u put on it a different windows?
(10-16-2012, 01:36 PM)solidus Wrote: i am unsure what u should do Sad

btw what is the brand and model number of the computer? can u put on it a different windows?

Its a Samsung PC. I noticed that the Divine Graphic Plugin solves my issue with slowdown. But the graphics is kinda distorted, and I cant fix it because the language is different and it consists of symbols.

Is there any Divine Graphics plugin that is on English?