Optimizing Emulator Settings
Hi folks, new to these boards.

Here's my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rm2qbv

I've played around with speedhacks and with the GS settings, but all I can seem to manage is one of the following scenarios:

1.) Averaging 50fps with occasional significant lag in the 20-15 fps range with bizarre sound stuttering and drunken-like speech

2.) Hyperdrive 120-200+fps with superaccelerated distorted sound and characters moving entirely too fast to control.

Help finding a balance please

Sponsored links

If emulation (especially PCSX2/Dolphin) are going to be main uses for this computer, then I'd recommend going with an Intel processor. If you need a budget processor, check out this thread on the forums. Basically OP has managed to run very demanding games on a big overclock on an unlocked pentium haswell. Looks like a fantastic deal. Motherboard shouldn't matter as long as it supports overclocking.

Edit: I'm dumb. I misread the build and thought that OP was planning on purchasing that motherboard and processor since the other parts were listed as purchased.
How did you achieve one or the other? (Please post your current settings and tell us what you tried so far)

Edit: How does recommending an Intel processor could be a good suggestion to OP???
This particular Pentium is the best performer for 'emulation' AND the cheapest priced CPU. Otherwise, the FX6300 is a great 'all-around' CPU, but for shear emulation muscle, the G3258 has the power.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Yeah for an all around PC I still recommend the FX 6300. Especially if modern PC gaming is a concern, as many benchmarks show that Pentium limiting heavily in them. However, if it's gonna mainly be an emulation box, or with a focus on older games, that Pentium is a killer deal.

Anyway, if OP already owns that CPU, then they will need to overclock it to at least 4.1 Ghz for good PCSX2 performance. This is based on my own tests on the FX6300 with the exact same single threaded performance.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(07-14-2014, 01:18 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Anyway, if OP already owns that CPU, then they will need to overclock it to at least 4.1 Ghz for good PCSX2 performance. This is based on my own tests on the FX6300 with the exact same single threaded performance.

Sorry but that's wrong...the pentium at stock, with Haswell cores is equal to an FX6300 running at about 4.6GHZ.

Overclock it to 4.5GHZ and it would perform at an equivalent 6Ghz FX6300.

Haswell cores are 50-60% faster clock for clock.
System:

Fractal Meshify C Dark Tint
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Intel i9 9900K (5Ghz 1.335vlts)
BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 DDR4
EVGA RTX 2080
512Gb Gigabyte NVMe SSD (Boot Drive)
1Tb Crucial NVMe SSD (Games)
2Tb Seagate HD (Steam)
3Tb Seagate HD (Media)
6Tb Seagate HD (Backup, External)
Corsair 850w RMX Gold PSU
(07-14-2014, 08:06 PM)ThEoUtCaSt Wrote: Sorry but that's wrong...the pentium at stock, with Haswell cores is equal to an FX6300 running at about 4.6GHZ.

Overclock it to 4.5GHZ and it would perform at an equivalent 6Ghz FX6300.

Haswell cores are 50-60% faster clock for clock.

I know everything you said, but what about my statement is wrong?

Just because Haswell is faster(and it's not quite the margin you say, but it's quite a bit) doesn't change the fact that an FXx3xx chip at 4.1 will run PCSX2 nicely.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD