Options for North American Ps2 Users with PAL games?
I imagine im not going to get the answer im hoping for but its worth just finding out. So i have the Japanese version of Siren 2, as you would imagine, there is no option for english subtiles or anything like that. This game has also been done in English with english voice acting and english subtitles. But this version was only released in Europe and thus that wonderful PAL video format prevents me from just using SwapMagic to play it. So with the wonderful world of PS2 emulation and Alcohol 120 and etc., is it possible to like remove the Japanese voice samples and replace them with the English voice samples? Or maybe burn the Pal disc as a disc image on the PC and burn it onto a NTSC blank cd? I know maybe what im asking may be impossible to do or just plain stupid to ask. But I really want to play this game and I would like to know what my options are if I have any. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored links

1. Is your TV that old? Most of recent TVs, including CRTs, support both PAL and NTSC formats these days.
  2. The voice and text in a disc can be removed and replaced, but it requires years of studying and lotta skills. It cannot be done by a casual user. If you're interested, Google for something like Fatal Frame 4 English (replaces text) or some undubbed versions of Square Enix games (replaces voice) and see how they did.
  3. NTCS or PAL is determine by the content of the disc, not by the physical media. By calling a disc "PAL" or "NTSC", they're referring to the content inside, not the disc itself being PAL or NTSC.
  4. As far as I know there're tools for converting PS2 games between PAL and NTSC. I never use any of them, so I cannot tell the result. But they look like hacks to make the disc work rather than converting it.
sorry to destroy your reality, but there is no such thing as a Pal or NTSC dvd. the content of the disk itself is what is region coded.
(08-05-2012, 03:17 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: sorry to destroy your reality, but there is no such thing as a Pal or NTSC dvd. the content of the disk itself is what is region coded.
Like I said I already braced myself for the worst answer. But still since most modern up-to-date tvs support PAL, (The ELF file I used to dump my bios was in PAL and I saw the TV screen in a video tutorial going crazy with the screen jittering and it was apparently due to the old NTSC tv, but when I tried it, everything looked perfect) and since I have Swap Magic, if I acquire the PAL disc through ebay or something, can I give that a try? I know i still have to worry about the dual layers on the disc but im still going to try to do something.
Isn't it possible to play that game using one of the homebrew loaders?
With your swap magic exploit you could simply install FreeMCBoot for a lot more options on executing software on your PS2.
(08-05-2012, 02:28 PM)rama Wrote: Isn't it possible to play that game using one of the homebrew loaders?
With your swap magic exploit you could simply install FreeMCBoot for a lot more options on executing software on your PS2.
I actually have FreeMCBoot installed on my ps2 since I had to dump my BIOS for the emulator. So youre saying its possible that with my compatible TV, SwapMagic, and a FMCB program I can play a PAL disc? Th e only problem is getting the disc. Thanks to Paypal's new idiotic business practices, I cant really use Ebay to get it. Is there a site offers PAL games for the PS2?
You can play any region game into any region PS2 with FMCB(with ESR actually)
When you get that PAL game you have to make a image of it and patch it with ESR Disk Patcher and then burn the disk with ImgBurn(best on Verbatim DVD+R and booktype it to DVD-ROM)...because the PS2 allows only games from the region of the PS2

Then if you "installed" ESR along with FMCB,then you will be able to play that game(unless if it's not one of the few games that are not working with ESR)

The PS2 allows running burned but only if they are Audio CD or DVD Video type and since the ESR Patcher patch the image in a way that the PS2 thinks that you are trying to run a DVD Video disk(only DVD games work with ESR),the protection is not activated and ESR start the game.
Good news, I managed to get a PAL copy from Ebay, im getting it from Australia so it might take a little while. Still, so is there a FMCB program that will let me boot the pal disc?
FMCB only works on BIOS version 2.2 or earlier.
(08-06-2012, 08:00 AM)Livy Wrote: FMCB only works on BIOS version 2.2 or earlier.

Yes,on the newer version is removed the part that was crucial for loading FMCB without any.
On the older bios version,every time you start the PS2,the PS2 is checking the memory card for update for the DVD player and FMCB is using that fact to be loaded

(08-06-2012, 06:31 AM)CubitFoxstar93 Wrote: Good news, I managed to get a PAL copy from Ebay, im getting it from Australia so it might take a little while. Still, so is there a FMCB program that will let me boot the pal disc?

Since you used FMCB to dump your bios,that means you have a older 2.30 bios.
The program that you need to run other region games(as I said you have to make a backup of it and batch the image before burning it)is ESR.
It comes with the FMCB installation package but you decide what you want to install.

Use uLaunchELF and check the mc0:/BOOT/ or mc0:/APPS/ for a file named ESR.ELF
If you don't have it,just copy it from the installation package to your USB drive(the one you used for the bios dumping)and use uLaunchELF to copy the file into the mc0:/BOOT/ folder