Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OverClocking Newbie :p
Hiiiiiii EveryOne !

i'm new in the CPU overclocking process and i'm really interested to know more about it .. okay.. first of all i want to know the defects of this operation,and how can i do it on my new CPU intel core 2 Quad Q9400 , please 'bout "cooling " i know nothing at all !!Blush so any help , any link would be appreciated Smile and maybe i get core 2 duo E7400 so how could it be then !?
thanks again !!!!

Sponsored links

Almost the entire Core 2 line is fantastic for overclocking. The best way to start is google "overclock Q9400 and <your motherboard>"

You should be able to find a TON of information that way.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Core 2 Quad Q9400 > Core 2 Duo E7400. It's obvious that 4 cores beat 2 cores, and besides, Core 2 Quad architecture is newer and better.

The CPU voltage is the most risky setting here. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE to go above 1.45v, unless it's certified for that. It can permanently damage components, and lower their lifecycle.

Simply turn on PC, press Del or Delete to enter BIOS. BIOSes are different, just look for CPU multiplier, CPU clock speed settings (FSB), memory ratio (set it to lowest possible), and voltage. Set the voltage to 1.45. Max your multiplier, save settings and restart. Enter BIOS and change CPU clock speeds, raising it slowly (I'd recommend adding 5 or 10 to it every "successful" overclock), restart, try again, etc until when it's booting, the computer auto-restarts itself.

Now don't be scared, plug off the computer, simply open the case, pull out the battery and put it back in, then plug in the computer.

Enter BIOS, and go back to the settings of your successful overclock. Now, once you're in Windows, run PCSX2 0.9.2 (excellent utility to check stability of the overclock, really) for 15 minutes. If it's OK after that, you're good to go!

Watch the components' temperature! You also possibly void your warranty by opening your case.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.87 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
RAM: 2 x 512 MB Kingston DDR2
MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

Thanks Guys ! 'bout cooling thing ... what shall i do ? Cpu cooling methods are confusing me a bit !!
and will normal heat sinks " fans " will do the job good when overclocking !?? what about the original fan that comes with the boxed CPU ?
Arigatoguzaimasu People !!
BOX cooling can allow you for liitle OC but dont expect much.
OVerclocking is lottery every single cpu have different OC abillitiesm so no one will tell you how much you can OC it.
And there are many things influencing OC, motherboard, RAM, if one is crappy you will not get much as well.
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
Get a cooler like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835106085

Pretty sure the Q9400 is socket LGA 775, so that should work. Damn good cooler for just under $30 from a good company.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
My Core 2 Duo E6300 is overclocked from 1.86 GHz to 2.87 GHz, on stock cooling.

As they said, different CPUs overclock differently. It's not just about models, it's about revisions, some revisions make you able to overclock a lot more. For example, say your Q9400 can overclock +0.1 GHz. Another PC with the same settings you have could be able to overclock +0.5 GHz.

Also, are you Japanese? The way you type makes it look so. The way you type and the Japanese word. xD
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.87 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
RAM: 2 x 512 MB Kingston DDR2
MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

Revisions is a bit boolshit .. i have M0 which should be good for OC but it isnt ..
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
Thanksss Tongue2
Even CPUs within revisions can be very different... Literally every CPU is unique... There are some general ideas you can go by... but if you don't buy a 4ghz processor, you can't be certain your CPU will reach 4ghz... or 3.5ghz... or any other clockrate above what your CPU is.

And as said before, motherboard and ram also play a huge part (motherboard especially) in overclocking. If you bought a prebuilt computer (IE dell, HP, etc) chances are you won't even get the option of overclocking in your BIOS. If you did get a custom PC, you still may not have any or very many options to really push your CPU to the max.
[Image: 2748844.png]