Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overclocking help?
So, I'm somewhat concerned when it comes to overclocking. I would like to see what my current chip can do, but don't want me naivety to be the cause of frying it.

My CPU is the Intel Core 2 Duo QX9750 Extreme Edition. Now normally, I would just google a silly question like this, but... The CPU I have is hard to come by to say the least. It was a chip never released to the public, so getting second opinions on it are tough.

Does anyone have any advice? How much it too much? Voltages, and what not?

I don't know if it matters, but I'll put my specs out there as well.

CPU: QX9750
MOBO: 790i FTW
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 280

EDIT: Also, while I'm here. Any advise in overclocking my Graphics Card as well?

Sponsored links

if it wasnt released to the general public why would you think you should ask for help at a PS2 emulator forum?

people who get hardware they cant use annoy me =\

anyways, as far as getting support for overclocking, i dont think ive seen any other advice except "google it"

some of us overclock, some of us dont, but this isnt the place to ask for help.
CPU : i7 4930k @ 4.0GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1603MHz 1.60v
GPU : Asus R9 290X 4GB
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
OSYS: Windows 10 Pro
google for help and experiment with the voltages, we can't help you unless you help yourself first.
q6600 OC @ 3.3Ghz, 4gb ddr2 ram, nvidia gtx 260, 2x 1 tb hard disk
Just bump everything up little by little (clock speed and FSB multiplier) in your BIOS until everything stops being stable, then bump it back down to the last settings that were stable. If you need to, increase the voltage a little bit. Don't do that if you are overly worried about frying your PC, but most modern computer hardware has a lot of fail safes in place that will prevent you from frying everything.

If there isn't a guide for your specific processor, just experiment a little bit. You won't really run the risk of doing any damage if you just play with multipliers and clock settings, so stick to that if you are paranoid.

Also, keep in mind that you MIGHT have to raise your memory speed as well to keep up with a higher processor speed.

DISCLAIMER: I am not to be held responsible for any damage you do to your parts, but if you follow my advice and experiment in small increments, you really shouldn't have to worry about frying anything.

Graphics card overclocking is easy. Get RivaTuner and play around with clock settings until it stops being stable. When I overclock my GPU, I always just set the fans at 100% though just to be safe.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
i forgot to mention when you manage to overclock your cpu test the stability in windows by running prime95 for a few hours.
q6600 OC @ 3.3Ghz, 4gb ddr2 ram, nvidia gtx 260, 2x 1 tb hard disk
(05-22-2009, 03:25 PM)unauthorizedlogin Wrote: if it wasnt released to the general public why would you think you should ask for help at a PS2 emulator forum?

anyways, as far as getting support for overclocking, i dont think ive seen any other advice except "google it"

Who says I can't use it? I'm interested in overclocking my current CPU. And there is little to none documentation on it. So I figured a fairly tech savvy forum like this one would offer some advice.

People who reply to posts, but don't actually post anything worthwhile annoy me.

And thank you for the advise Krazy. I would play around with the settings to see what kind of performance I can get. One last question, is it better to change this FSB in the BIOS or in a program in Windows?
I've always done my overclocking strictly through the BIOS. Doing it through programs is always a little sketchy, more chances for things to go wrong.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Pretty sure having an ES chip outside the test lab is illegal Tongue2

But anyways, no, your chip isn't too different from the mass market one. In most scenarios, the ES chips do overclock better because they aren't restricted.

As mentioned above, the key to overclocking is monitoring your temp and checking stability. Best way to achieve a stable overclock is with the BIOS, as 3rd party apps could screw up.

Before we start btw, what kind of cooling are you running? Stock? PSU info would also be helpful.
(05-22-2009, 09:35 PM)Scott Wrote:
(05-22-2009, 03:25 PM)unauthorizedlogin Wrote: if it wasnt released to the general public why would you think you should ask for help at a PS2 emulator forum?

Who says I can't use it? I'm interested in overclocking my current CPU. And there is little to none documentation on it. So I figured a fairly tech savvy forum like this one would offer some advice.

People who reply to posts, but don't actually post anything worthwhile annoy me.

And thank you for the advise Krazy. I would play around with the settings to see what kind of performance I can get. One last question, is it better to change this FSB in the BIOS or in a program in Windows?

why not try and crawl before you run? im not the one buying over 1k in parts and then asking everyone else for help because i have no clue. noone said you cant use it, its just you know nothing about what you have and its pathetic.

Google it
CPU : i7 4930k @ 4.0GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1603MHz 1.60v
GPU : Asus R9 290X 4GB
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
OSYS: Windows 10 Pro
dont overclock if u dont know what u do.

yeah, this thread somewhat bothered me,,,
If you download the PS2 bios illegally, you are breaking the law. Courts around the world have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal downloading.
[Image: makemydaynow.jpg]