Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overclocking my CPU
So since a couple of months I'm the proud owner of a AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition which runs on 3.7 Ghz. Now I've asked this before on this forum at what speed this cpu could run on a stock AMD CPU Cooler and they told me 4 Ghz. Now I was wondering if someone could tell me how I shall o/c it. Would it be enough/work if I changed the multiplier instead of 18.5 to 20x and leave it at that or do I need to increase the voltage aswell?!?

Sponsored links

yes.try first without increasing the voltage and then run a stress test with a cpu benchmark program like (prime-95).If it crashes (bsod) after about 15 minutes leave it as is(i mean to stress test for at least 5 hours).If it crashes try increasing the voltage a little like,let's say from 1.00052 to 1.00053 V.Well not a perfect example(to lazy to enter bios and find some real values Tongue ).
Again test until it doesn't crash for a lot of time.
My advice is not to increase the voltage much when you are with the stock cooler and also that the time you will may spend trying to reach 4 Ghz won't worth it considering the almost invisible performance improvements.
sry for my bad english.i hope i didn't confuse you.
Yes.
Just try 20x @ 200Mhz (4.0Ghz) with stock voltage first.
This can not hurt (unless something was bad to begin with).

I think stock Vcore is like 1.36v on that processor.
You could try like 1.375v if stock doesn't hold 4.0Ghz stable.
Consider your max stressed temps before increasing the voltage more at that point.
Voltage is standard 1.472v

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2294277

Unfortunately windows crashes after about 5 minutes. I need to delve deeper into this things Smile

When overclocking, you want to leave as little things left on auto as possible, because the bios will overcompensate far too much and give too much voltage, way more than is needed. Absolutely no way you need 1.47vcore for 3.7. I'd bet anything it's on auto. Switch the voltage for the vcore to manual and maybe start with 1.4v for 4GHz, and keep your temps monitored, with HWMonitor, or AMD Overdrive. Use P95, or IBT for testing heat and stability, and rinse and repeat if you need more volts, up by like 0.01v each time until stable (if your not at 1.4) Ensure your cooling policy is on active, and if you have any bios setting for min fan speed, turn it up a bit.
1.475v at stock...?
That can't be right...

How hot is that sucker during a stress test?
1.475v?? o_O whoa dude, you're nearing the limit there...
(03-17-2012, 03:38 PM)Asmodean Wrote: When overclocking, you want to leave as little things left on auto as possible, because the bios will overcompensate far too much and give too much voltage, way more than is needed. Absolutely no way you need 1.47vcore for 3.7. I'd bet anything it's on auto. Switch the voltage for the vcore to manual and maybe start with 1.4v for 4GHz, and keep your temps monitored, with HWMonitor, or AMD Overdrive. Use P95, or IBT for testing heat and stability, and rinse and repeat if you need more volts, up by like 0.01v each time until stable (if your not at 1.4) Ensure your cooling policy is on active, and if you have any bios setting for min fan speed, turn it up a bit.

this is true for the main things, like ICH(PCH)/IOH, VTT and QPI(if you have QPI)
(03-18-2012, 12:54 AM)Rezard Wrote: 1.475v at stock...?
That can't be right...

How hot is that sucker during a stress test?

AFIAK AMD got some high voltages my athlon64 consume pretty much high voltage also
I double checked it in the BIOS and automatically it is putting it on 1.47x v Smile I can't find the stock Voltage of the 980 BE though.