Overclocking not working
I tryed to use OC with PCSX2 today. And i found a strange behaviour.

I found a place in a game, where PCSX2 reached EE:100% and with low fps (with no OC, that means -> CPU bottleneck).

When I OC the CPU to 115-120% (2.4GHz -> ~2.8GHz ), the FPS does not go higer. Just the EE CPU usage goes down to 80-85%.

I checked that it is not a VSync issue, that is why I post.

EDIT: Here a shot ilustrating the issue. First one without OC. Second one, with a 13% of OC.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=24786]

I apreciate any help. Thanks.

MY SPECS:
Q6600 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM 800MHz
ATI 5570
W7 x64

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

cpu might might not be the only bottelneck you have... your graphiccard seems to be a little like 4670, which would mean you might need a better graphiccard for certain games (not sure), but either way, you aren't telling which game it is your trying to play, and nor are you telling us which settings you are using for that game.
Make sure you don't have Vsync enabled/allowed in your videocard driver. If the nominal refresh rate can't be reached the FPS is cut down to a value that allow the synchronizing, what may mean around half that refresh rate.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Well it seems a little odd, however the values are within acceptable fluctuations...You need to make a long-time test. See if the FPS overall improve or not.

Wooo 100th post
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU
(07-15-2010, 04:25 PM)Wh87 Wrote: cpu might might not be the only bottelneck you have... your graphiccard seems to be a little like 4670, which would mean you might need a better graphiccard for certain games (not sure), but either way, you aren't telling which game it is your trying to play, and nor are you telling us which settings you are using for that game.

Doesn't matter the game. But this one specially is FF12. My grapics card is enough for that game. These tests are at 1080p but with "native" resolution is just the same.

(07-15-2010, 04:48 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Make sure you don't have Vsync enabled/allowed in your videocard driver. If the nominal refresh rate can't be reached the FPS is cut down to a value that allow the synchronizing, what may mean around half that refresh rate.
As I said in the main post. Is not a Vsync Problem, turning off the frame limiter does not boost up.

(07-15-2010, 04:49 PM)SamSoNight Wrote: Well it seems a little odd, however the values are within acceptable fluctuations...You need to make a long-time test. See if the FPS overall improve or not.

Wooo 100th post
The shot is from a quite long test. Fluctuations are normal, but it never passes 92% of CPU usage. With no OC it is always at 99-100%.

I'm going to test more games, but no all of them go below 100% easily... I will post updates.
Uh, sorry you right, I didn't notice you already said it, my bad.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I find this too, or rather, I find that I can't seem to get over 130ish FPS in games. The cpu can be at 50% (on a dualcore) and the EE can be at 30-40% and i delimit stuff and only occasionally will i get (like during a black screen or a menu screen) over 130 (though usually like in a menu it'll go right up to 200~fps).

I'm not sure that the EE and GS are naturally every value you actually need to worry about. There could just be a few things that aren't reporting that value 100%.

I notice a few things like demi in FFX cause massive slowdowns.

Also how can you play FFXII it's goddamn terrible. i've tried a few times now and it's just like poking my eyes with a fork! The only thing i enjoy is questing those monsters but then i realised a better game exists for that: Monster Hunter.
Have you tried running it in native res?
That should isolate your CPU somewhat, to see what affect your overclocks have on FF 12.

I'm currently playing that game on an AMD x2 240 (Overclocked to 3.5GHz) CPU.
My video card is an nVidia 8600 GT, and I set res to 2x scaling.
The game is playable so far with my setup (I just made my first SunStone!), but there's dips down to about 45 FPS in some places.
When i test it at native res, I'm at 60 FPS solid, but native res, as yall know, looks kinda crappy on a HDTV ~_~
I'm gonna get a new video card soon, I'm just waiting for the 1GB version of the GTX460's to go on sale...
Hopefully that'll be enough to get my rig to do ff 12 at 60 fps all the time; but I digress.

Go ahead and try the native res thing, and see if you notice any measurable differences with your overclock. Wink
EDIT
Forgot to add something!
FF 12 was unplayably slow for me, even at native res, in a lot of places, when i was at stock cpu speed (2.8 GHz).
Hopefully that intell of yours is better than the amd I have (intels usually are better, iirc)
My PCSX2 Rig:Windows XP x32 & Windows 7 x64.
i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz.
nVIDIA GTX 460 1 GB.
>Dun Click Here<
I have just done more tests with this game. After this, I will make more tests with more games.

What is realy strange is that PCSX2 console keeps saying that my CPU speed is 2.399GHz when it is at 10% OC (2.64GHz)

These are the tests with just 10% OC of the CPU speed. As you can see there is no diference between the native and 1080p so is not GPU bottleneck.

Vsync OFF, and without Framelimiter the speed is the same.
Native:
[Image: 67468418.jpg]
Native with OC:
[Image: nocvj.jpg]
1920x1080:
[Image: 86351360.jpg]
1920x1080 with OC:
[Image: hdoc.jpg]
Checked MGS3. Same thing.