Poll: Is EE overclocking a useful feature?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.49%
43 91.49%
No
8.51%
4 8.51%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Overclocking the EE (discussion) (testers wanted)
(01-31-2015, 03:09 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: You are the one who opened the initial issue on Github, right?

Since you did it yourself, I'm curious what you used for the Scalar values.

I used 1,2,1 for the first slider position and 0,1,0 for the second one.
Yes, I am.
I really didn't understand much about the scalars so I picked the smallest.
Can you tell me what file and line was it again? XD

Sponsored links

Line 1119 of iR5900-32.cpp has the scalar values. They are set based on the EE slider position. Here is the setup I was using so far:

Code:
switch( EmuConfig.Speedhacks.EECycleRate )
    {

case 0:        // EE clock 50%
            scalarLow = 7;
            scalarMid = 9;
            scalarHigh = 7;
        break;

case 1:        // EE clock 70%
            scalarLow = 5;
            scalarMid = 7;
            scalarHigh = 5;
            break;

case 2:    return s_nBlockCycles >> 3; // default cycle rate

case 3:        // EE clock 130%
            scalarLow = 1;
            scalarMid = 2;
            scalarHigh = 1;
            break;

case 4:        // EE clock 150%
            scalarLow = 0;
            scalarMid = 1;
            scalarHigh = 0;
            break;
        // Added insane rates on popular request (rama)
        //NO_DEFAULT
        default:
            scalarLow = 2;
            scalarMid = 3;
            scalarHigh = 2;

//if (EmuConfig.Speedhacks.EECycleRate > 2 && EmuConfig.Speedhacks.EECycleRate < 100) {
                //scalarLow *= EmuConfig.Speedhacks.EECycleRate;
                //scalarMid *= EmuConfig.Speedhacks.EECycleRate;
                //scalarHigh *= EmuConfig.Speedhacks.EECycleRate;
            //}
    }

Case 3 and 4 are the overclocked modes there. Basically the Scalars are a type of timing - a delay if you will. Smaller values = less delay = the emulated EE is running faster. More values = more delay = the emulated EE is running slower. That's how the EE cycle rate hack works - it underclocks the EE to make it take less power to emulate. The overclock just works in reverse.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I used all scalars = 1. I didn't know those could go to 0. Blink
My programming skills are those of someone on a 2nd year of engineering. So I can't help much.

Internal fps measure would be awesome. Happy
I was skipping some frames while playing and turned out it was desktop composition skipping when gpu is near 100% while I was thinking it was the game.Glare Dedicated fullscreen would be good too.
(01-31-2015, 03:27 AM)fredgido Wrote: I used all scalars = 1. I didn't know those could go to 0. Blink
My programming skills are those of someone a 2nd year of engineering. So I can't help much.

Internal fps measure would be awesome. Happy
I was skipping some frames while playing and turned out it was desktop composition skipping when gpu is near 100% while I was thinking it was the game.Glare Dedicated fullscreen would be good too.

Yeah, they can go to 0, but that is what refraction said might cause some stuff to break.

I can program quite well myself, just not in C. I use BASIC languages. I can tinker around in C a bit though.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I would also love to give this build a test, is there any other benefits from EE overclock ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Blyss, I'm curious, does this also run the vector units faster?

Also, I'm willing to test out some games.
The VU have only a basic timing implementation. Iit's been a while but I think they only spend some EE cycles on VIF events, not real timing at all.
You can decrease those cycles and it will change the behaviour in some games but the effect isn't really that of "speeding up the VUs".

Anyway, the actual EE overclock feature is a nice toy to play around with and I'm sure there's a couple popular games that will run much better
with this on (on a very fast pc, of course). It shouldn't be easy to activate though, maybe even hidden, to avoid confusing users.
anyway to OC the GS? i think it's much better than EE.
I don't think, that's possible Tongue2
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(01-31-2015, 01:25 PM)ssakash Wrote: I don't think, that's possible Tongue2

Increased VRAM ? high clocks ? Higher Memory Clocks ? Tongue