PAL 60hz and NTSC quality
I´ve read an article on a website so as to get more into this whole PAL and NTSC thingy.
So it looks like PAL, even tough it has a lower frame rate compared to NTSC, it display a picture with slightly better resolution and color than NTSC games.
My question is: Running a PAL game at 60hz (when the games have that option of course)will it reduce the quality?

Sponsored links

Well they call it "Never The Same Colour" for a reason Tongue
<REDACTED>
It's still 20 or so percent faster than PAL though.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
Is there anything good about SECAM lol?
<REDACTED>
(11-25-2010, 03:38 PM)Fezzer Wrote: Well they call it "Never The Same Colour" for a reason Tongue

LOL
So ok,PAL is better, and running it at 60hz won´t reduce it´s quality right?
(11-25-2010, 06:24 PM)Fezzer Wrote: Is there anything good about SECAM lol?

Never heard of that so i did a research,and lol no i don´t think there´s anything good about SECAM since almost no one outside and inside french territories use it xD (at least that´s the part i read Tongue2)
If you set the resolution manually, then the PAL and NTSC version on Pcsx2 will look the same, just 50Hz and 60Hz respectively. Running a PAL game at 60Hz however, unless it's designed for that, will run faster than intended, which is usually not fun.

But you should not be concerned with the quality.
(11-25-2010, 09:02 PM)kakashisensei Wrote: So ok,PAL is better, and running it at 60hz won´t reduce it´s quality right?

Depends on the game, some games are lazy conversions and you get stretched pictures (part of the higher resolution thing) that end up looking as fatter characters for example or simply needing to move the screen so it fits the TV resulting in missing parts of the picture being seen. If you don't care about that and taking in count you wouldn't have the problem with the missing picture with a monitor and PCSX2 then I don't see why they'd be lower quality.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(11-26-2010, 12:15 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Depends on the game, some games are lazy conversions and you get stretched pictures (part of the higher resolution thing) that end up looking as fatter characters for example or simply needing to move the screen so it fits the TV resulting in missing parts of the picture being seen. If you don't care about that and taking in count you wouldn't have the problem with the missing picture with a monitor and PCSX2 then I don't see why they'd be lower quality.

Oh ok,thanks for explaining Smile
Well the reason i started this thread is because i was playing resident evil 4 on my cousin´s tv and i tried switching to 60hz (since on my tv the image would display black and white) and it just looked awesome. I mean the gameplay was much smoother and it looked liked the image quality was better and all,but then i read that NTSC in terms of image quality was worse than PAL and i was wondering if this was true then how come the image was slightly better in NTSC framerate on my PAL game? Maybe it´s not, but it looks like it is..I´d do a screenshot comparison but i bought the game recently and my pc´s dvd driver is messed up so i can´t play it on pcsx2...
Well NTSC mostly runs @ 60Hz (60 fps) While PAL Runs @ 50Hz (50 fps) I would say that the PAL System is runs at a lower fps, and thus uses lesser of your gfx then NTSC Does, myself don't see a real difference between NTSC and PAL, cause on my WII I don't see any difference between PAL & NTSC. Ok NTSC has a stranger resolution then PAL, but besides that no real difference. That's why I see definetly a difference with PCSX2 games. My Persona 3 is a PAL Game and is running at full speed @ 50 fps, while f.e. my Xenosaga games are from the states and need to run @ 60 fps to run at full speed, which I only get in the Cinematics and some parts in the game. This is only my look of things, if it's the truth I don't know, but oh well Smile