Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Build help (Not a "will it work" thread)
Hey guys. I'm putting together some parts to upgrade/rebuild my computer. I'll mainly be playing emulators with it, not much of a PC gamer.

This is the computer I'm using right now.

http://static.compusa.com/pdf/HP_dx2200_...asheet.pdf

I've added a PNY 8500 GT and two Kingston 1GB sticks to this.

In other words:

Micro-ATX case
Intel Pentium 4 631 @ 3.2 ghz
Some proprietary Micro-ATX mobo that doesn't support DDR3
250w PSU
PNY 8500GT
2x1GB Kingston ram

And here are the wish lists I put together.

rebuild:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Public...r=12194247
upgrade:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Public...r=14737852

Any of you smart fellas want to give these lists a look? I'm not too knowledgeable with overclocking, but if anybody is, please do pass on some suggestions. If you think I should downgrade a part and just overclock it to save some money, go for it.

And while I'll mostly be playing PCSX2 with it, I will be playing Dolphin with it as well, so please, not too much PCSX2 bias, okay?

Sponsored links

(10-23-2010, 02:39 AM)Aerosol Wrote: Hey guys. I'm putting together some parts to upgrade/rebuild my computer. I'll mainly be playing emulators with it, not much of a PC gamer.

This is the computer I'm using right now.

http://static.compusa.com/pdf/HP_dx2200_...asheet.pdf

I've added a PNY 8500 GT and two Kingston 1GB sticks to this.

In other words:

Micro-ATX case
Intel Pentium 4 631 @ 3.2 ghz
Some proprietary Micro-ATX mobo that doesn't support DDR3
250w PSU
PNY 8500GT
2x1GB Kingston ram

And here are the wish lists I put together.

rebuild:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Public...r=12194247
upgrade:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Public...r=14737852

Any of you smart fellas want to give these lists a look? I'm not too knowledgeable with overclocking, but if anybody is, please do pass on some suggestions. If you think I should downgrade a part and just overclock it to save some money, go for it.

And while I'll mostly be playing PCSX2 with it, I will be playing Dolphin with it as well, so please, not too much PCSX2 bias, okay?

Give me a few minutes and I will make a better rebuild list.
[Image: 1454055.png]
^
^
^
it's a bit difficult to determined if this rig can up re-build...
*that graphics card can be re-buildable because it has PCI-E slot.
*if that motherboard is a LGA 775 socket....yes you can upgrade it to C2D like E6xxx,E7xxxx,E8xxx models....but you cannot change it to AMD processors
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM
Thanks. I actually just noticed that the cooler I picked has gone out of stock. Bummer.

@tallbender:

I know. That's why I made two seperate lists. The upgrade list is based on an intel cpu. I'm not too fond of intels though...I grew up with AMD processors so I'm kinda hooked on them, haha.

As for the graphics card, I'm not really too keen on keeping it around. For the upgrade, I'm keeping it around because upgrading the CPU will give me a bigger performance boost than upgrading the graphics card would. You could look at it this way: The rebuild is what I would do if I had the money to buy everything at once, and the upgrade is what I would probably end up doing because I'm not patient enough to wait until I have that kind of money. Gotta pay them bills, right?
$3 off with promo code EMCZYZX59, ends 10/25

That's monday. I'm not gonna buy a computer by monday! Or is it only the promo code that is valid till then?

Either way, that's a gorgeous computer you've put together. What website is that?
Newegg.
Promocode is only 3 bucks.
Combo's suck this week so I will make a new one then.
There will be new promo codes/combo's next week.
I'd put in a 6850 but they have no combo's yet.
You see this when you select print cart while in your shopping cart.
(10-23-2010, 02:39 AM)Aerosol Wrote: And while I'll mostly be playing PCSX2 with it, I will be playing Dolphin with it as well, so please, not too much PCSX2 bias, okay?

Actually, both PCSX2 and Dolphin seem to like the same hardware (Intel). At your budget, though, AMD offers better all around performance for the money. Tongue2

I'd trust the Antec Earthwatts EA-380D more than the Xclio 500W, but I don't think it'll be enough for the HD 4870. Too bad you missed the deal on the Antec Neo Eco 620C ($50 after instant coupon). It's a good power supply - basically a rebadged Seasonic S12II 620W. The CoolerMaster Silent Pro M600 is $70, has pretty decent reviews and is modular to boot.

The CPU, I'd drop down to a Phenom II X2 555 BE ($89). It's also Black Edition with unlocked multipliers like the Phenom II X2 so it's almost the same except it ships with the multiplier set one notch lower. The Phenom II X4 940 BE OEM ($96) is also another promising candidate. Also, do you really need a sound card?

@ChronicNL
That build's missing a Windows 7 Home Premium license which is another $100. It seems he really only has $500 for the system itself.
(10-23-2010, 03:11 AM)ChronicNL Wrote: I'd put in a 6850 but they have no combo's yet.

Seriously, what's with AMD's new naming. You would assume the HD 6850 is better than the HD 5850. Instead, it's actually set to replace the HD 5830. Grr...
(10-23-2010, 03:17 AM)ilovejedd Wrote:
(10-23-2010, 02:39 AM)Aerosol Wrote: And while I'll mostly be playing PCSX2 with it, I will be playing Dolphin with it as well, so please, not too much PCSX2 bias, okay?

Actually, both PCSX2 and Dolphin seem to like the same hardware (Intel). At your budget, though, AMD offers better all around performance for the money. Tongue2

I'd trust the Antec Earthwatts EA-380D more than the Xclio 500W, but I don't think it'll be enough for the HD 4870. Too bad you missed the deal on the Antec Neo Eco 620C ($50 after instant coupon). It's a good power supply - basically a rebadged Seasonic S12II 620W. The CoolerMaster Silent Pro M600 is $70, has pretty decent reviews and is modular to boot.

The CPU, I'd drop down to a Phenom II X2 555 BE ($89). It's also Black Edition with unlocked multipliers like the Phenom II X2 so it's almost the same except it ships with the multiplier set one notch lower. The Phenom II X4 940 BE OEM ($96) is also another promising candidate. Also, do you really need a sound card?

@ChronicNL
That build's missing a Windows 7 Home Premium license which is another $100. It seems he really only has $500 for the system itself.
(10-23-2010, 03:11 AM)ChronicNL Wrote: I'd put in a 6850 but they have no combo's yet.

Seriously, what's with AMD's new naming. You would assume the HD 6850 is better than the HD 5850. Instead, it's actually set to replace the HD 5830. Grr...

A 6850 is cheaper and better in most cases than a GTX 460.
I have utterly lost patience with ATI/AMD now after the Mobility 4550 card in my laptop has become the 4th ATI card I've had to last less than a year.
Specs in Profile