Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Crashing
Recently, my PC has been randomly crashing, usually while I'm playing WoW. Sometimes, the screen will just shut off and I'll have to reboot. Other times, I will start seeing artifacts on the screen and it will just freeze. Sometimes, I will just see a bunch of weird static and I'll have to reboot. The problems only seem to have started after I swapped out an old hard drive for a new 2TB drive. Could it be that my power supply can't handle it? Or is my graphics card messed up?

I thought that something might be overheating, so I took the side off of the case, and I try to put a big fan beside it (it's extremely hot in my apartment).

I'm running windows 7 64 bit, Nvidia 7 series graphics card. I don't remember the wattage of my PSU, but it's an Antec and it's fairly new (1 year). Nothing super expensive, but it was mid range I believe.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored links

What CPU do you have? Nvidia 7 series is a fairly old graphics card, so the artifact problem could be your graphics card.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0GHz
GPU: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
RAM: 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 400MHz
I would monitor your CPU temperature just to be sure, GPU too. Try using GPU-Z to monitor GPU temps and CoreTemp to monitor CPU temps. If it is overheating, you will get reboots and random frozen up screens. However, if it is not a heat problem, then it will most likely have something to do with a dying PSU. Though just to make sure you're not getting BSODs (which is usually caused by faulty RAMs or unstable overclocked CPU, sometimes driver issues) turn off Automatic Reboot in Control Panel> System> Advanced > Startup and Recovery> Untick Automatic Restart
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
Since you mentioned change in the HD you should verify the Windows System Log for error messages. Mainly if the mobo's chipset is nforce. It can be really the HD the faulty, the chipset or more probably a mix of both. The symptoms can be even hard crash, not seldom with BSOD, memory dump and forced restart.

Nforce chipsets are 'in'famous for that kind of issue that has been plaguing them for generations. The only cure I found once I had that issue (coincidentally the last upgrade) was changing the mobo itself.

PS: If you are unaware how to access the system log the steps are:

Windows Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

Look for Critical and Errors - since you'll find many informative only entries you can filter them in the right window (filter current log). Even in case of restart the entries will be there.
Imagination is where we are truly real