Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Games :p
[u]Hi There ! [/u]
As Usual , I Post My Questions In The Off topic as i'm sure that i'll find good minds that understand and answer me Smile
my question is Blink : what's the difficulties that make converting console games directly into PC games so hard ? i just don't get it ! if it is so difficult then how can sega , nintendo and ubisoft can do this ? there are advanced coders ? so what ? Glare

Sponsored links

Nintendo, Ubisoft & Sega have game source code, they can translate the source code and then recompile the program into PC-compatible format.

Try to do it yourself with reverse engineering, you'll see it's hard, and moreover, fully illegal.
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
Well, first you would need to convert the code of the game so that it would correspond with PC hardware. Then, you would need to implement some sort of Direct3D or OpenGL. Then, you would need to convert the code to use GPU 3D acceleration. Then, repeat for sound. Then, there's the whole OS compatibility. The list just goes on and on. Normally, companies don't port games to the PC unless they are certain that their profit would be greater than their cost. Most of the time, they port the popular games like Need for Speed, Devil May Cry and Resident Evil, because they know that someone will buy those.

Even if the game was successfully ported to PC, there are still many issues. Resident Evil 4, the graphics was horrid and sometimes you even get messed up looking texts. Lost Planet had major performance issues even now. So yeah, it all comes down to time and money. More time and more money will result in a better PC port. Less time and less money will result in a poor quality port.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It' thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
Luckily there is the all mighty pcsx2 to help us play all those nice PS2 games ^^
[Image: fs.png]
Q9550 @ 3,33GHz Ninja
HD 3850
Ports from current gen consoles have been drastically better in quality. I'm guessing that's because the newer consoles behave much more like computers than their ancestors did.
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Correct. The latest generation of consoles in particular all include "light weight" operating system kernels, which are basically operating systems with drivers and DLLs hard-coded for slightly better performance. But most of the APIs are similar or the same, so porting is typically very easy.

... at least if you're not concerned about performance.

What's interesting is that unoptimized game code will typically run much better on your PC than on a PS3 or XBOX360. This is because PCs are built with general-ability in mind. They run "everything" pretty good, but lack specialized greatness. PS3 and XBOX360 require much more "clever" coding skill in order to take advantage of their parallel processing units -- the PS3 even more-so than the XBOX360. So typically a dev cycle is like this:

* Write usable/maintainable code; get everything debugged -- this codebase works well for PCs.
* Optimize for XBOX360 (involves some platform specific opts and some asm code)
* Optimize for PS3 (involves more platform specific opts and more asm code)

So the PC version just ends up being the first incarnation of the source; the most generic rendition.

Depending on the game, steps 2 and 3 might not be needed at all, since a lot of current-day games actually run fine on a PS3 with minimal use of the 6 SPE co-processors available to programmers (one is reserved by the kernel). Also, libraries provided by the consoles allow you to do various "common" tasks in parallel form already: Texture swizzling, decompression algos, texture&lighting, etc.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
whoah ! seems pretty interesting , Air !
PS : are you a computer engineer ? you know a lot of stuff about coding and hardware Tongue2
I'm just a hobbyist who works too hard and expects too much from myself (and possibly everyone else too).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
I've been toying with the idea of getting into coding as a hobby. Should I start with one of the "easier" languages like Java or jump right into reading up on and learning C/C++?
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
C++ isn't any harder to learn than java... If you wanted to start with an easy language, try something like Pearl or Python.

Also, it's much easier to learn programming in a structured environment like a classroom. It's possible to learn coding in your free time, just know it's going to take a lot of time and dedication because, as the name implies, it's like learning a foreign language. Worse, it's like learning a foreign language that can only be used to communicate exclusively with mentally handicapped chimpanzees.
[Image: 2748844.png]