PCSX seems to have deleted a save
Hello, first time poster here.

I've had.a nasty surprise today. I was going back and forth two games, DQ8 and Digital Devil Saga, using the same memory card to save both games. Everything was working fine, I play a game for a couple hours, save and quit, then play the other game during the next play session, till I saved and quit, then go back to the first game when I went back to play again, etc…

Then something most displeasing happened. After my last DQ8 play session, I saved and quit, as usual, and when I went back and booted Digital Devil Saga and got, well, THIS:

[Image: Screenshot-2023-12-18-at-14-00-54.png]

Apparently, my DDS save got deleted (my DQ8 save still exists) for no reason. I did not touch the memory card settings, and the whole thing had been working fine till now.

Sponsored links

if you look through bios, is you save still there ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Okay, It seems I got part of an answer: the memory card got a file called "corrupted data", so I suppose my save file got corrupted somehow.

Does this happen often? Because I'm going to worry a lot if every time I quit the app there's a non negligible risk my save will be wasted when I come back

(12-18-2023, 05:38 PM)Nixou Wrote: Okay, It seems I got part of an answer: the memory card got a file called "corrupted data", so I suppose my save file got corrupted somehow.

Does this happen often? Because I'm going to worry a lot if every time I quit the app there's a non negligible risk my save will be wasted when I come back

often->yes and no. some games are notorious for this. If it never happens on your real PS2, then you're lucky

I suggest you actually transfer your healthy saves to a new memcard to avoid a spreading disease
Indeed, never lost a save on my original PS2…

I will transfer the save an use the save state sytem more often from now on
save states can make things worse. be careful
So there's really no warkaround? Because I really don't want to play russian roulette with my saves every time I boot the emulator.
sounds like you toasted your save, common ways of this happening is turning off the emulator before it's finished saving or loading a savestate while it's saving.

Unfortunately there's no fix, the best thing you can do is make a new card and copy off your existing saves for other games that are fine, then dispose of that memcard.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(12-19-2023, 07:28 PM)refraction Wrote: sounds like you toasted your save, common ways of this happening is turning off the emulator before it's finished saving or loading a savestate while it's saving.

Unfortunately there's no fix, the best thing you can do is make a new card and copy off your existing saves for other games that are fine, then dispose of that memcard.

That's pretty much what I did: moved the still usable saves to a new memory card. If I restart playing DDS (from scratch… oh joy) I'll probably keep all my saves in this game on a separate card.