PCSX2 0.9.7.3876, Speed Issue
Let it be noted before anyone says anything to me; I have NO earthly idea about the mechanics of how the emulator operates. I'm clueless about plugins and the like. Please, bear with me.

Now then, I have been trying to play a game (Star Ocean 3, A.K.A. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time). I saw a thread about Star Ocean that was only just now resolved, but after reading through it, I found nothing that was either helpful or that I could understand enough to be helpful.

The problem I have when I attempt to play is that it runs very slowly. The audio is distorted because of how slow it runs, and the video is almost like an old black and white movie (that is to say, you can see the film jumping up and down as it's being fed through the projector, but the picture itself is fine). The FPS seems to be set around 20-30, sometimes dropping even below that. There is also a percentage next to it which ranges from 30%-40%.

Ah, these are the plugins I have (listed alphabetically, from the PlugIns folder):
cdvdGigaherz
cdvdiso-r3878
CDVDnull
DEV9null
FWnull
GSdx
gsdx-sse2-r3878
gsdx-sse4-r3878
GSdx-ssse3
gsdx-ssse3-r3878
GSnull
lilypad-r3878
PadSSSPSX
spu2-x-r3878
USBnull
zerogs-r3878
zerospu2-r3878

And the version is 0.9.7.3876, the beta.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored links

More meaningful would be telling which plugins you are actually using instead the list of them.

Have you configured the emulator at all?

Without knowing your machine and OS is hard to suggest what to use.

Supposing it's Windows 7, you should have already selected the defaults: GSDX (SSE2 for AMD or above for Intel), Lilypad and spu2-x, all the others are relatively irrelevant, even the CDVD case you use the internal reader.

Just be aware if using the internal CDVD reader you MUST tick "Iso" under the CDVD menu and select the image only under "Iso Selector" and from there Browse it.

Case prefer using one the CDVD plugins you MUST select "Plugin" and mount the image in the plugin itself.

Make sure the emulator IS NOT installed under C:\Program Files x(86), if it is already there, uninstall and install again in some user created folder, something like C:\PCSX2 does the trick.

Once all the above is done, if the game is yet slow, you may need to use speedhacks or your machine is not up to the task at all.

The speed of PCSX2 (or lack of it to be more precise) is not dictated by the emulator itself but by the game being run and the machine raw power.
Imagination is where we are truly real
In that case.

Plugins being used are:
Video - GSdx (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.7
Audio - SPU2-X r3702m 1.4.0
Controllers - LilyPad svn (r3878) 0.10.0
Dev9 - DEV9null Driver 0.5.0
USB - USBnull Driver 0.7.0
Firewire - FWnull Driver 0.6.0
(The Video plugin was originally different from the one being used)

Define configured. I did little as far as configuring goes. There were a lot of options which I was unsure about. That is to say, I was worried I'd f*** it all up.

I'm using a Dell Studio 1535 laptop, running Windows Vista Home Premium.

And I'm using an .ISO mounting software program to play SO3.
ur computer specs?
(03-18-2011, 11:15 AM)hallmark Wrote: ur computer specs?

I'm sorry, but unless you can be more specific as far as "specs" go, I won't be able to give you an answer.
your processor, RAM & graphics card
(03-18-2011, 11:19 AM)hallmark Wrote: your processor, RAM & graphics card

Ah, alright. Thank you.

The info for the processor is the only one which I was able to find easily. The rest I'm not as sure of.

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 2.00GHz
Graphics: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family(?)
RAM: 3062MB RAM (I hope that was what you wanted)
Oh ..... man! I am sorry to say it... but your computer specs are insufficient to let you play the game properly Sad
(03-18-2011, 11:39 AM)hallmark Wrote: Oh ..... man! I am sorry to say it... but your computer specs are insufficient to let you play the game properly Sad

I see. Well, thank you for trying to help. I very much appreciate it.
star ocean 3 is quite demanding and you lack a decent graphic card.
you Processor is quite weak too.

in short : playing this game @ good speeds on this laptop will be near impossible
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go