PCSX2 1.2 affected by WiFi?
Hi guys.

I was running 1.1 when I played through God of War 1 and found some settings that achieved 60 fps throughout the whole game. Then I tried to play God of War 2 with the same setting and averaged 25-35 fps with occasional spikes into the 40's and some drops into the teens. I played around with the settings, speedhacks, etc and could not get above the average.

Then I came and downloaded 1.2 and tested GoW2 while at the wifi hotspot and without doing anything to the default settings it was immediately showing 55-60 fps in the title screen and opening cut-scene. I knew that did not guarantee a smooth run all the way through, but I thought it was a great start and showed that the update fixed some speed problems and that surely if it was starting out so well I could toggle some settings if I got any slowdown later on.

I went home where I have no wifi and BAM...back to the 25-35 fps average. I played around with every setting and couldn't get any more speed out of it.

I am at my hotspot again and decided to check and see and sure enough...60 fps for the opening cut-scene and first playable area (have not gone further as I left my controller at home as I was not planning on doing any gaming here, just came to finalize some pre-employment paperwork)

I am NOT computer savvy but I don't understand why being on wifi would affect the performance of my laptop in regards to PCSX2.

Anyone have any ides/explainations? Also if anyone has any recommendations as to some good settings for my comp to run GoW2 at least in the 50fps (the slight slow down is bearable and actually helps me get more blocks in) I would be most grateful!

I am running on a laptop that's not too powerful, but it handles GoW1...I can't imagine GoW2 being THAT much more of a strain...

Operating System = Microsoft (build 9200), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 8075 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 01)
CPU speed = 2.392 ghz (4 logical threads)

Sponsored links

(02-13-2014, 08:55 PM)BenignEgoist Wrote: Hi guys.

I was running 1.1 when I played through God of War 1 and found some settings that achieved 60 fps throughout the whole game. Then I tried to play God of War 2 with the same setting and averaged 25-35 fps with occasional spikes into the 40's and some drops into the teens. I played around with the settings, speedhacks, etc and could not get above the average.

Then I came and downloaded 1.2 and tested GoW2 while at the wifi hotspot and without doing anything to the default settings it was immediately showing 55-60 fps in the title screen and opening cut-scene. I knew that did not guarantee a smooth run all the way through, but I thought it was a great start and showed that the update fixed some speed problems and that surely if it was starting out so well I could toggle some settings if I got any slowdown later on.

I went home where I have no wifi and BAM...back to the 25-35 fps average. I played around with every setting and couldn't get any more speed out of it.

I am at my hotspot again and decided to check and see and sure enough...60 fps for the opening cut-scene and first playable area (have not gone further as I left my controller at home as I was not planning on doing any gaming here, just came to finalize some pre-employment paperwork)

I am NOT computer savvy but I don't understand why being on wifi would affect the performance of my laptop in regards to PCSX2.

Anyone have any ides/explainations? Also if anyone has any recommendations as to some good settings for my comp to run GoW2 at least in the 50fps (the slight slow down is bearable and actually helps me get more blocks in) I would be most grateful!

I am running on a laptop that's not too powerful, but it handles GoW1...I can't imagine GoW2 being THAT much more of a strain...

Operating System = Microsoft (build 9200), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 8075 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 01)
CPU speed = 2.392 ghz (4 logical threads)

1: Are you sure your laptop always was on the same power plan?
2: Are you sure the difference is not when plugged in the mains / unplugged (running from battery)
3: Turn WiFi OFF, put your laptop in high performance mode and plug it into the mains, then try the game again.

If turning on the WiFi on Performance mode while plugged in DOES still increase your FPS something fishy is going on. Every laptop and OS is different BUT I'm going to hazard a guess assuming you really have not changed any computer settings (the guess could be wrong BTW):
When you turn WiFi on more power from the battery gets to the CPU because the BIOS or circuitry used is awesome </s>

Try the first 3 things before thinking about my weird conclusion Smile
You know.....it totally could have been a battery thing. Will test. I feel silly for not having considered that...I know correlation does not = causation but the only thing I could immediately think of that was different tween the two performances was wifi.

I follow directions well so the fact that I even emulate impresses people but I'm like guys...you don't understand...I follow guides well...no critical thinking abilities in regard to comps on my end, I just follow directions! Could not tell you why something works the way it does.
Your wifi will not affect pcsx2 performance. How long were you playing each time? Perhaps your laptop is warming up and throttling the cpu.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
Yup. It was the power. Just disconnected from my hotspot and kept my comp plugged in. Steady 58-60 FPS.

Power supply/battery affecting the processing power makes soooo much more sense than wifi connection....

Im going to go home and hide my blushing face from the world for a sec while I try and slaughter some olympians.

Thank you!

(02-13-2014, 09:26 PM)Donovan24 Wrote: Your wifi will not affect pcsx2 performance. How long were you playing each time? Perhaps your laptop is warming up and throttling the cpu.

Yeah I didn't think it would, but it was the only difference between both attempts that was obvious to me.

Pablocrossa's comment reminded me though, that I was plugged into a power source when I was at the hotspot while I had just pulled my comp out of its case and fired it up on battery when I tried at home.

That was so much more obvious as I do have powersave settings in place for battery.

My n00bery is showing.