PCSX2-CE for Mac (Wineskin) Oct 2015 Guide
**August 2020 Update**

A 64-bit native build is in testing here https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Native-M...ting-Build

**Updated October 2019**

Well, it was fun while it lasted. With the release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, 32bit apps will no longer run. Wineskin is 32bit, as is PCSX2, so they don’t work anymore. The guide below will only work for 10.14 Mojave or earlier.

Looking to the future, some parts of PCSX2 are already 64bit, but the recompiler and some plugins still need to be upgraded to 64bit. Also, PCSX2 will need to start on a Vulcan driver. If that happens, it should be possible to compile for macOS using MoltenVK or Gfx-portability. (We can dream about a Metal port, but that is highly unlikely unless a Metal expert joins the development team....)

**Updated 14th October 2017**

***macOS High Sierra has been released, and of course this introduced an issue with Wineskin. Luckily, there is an easy fix. In the Set Screen Options section of Wineskin, in addition to selecting Use Mac Driver, you should also de-select Auto-Detect GPU. PCSX2 will now open and run correctly*** 

****Notice - The DirectX9 renderer for GSDX has ceased development and been removed from future developer builds. As the DX10, DX11 and OGL renderers do not yet work in Wine, the last build that will work is 1.5.0 v.512.*****  

****Notice - The last Wineskin engine to work is WS9Wine 1.9.11*****  

There has been a lot of developments and improvements since ConsoleEmu's first post. The guide in his thread is outdated and just causes confusion for people wanting to get PCSX2 up and running on OS X. 

The purpose of this post is firstly to help get new users started, and then to show how to keep the app updated. PCSX2-CE uses a Wineskin wrapper around the PC version of PCSX2, and both need to be kept updated.  

You will need to download the following:

Wineskin Winery: used to keep the Wineskin wrapper updated. Get it here.

PCSX2: The last build of PCSX2 that works with vcrun2017 is 1.5.0 v512. The last build to work without vcrun2017 is 1.3.1 v1415. If you have issues installing vcrun2015/2017 then try this version.

PCSX2-CE: The wrapper first made by ConsoleEmu. Get v 1.2.1 from his site here.

Wineskin Winery: 

This is the app where you download updates to the wrapper and the engine for Wineskin. Open it up and check for updates. Update to the latest wrapper, and download the WS9Wine 1.9.11 engine. (Newer builds don't work as of this post).

PCSX2: 

Download and decompress. (The folder will have the build number, it's best to keep this as it is for future reference). 

1: Install your BIOS: create a folder inside called "bios" and copy your PS2 BIOS into it. If you don't have your BIOS handy, search this forum or Google it. (Please do not post questions about BIOS here, it's off-topic and answered better elsewhere)

PCSX2-CE:

Download and decompress. You will get a folder containing the app, a winetricks command, and the licensing docs (also a readme, but this post is more relevant). There is also a bios folder that is an alias to the one contained in the wrapper. Ignore this alias, since we are going to delete the folder it points to.

1: Copy the new PCSX2 build to the wrapper: 

Step A: Right-click on the PCSX2-CE app and select "Show Package Contents". Go to drive_c and Program files to see the old PCSX2 folder. 

Step B: Copy the new PCSX2 folder into Program Files (delete the old one while you are at it) 

2: Update the wrapper and engine: 

Step A: Open up the Wineskin app contained in the package (you should have seen it earlier when you did 1 above)

Step B: Select Advanced, then Tools. 

Step C: Select Update Wrapper (it will probably quit when it's finished, open again for the next step). 

Step D: Select Change Engine Used, choose WS9Wine1.9.11 and wait for it to finish.

3: Redirect the wrapper to run the new version of PCSX2:

Under the Configuration tab, reassign which .exe file is run by clicking the Browse button at the top. Choose the new PCSX2.exe

4: Install d3dx9_36 and vcrun2017: 

Again open the wineskin app, select Advanced and Tools, then Winetricks. On the bottom left click Update Winetricks. 

Step A: Expand the dlls list and scroll down to d3dx9_36. Select and click Run. Allow the script to compete. (This will take a long time. Wait for it to say it's finished).

Step B: Do the same for msxml3. (This is required before you can install vcrun2017). 

Step C: Do the same for vcrun2017. 

*Note: In order to see what has been successfully installed in the package, click the gear/option button and select "show installed" column.

5: Ensure Mac Driver is selected: 

Again in the Wineskin App, select Set Screen Options. Ensure that Use Mac Driver Instead of X11 is selected. Also ensure that Auto-detect GPU Info is De-selected. 

You are now ready to run the PCSX2-CE app. 

First time run:

When you run it for the first time, a setup wizard will run. You need to choose your language, bios, and plugin settings. 

- Configure the SPU2-X plugin. You need to change XAudio2 to Portaudio. (Wine will support XAudio in the future, but as of posting Portaudio is still required).  

- Configure the CDVD, USB, FW and Dev9 plugins all as Null.

Note for updating: 

- When you download a new build of PCSX2, don't forget to copy over the bios, inis and memcard folders. (Always press the alt key, since OS X tends to just copy over an alias otherwise).

You should have PCSX2 up and running at this stage. If you have any problems or issues with the above steps, please post here. Also, if it works for you let us know too.

I hope this post helps new users get started, and also how to keep themselves updated.

Sponsored links

I get 'unknown arg vcrun2013' when I try to run the wine tricks command at just the point you instruct to..
(10-20-2015, 05:20 AM)hawkhardcase Wrote: I get 'unknown arg vcrun2013' when I try to run the wine tricks command at just the point you instruct to..

Can anyone else confirm if the command works or fails? Please let me know and state your OS version.

(I can't really test this bit fully because the script already downloaded the files to somewhere on my HD). 

There is another way to try to install vcrun2013, try this and let me know how it goes: 

- Right click and Show Package Contents

- Open Wineskin, select Advanced and then Tools. 

- Run Winetricks  and expand dlls. Vcrun2013 will not be here. 

- Update Winetricks. 

- After updating, vcrun2013 should appear. Install. 

Note that currently for me this method throws an error saying connection to the website failed. That's why I didn't mention it in the guide. I don't know if this is a Wineskin/El Capitan problem or if the website really is down. I've posted in the Wineskin forum asking about this. 

For everyone who tries this, if it works or fails please post and mention your OS X version. 

Thanks.
I've completed the steps above but unfortunately when I attempt to run an ISO (tested on different ISO's) a runtime error occurs and the system crashes. Is there something I am missing or forgetting to update? Error appears as: Opening USB
Opening FW
Opening DEV9
Failed to GetNetAdapter()
:68:14: error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER

Running Macbook Pro mid 2014 - Yosemite.
Do you use the dev9null plugin?
(10-20-2015, 05:12 PM)MacUser Wrote: Can anyone else confirm if the command works or fails? Please let me know and state your OS version.

(I can't really test this bit fully because the script already downloaded the files to somewhere on my HD). 

There is another way to try to install vcrun2013, try this and let me know how it goes: 

- Right click and Show Package Contents

- Open Wineskin, select Advanced and then Tools. 

- Run Winetricks  and expand dlls. Vcrun2013 will not be here. 

- Update Winetricks. 

- After updating, vcrun2013 should appear. Install. 

Note that currently for me this method throws an error saying connection to the website failed. That's why I didn't mention it in the guide. I don't know if this is a Wineskin/El Capitan problem or if the website really is down. I've posted in the Wineskin forum asking about this. 

For everyone who tries this, if it works or fails please post and mention your OS X version. 

Thanks.

I'm running OS X 10.11, El Capitan, the public version, no beta.  Trying to run it on a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch and an Early 2008 Mac Pro, both have 8 GB RAM, same OS.

After some diddling and making sure Wineskin was set, I managed to install vcrun2013 and d3d9x_36.

PCSX launches, I see the name and its submenus, then it noiselessly quits.
Photo 
So here's the error I'm getting when I try to run the games. Tried changing bios and launching other games.

[img][Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-10-22%20at%2011.44.34%20AM.png][/img]

Here's log from Wine debugger:
Quote:fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:systemWackoetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:dwmapiLaughwmEnableMMCSS (1) stub
fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 9c040 (device=9 access=3 func=10 method=0)
fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage ECO_NOHIDESEL not implemented yet!
fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 9c040 (device=9 access=3 func=10 method=0)
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from apartment threaded to multi-threaded
fixme:msvcp:_Mtx_init unknown flags ignorred: 2
fixme:shellWackoHAutoComplete stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xbab401c) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xbab4054) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xbb686ac) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xbb676ac) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xbb686ac) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xbab7054) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xbab7244) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xbab5024) stub
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from apartment threaded to multi-threaded
fixme:xinput:XInputEnable (1) Stub!
fixme:xinput:XInputEnable (0) Stub!
fixme:dinput:IDirectInputDevice2WImpl_EnumEffects (this=0x9c36a9c,0x3ccbe0,0x947da80,0x00000000): stub!
fixme:dinput:IDirectInputDevice2WImpl_EnumEffects (this=0x9c36c3c,0x3ccbe0,0x9478ff8,0x00000000): stub!
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread Cannot get kerneltime or usertime of other threads
fixme:msvcp:_Mtx_init unknown flags ignorred: 102
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Audio",0xdb9f618): stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xc6de63c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xc6de5cc,0x00000000), stub!
err:d3dcompiler:compile_shader HLSL shader parsing failed.
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code 80000003 flags 0 addr 0x7bc70aa0

Running on OS X 10.11, El Capitan, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2012, 8 GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 M
(10-22-2015, 09:18 AM)KayRyou Wrote: So here's the error I'm getting when I try to run the games. Tried changing bios and launching other games.

Here's log from Wine debugger:

Running on OS X 10.11, El Capitan, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2012, 8 GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 M

Hmm, this could be a language issue. Could you try changing the language to English on the first run setup? 

Also, can you tell me what plugins are selected? As Willkuer mentioned, the Dev9 plugin causes a crash. I have the CDVD, USB, FW and Dev9 plugins all as Null.
(10-18-2015, 07:28 AM)MacUser Wrote: There has been a lot of developments and improvements since ConsoleEmu's first post. The guide in his thread is outdated and just causes confusion for people wanting to get PCSX2 up and running on OS X. 

The purpose of this post is firstly to help get new users started, and then to show how to keep the app updated. PCSX2-CE uses a Wineskin wrapper around the PC version of PCSX2, and both need to be kept updated.  

You will need to download the following:

Wineskin Winery: used to keep the Wineskin wrapper updated. Get it here.

PCSX2: The latest builds from the PCSX2 team, hosted by Orphis. You can get the latest builds here.

PCSC2-CE: The wrapper first made by ConsoleEmu. Get v 1.2.1 from his site here.

Wineskin Winery: 

This is the app where you download updates to the wrapper and the engine for Wineskin. (Open it up and check for updates once every month or two. If you notice any regressions, you can always download an older engine). 

Just open the Wineskin Winery app and check for updates. You should download the latest wrapper (2.6.1 as of this post) and also the latest engine (WS9Wine1.7.52 as of this post).

PCSX2: 

Download and decompress. (The folder will have the build number, it's best to keep this as it is for future reference). 

1: Install your BIOS: create a folder inside called "bios" and copy your PS2 BIOS into it. If you don't have your BIOS handy, search this forum or Google it. (Please do not post questions about BIOS here, it's off-topic and answered better elsewhere)

PCSX2-CE:

Download and decompress. You will get a folder containing the app, a winetricks command, and the licensing docs (also a readme, but this post is more relevant). There is also a bios folder that is an alias to the one contained in the wrapper. Ignore this alias, since we are going to delete the folder it points to.

1: Run the Winetricks command: This is a script that will open Terminal and download required dependencies into the wrapper. These are vcrun2013 and d3dx9_36. They were not included in the download for size and copyright reasons.  This may take some time depending on your internet speed. Be patient and let the script finish. 

2: Copy the new PCSX2 build to the wrapper: 

Step A: Right-click on the PCSX2-CE app and select "Show Package Contents". Go to drive_c and Program files to see the old PCSX2 folder. 

Step B: Copy the new PCSX2 folder into Program Files (delete the old one while you are at it) 

3: Update the wrapper and engine: 

Step A: Open up the Wineskin app contained in the package (you should have seen it earlier when you did 2 above)

Step B: Select Advanced, then Tools. 

Step C: Select Update Wrapper (it will probably quit when it's finished, open again for the next step). 

Step D: Select Change Engine Used and wait for it to finish.

4: Redirect the wrapper to run the new version of PCSX2:

Under the Configuration tab, reassign which .exe file is run by clicking the Browse button at the top. Choose the new PCSX2.exe

You are now ready to run the PCSX2-CE app. 

First time run:

When you run it for the first time, a setup wizard will run. You need to choose your language, bios, and plugin settings. 

- Configure the SPU2-X plugin. You need to change XAudio2 to Portaudio. (Wine will support XAudio in the future, but as of posting Portaudio is still required).  

Note for updating: 

- When you download a new build of PCSX2, don't forget to copy over the bios, inis and memcard folders. (Always press the alt key, since OS X tends to just copy over an alias otherwise).

You should have the latest version of PCSX2 up and running at this stage. If you have any problems or issues with the above steps, please post here.

I hope this post helps new users get started, and also how to keep themselves updated.

Doesn't seem to start - heres my log 

fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:systemWackoetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:dwmapiLaughwmEnableMMCSS (1) stub
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x461f678 0x0): stub
fixme:xinput:XInputEnable (1) Stub!
fixme:xinput:XInputEnable (0) Stub!
fixme:dinput:IDirectInputDevice2WImpl_EnumEffects (this=0xab05a54,0x3ecbe0,0xab07758,0x00000000): stub!
fixme:dinput:IDirectInputDevice2WImpl_EnumEffects (this=0xab07b0c,0x3ecbe0,0xab05a50,0x00000000): stub!
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread Cannot get kerneltime or usertime of other threads
err:winediag:init_driver_info Invalid GPU override 8086:162b specified, ignoring.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xc22e5fc,0x00000000), stub!
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xc22e58c,0x00000000), stub!
set off screen: invalid drawable
X Error of failed request:  0
  Major opcode of failed request:  148 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  26 (X_GLXMakeContextCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  4948
  Current serial number in output stream:  4948
(10-22-2015, 03:53 PM)MacUser Wrote: Hmm, this could be a language issue. Could you try changing the language to English on the first run setup? 

Also, can you tell me what plugins are selected? As Willkuer mentioned, the Dev9 plugin causes a crash. I have the CDVD, USB, FW and Dev9 plugins all as Null.

[img][Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-10-23%20at%201.21.36%20PM.png][/img]

I did as you told. Changing the language to English - did not work.

Then I changed the language and changed the selected plugins to Null - same results.

[img][Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-10-23%20at%2012.59.48%20PM.png][/img]