PCSX2 Crash with specific game.
Hey guys - I've just registered in order to hopefully get some help from you guys! Recently I dug out my old copies of Zone of the Enders 1 and 2 and set up the PCSX2 emulator to run it.

I got through ZOE1 fine, without any glitches, except for a slight FPS drop if I had a Youtube window open in the back ground or something, but other than that it was fine.

Now I've started playing ZOE 2 and several times through the game thus far I've experienced EXTREME FPS drops to as little as 0.5 fps and as this drop happens, the whole emulator slows my computer down to a halt until such times as it rights itself, this can take up to 20 minutes and more...

This is where my problem lies, I should be able to play this game smoothly but I can't and I don't know what's causing this bottle neck. I'll list my specs and my configurations and hopefully you guys will know what's wrong.
  • Pentium i7 1155 3.4ghz Sandybridge
  • 2x Ati Radeon 6850 1GB DDR5 (CrossFireX)
  • 3GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1.5 TB HDD Space (1x 1TB, 1x 0.5TB)
  • 1000W Corsair PSU
  • Windows 7 Professional Edition x32 (Aero Mode off)

[If there are any more specs you need to know, just say.]

Here are my settings, if there are any other relevant types which you wish to see, then let me know. Btw, I don't have any speedhacks on.

Any and all help is appreciated, and I'll give all the stuff mentioned a go. It's a really annoying problem because I have to force a restart of my computer, which I don't really want to do, plus I want to play this game Tongue .

Thanks!

Sponsored links

This game has troubles every here and there (in my experience). Even with a hefty OC and trying out some different settings, I simply could not avoid the lag every now and again.

Judging by the way that there are large portions of gameplay that could run clean (at excessive FPS), yet still had serious trouble in some moments, I would figure this game just has some compatibility issues at this time.

Anyways, I recommend you consider overclocking in addition to some Speedhacks. Don't expect the game to never have lag or parts where things will slow down. Good luck to you! Smile
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it. I'd just like it so it doesn't slow my computer to a halt xD .
don't disable aero.
What makes you say that? I usually have Aero on, but I thought the graphical intensity of that type of standard display could effect the overall performance of the emulator, I've got the FPS up a bit but I'm not sure if this was beneficial so it'd be interesting to hear your reasoning ^^ .
reduces performance of the gui
disables vsync
and just delays the app startup somewhat.
Ok, I have turned Aero back on.

But my biggest concern is not the FPS drop, it's the lagging of my whole machine with the emulator, it's the only time I've ever experienced it with a program, have you ever heard of that occurring before?
yes, but only when i go nuts with the internal scaler causing pcsx2 to swap video data into the system apperture/pci-e shared space.