PCSX2 Crashes under Ubuntu 8.10
Apparently with DQ8 I seem to fall through the sky, but I think that's the fault of the graphics plugin, since I remember something like that being reported before.

With MGTS enabled I can get much further in games.

What's the chance of the Video plugin being updated in Linux any time soon?

Sponsored links

Well, only person than fixed it now it's me. And I am lamer in OpenGL. ZeroFrog working on Dolphin now :-(.
I am another Ubuntu/PCSX2 user.
I had the same problem as you (graphics pluging didn't showing up) but I solved it by downloading the plugin from here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2375.html

I am trying to run Final Fantasy XII (original DVD) but it crashes at startup:
Code:
/home/gioby/Local_Repository/Emulatori/Pcsx2/plugins/libZeroGSoglr.so.0.96.2.tar.gz: invalid ELF header
/home/gioby/Local_Repository/Emulatori/Pcsx2/plugins/libZeroGSoglr.so.0.96.2.tar.gz: invalid ELF header
ZeroGS: creating
ZeroGS: Got Doublebuffered Visual!
ZeroGS: glX-Version 1.3
ZeroGS: Depth 24
ZeroGS: you have Direct Rendering!
ZeroGS: Disabling MRT depth writing
ZeroGS: Creating effects
ZeroGS: Creating extra effects
ZeroGS: using accurate shaders
ZeroGS: initialization successful
Segmentation fault
and playground revision was?
You can use WINE for that (dont use virtualization). I've tried PCSX 0.94 on my linux box with wine on ubuntu 8.04 and it works! (used zerogs opengl for the video)

(12-13-2008, 09:06 AM)arcum42 Wrote: All right.

One thing to keep in mind is that, while I'm working on improving it, the Linux code is not as stable as the Windows code[1]. And, of course, when I'm testing pcsx2, I'm usually testing with my bios files already in the folder.

And I just verified that it segfaults if you hit ok without a bios selected. I'll have to put a check in there...

Edit: I'm not sure I'd try using pcsx2 in a virtual machine, anyways. They usually don't emulate a graphics card well enough to work with anything graphics intensive or 3d. I know for a fact that pcsx2 didn't used to work on either VirtualBox or VMWare with XP as the guest os...

[1] The Linux Gui code is in need of a rewrite, actually. It's on my to-do list; it's just a long range goal...
(12-23-2008, 03:45 PM)t.s. Wrote: You can use WINE for that (dont use virtualization). I've tried PCSX 0.94 on my linux box with wine on ubuntu 8.04 and it works! (used zerogs opengl for the video)

It's been a while since I tried Wine on it; it might be worth a try again. Last time I tried it was pre-Wine 1.0 and pre-playground, with GSDx. Got a few minutes into Final Fantasy X-2 before it crashed...
(12-23-2008, 04:06 PM)arcum42 Wrote: It's been a while since I tried Wine on it; it might be worth a try again. Last time I tried it was pre-Wine 1.0 and pre-playground, with GSDx. Got a few minutes into Final Fantasy X-2 before it crashed...

Don't use GSDx cause it uses Directx (and Dx not supported very well on Wine, at last when I tried it, version 0.9xx).
You can get almost 100% speed when u use video plugin that used openGL.

Ps: If only somebody want to polish openGL plugin for PCSX windows version, I think linuxer can use it too, with Wine.

Edit: OK, I've tried again PCSX2 win version on ubuntu 8.04 with zerogs openGL. It run smoothly (back then, I can run FF10 for about 45 minutes). Use iso instead run directly from DVD-ROM (on DVD-R it won't run).
And what's good with Wine + pcsx2 + ZeroGS OGL vs pcsx2 + ZeroGS OGL? Better solution is to fix OGL plugin as multi-os library. DX9 could be use on VmWare machine or WineX, but such solutions tends to add bugs.
(12-25-2008, 04:53 PM)Zeydlitz Wrote: And what's good with Wine + pcsx2 + ZeroGS OGL vs pcsx2 + ZeroGS OGL? Better solution is to fix OGL plugin as multi-os library. DX9 could be use on VmWare machine or WineX, but such solutions tends to add bugs.

Yes, you're right. It's the best solution. When there's OGL plugin for linux that can used on PCSX that play equally against latest GSDX, then I'll very..very..very..very..happpyyyyy...
Well, it's could be not so hard, really. OGL pluggin has almost all functionality, and it's logic seems to be more perfect that Gabest's. But it have some weird issues, that I could not yet understand.