PCSX2 GSdx 890 SSE4.1
Hello,

first of all I would like to note out that I'm a huge fan of MGS series, but I only had the opportunity to play the MGS4. I have heard that the MGS3: Subsistence was the best part in the series.
I have a laptop (it's specs):
Acer Aspire 3820
CPU: Intel Core i3 M350 2,27GHz (2 cores) PCSX 2 detects 8 cores / 4 logical
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1024MB memory
RAM: 4GB
System: Windows 7 64-bit
DirectX: 9 and 11 latest updates

I have managed to plug in the PS3 standard pad via USB. Unfortunately despite the rather powerful laptop (Starcraft 2:Wings of Liberty works perfect in HD resolution) when I start the game it has a fps ~10 tops, and the graphics look terrible:
[Image: pcsx2error.jpg]
I understand the fact that the PCSX2 uses mainly the CPU power to render the graphics. I have also a PC with a over clocked Intel Core 2 Duo from 2,6 GHz to 3,2 GHz and a GeForce 6600 GT 128MB. The game works fine on the PC in 1024x768 resolution, but the cut scenes tend to lag fps drops to 10-15.

Here are my questions:
1. Would game work in HD resolutions on the PC if I changed the CPU to a 4-core 4GHz something monster?
2. Is there anything I can do to improve the graphics on the laptop or is it just a lost battle?
3. Does the PS2 slim generate MGS3: Subsistence graphics in a high fps 50, 1280x720 resolution, cause if it does buying a new PS2 slim + the game would be cheaper then tuning the PC.

Sponsored links

Use PCSX 0.9.7 beta and August 2010 plugin pack to get better results, trying turning on speedhacks (includes cycle-stealing). MGS3 is one of the really demanding games and getting 60FPS can be quiet hard.

1. You'll be able to play at whatever FPS you can play at right now w/ a better GPU. Need to overclock your CPU to get FPS increase unless your GPU is bottlenecking your CPU (which it shouldn't if you're running on native resolution)

2. Define improve. The FPS? Yes, read what I said earlier.
3. No, it renders it at an internal resolution of like 640x480 or something, or even less. The PS2 Slim has the exact same specs as the original PS2. It still outputs in Analog and no where near HD. Even if it does upscale MGS3, it'll still look better on the PC if you ran the game at 1920x1080 internal resolution (or whatever your monitor supports).
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
2. I mean getting rid of those blue lines and other nasty bits that shouldn't be there (look at the screen shot). So as u say buying a PS2 would be a waste of money. Shame that Sony doesn't add the PS2 emulator or those it? Really it's a good question cause I know that the old PS3 had the software PS2 emulators but since the 2 port USB version they stopped adding that. And now I have some PS2 captions in the Game section on my 80GB PS3. So does any1 know if the one of the PS3 updates added the PS3 emulation option to all PS3.

In my opinion the specs on my laptop are way better then those on my PC, so I don't understand why do I get better results on the PC =/.
Big thanks to you frosty5689 for replying so fast =]
As far as I remember, the inital 40GB models had an physical Emotion Engine inside it. Thus letting it play PS2 games (not emulating), later the 80GB and other fat models uses Software Emulation to emulate PS2 on the PS3. If I remember correctly, the fat PS3s still has that feature, its only the slim models that can't do it. In terms of quality, I don't really know. As for the weird bars/w.e, try latest ATI Catalyst Driver and latest PCSX2
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
Start by trying the latest beta and plugin update:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-off...ta-plugins

If that doesn't do it try with a (Software) renderer in GSdx.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
I installed the latest PCSX2 and there is a big improvement on the laptop in terms of fps during the game but during cut scenes it still tends to drops fps.
[Image: framedrop2.jpg]
Frame drop during a cut scene.
There is still the problem of unwanted crap during game play and cut scenes.
[Image: verygood.jpg]
Unwanted blue crap + vertical lines. Any1 knows how to get rid of it?
Software rendering will work.
Those blue lines are an old GSdx hw problem that is nearly impossible to fix (even for coders).
You were right changing the DirectX10 to software got rid off the blue lines, however the fps dropped from 40 down to 25 =/. I have the EE Cydarate and VU Cyde Stealing both on lvl 3 + INTC Spin Detection enabled.
had the same problem, you could try the latest svn, for my version of the game the hack to avoid those blue stuff has been "activated" in the latest versions and its running fine now. (thanks rama, you're my hero)

or get a different version of mgs3 that already works

btw. you're already using the latest plugins from august, right? not sure if the hack's already been actived in the included version of gsdx

edit: here you'll find a little bit more info regarding the versions that work
http://forums.ngemu.com/pcsx2-forum/1319...-help.html (Post #14)
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps
Cyphox what is that svn that you are talking about, sorry but I'm green with the PCSX2. As far as I understand it enables to run the DirectX Hardware without the blue stuff? Where do I active it? I'm using the latest august updates. I play the MGS3: Subsistence cause of the 3th person perspective.