PCSX2 P4 3.4ghz and C2D E6300
Hi to everyone, sorry my english, im Spanish

I have a Dell Optiplex USFF 745

This machine now have:

Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz
2GB Ram DDR2
GMA3000 (is a little tweaked GMA950)

I bought this PC when my old Optiplex GX620 died (P4 3.4ghz, GMA950)

I get very low FPS on all games i tried. Specially the ones i was already playing in the GX620 when died, and the fps was ok in the old machine

The C2D E6300 is faster than the P4, i can see in emulators like SSF (Saturn), that works like a charm in the C2D, but very just on the line on the P4 Smile
Or very complex scaling effects on SNES emulator, that in the P4 was slow like hell, in the C2D are amazing fast

But in PCSX2 is opposite, for example KUON PAL

FPS in game in P4 Dell GX620 = 42-44
FPS in game in C2D Dell745= 32-38

I think maybe was a problem with the GPU, or whatever, then i exchange CPU, i put the P4 3.4ghz in the Dell745....and......

FPS in game in P4 3.4ghz Dell745= 42-48 !!!!!

I get little more FPS!!!

Then is the CPU!!!

I tried all possible configs, from version 0.9.5 to latest, SSE2 to SSSE3 plugins.... etc

Nothing change, if i use the P4 3.4ghz i get much high FPS than with the C2D...

Any ideas? some help?

I was playing KUON in the GX620, i was in middle of game...jeje, and i dont wanna change CPU just to play this game... and i don't wanna to start again in the real PS2!!

Thanks

Sponsored links

even if it's a dual core, its clockrate is quite low. That's why you get bad Fps.

If you can overclock that dual core, do it.

Quote:and i don't wanna to start again in the real PS2!!
you could use mymc to transfer your pcsx2 savegame to a real memcard, then...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
You need like 4ghz+ on a core 2 duo to run heavy games at decent speeds (4X-60 fps). Some games are ok with 3ghz or less.
your c2d is half the clock speed of the p4, even with the advancements in core technology, that is hell of a gap to bridge. If you overclock your C2D to about 2.8-3Ghz, you will probably overtake the P4 by a reasonable amount.

As for graphics cards, they both suck, so you'd benifit also from a new one of them ;p
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Hi everyone, thanks for the reply.

I understand that 1.8ghz is not so much Smile and no overclock in bios (i try setfsb, clockgen, without luck)

About the intel GMA i really like this cards, they work very well, specially with old games

My big doubt, is why the C2D is faster than the P4 in other CPU-intensive emulators (SSF, Dolphin, bsNES ), but slower in PCSX2

I get a nice speed boost in this emulators, and in games, for example Resident Evil 4, is unplayable in the Pentium 4 in high resolutions, but great in the C2D

Only PCSX2 get slower....

I did a test, i disable one core in bios, then i did some benchmarks, 1 core C2D 1.8 vs 1 core 3.4 P4

SSF = C2D win by little
Dolphin = C2D win by little
Kega fusion with 4x filter = C2D win
Resident Evil 4 1280x720 = C2D win

Even with one core, the C2D is a little more fast than a stock Pentium 4 3.4ghz from what i test....

i really don't understand why then, even using the 2 cores pCSX2 is slower than in the P4

I test a lot of plugins, but i found the GSdx the fastest and better graphics, is Ok? SS2 for P4, SSSE3 for C2D best results

Maybe i have some bad config? someone had a similar C2D to share configs?

Sorry i write a lot...jeje
hem...
Are you just trying to compare different emulators & pc Games ?

That's a complete nonsense.
It's like comparing you bathing trunks with my twin sister Laugh
(12-14-2012, 07:11 PM)jesalvein Wrote: hem...
Are you just trying to compare different emulators & pc Games ?

That's a complete nonsense.
It's like comparing you bathing trunks with my twin sister Laugh

Well, is not a nonsense, I think is a good way to know if a CPU is faster, using same motherboard, GPU, Ram, etc
Emulators and PC games are a completely different beast, comparing the two is like saying

"My car is better than that banana at being a telephone"
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

definitely not.
For instance, many pc games will rely a lot on your GPU's power whereas pcsx2 relies more on your CPU power.
Same about RAM.
Pcsx2 won'ty use a lot of RAM (512Mb->1Gb will be enough) whereas some emus (those written in java, most of the time) will require a lot more.

If you want a good example of a CPU that works quite well with pcsx2, see mine.
I understand what do you say,

My point is

RE4 with Pentium 4 = slow
RE4 with C2D = fast

Only change the CPU, then is impossible the game is using GPU power, ram or whatever, because is same PC, just i change the CPU

If a game work fast, other emulators work fast, gcc compile fast, etc i can only think

"this CPU is faster thn the old one"

Thats why im shocked about PSCX2 working slower

Oh by the way, i found this tread

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-CPU-Bench...-2?page=32

Same CPU, i only need to found this FFX2 game, and test to check

I will do with P4 and C2D... i need to found the game