PCSX2 SDL problem
I'm using SDL 1.3 for graphics as GSdx is interestingly not fast enough for my PC (AMD X4 640 overclocked to 4x3.24 GHz, Radeon HD 2400) - but one game does not work with SDL (PCSX2 quits with an error message): R-Type Final. Is there a way to play R-Type Final with SDL? I installed about 20 games but only R-Type Final does not work...

Sponsored links

as far as I know, you won't get support for any Plugins that aren't standard in the installer Smile If you got problems with a 3rd party plugin, you should mail the creator Smile
SDL is standard. It's included in the standard distribution.
(04-29-2012, 10:03 AM)ClarkKent Wrote: I'm using SDL 1.3 for graphics as GSdx is interestingly not fast enough for my PC (AMD X4 640 overclocked to 4x3.24 GHz, Radeon HD 2400) - ...

I'd venture to guess that your less-substantial GPU is more the problem than GSdx...

Have you tried a GSdx software renderer?
(04-29-2012, 10:57 AM)Rezard Wrote: I'd venture to guess that your less-substantial GPU is more the problem than GSdx...

Have you tried a GSdx software renderer?

If it's the GPU other similar games would also not run well - but they do.

It works with "Direct3D9 (Hardware)" but I would like to play it with SDL. With SDL I get full speed in all games installed on my machine. Direct3D9 stutters sometimes and I do not get full speed.

Can games somehow configured to have separate settings each? As I'm using a frontend for starting PS2 games I can not select the plugins every time manually.

By the way: I'm using my PC in an real arcade cabinet with a 15kHz arcade monitor. Using mostly arcade resolutions for MAME (e.g. 256x240 and so on) but 640x480 for PCSX2. Works great - except R-Type Final with SDL...
I don't know about the SDL problem, but PCSX2 can easily be started for a specific configuration for each game with the --cfgpath switch. This should point to a folder containing a copy of an INI folder from PCSX2 with specific settings for the game.

Here's one of mine:-

Code:
C:\Games\Emulators\PCSX2\pcsx2.exe "C:\Games\Playstation 2\Black\Black.iso" --cfgpath="C:\Games\Emulator Launcher\Configs\PS2\Black" --nogui --fullscreen

The folder "C:\Games\Emulator Launcher\Configs\PS2\Black" contains a set of .ini files that configures Black just the way I like it.

I also use a small Launcher program I got from somewhere that enables me to exit the game and shut down PCSX2 with a simple press of Escape. I have no idea where I found this program, I think someone developed it for use with XBMC. I'll see if I can dig up a link for you.

EDIT: forgot to mention, these are command-line or batch file commands. They work in a desktop shortcut though as well.

Kind regards
Dave
(04-29-2012, 12:37 PM)davew_uk Wrote: I don't know about the SDL problem, but PCSX2 can easily be started for a specific configuration for each game with the --cfgpath switch. This should point to a folder containing a copy of an INI folder from PCSX2 with specific settings for the game.

Here's one of mine:-

Code:
C:\Games\Emulators\PCSX2\pcsx2.exe "C:\Games\Playstation 2\Black\Black.iso" --cfgpath="C:\Games\Emulator Launcher\Configs\PS2\Black" --nogui --fullscreen

The folder "C:\Games\Emulator Launcher\Configs\PS2\Black" contains a set of .ini files that configures Black just the way I like it.

I also use a small Launcher program I got from somewhere that enables me to exit the game and shut down PCSX2 with a simple press of Escape. I have no idea where I found this program, I think someone developed it for use with XBMC. I'll see if I can dig up a link for you.

EDIT: forgot to mention, these are command-line or batch file commands. They work in a desktop shortcut though as well.

Kind regards
Dave

Thanx - this info could help alot! Smile

I wonder if it could be possible to simply specify the ini-folder and PCSX2 loads the config with the same name as the ISO? Otherwise it's a little bit difficult to integrate into my frontend...

By the way: "Direct3D9 (Software)" brings the same results as "SDL". So still no R-Type Final. This game obviously only works with "Direct3D9 (Hardware)" on my system...
Auto-Boot and Pre-Configure Games Seperately

That should explain it all. Smile

I suggest you try not to compare different games too much.
Compatibility and results can vary quite a bit between games (even if they seem similar).

Consider that a Hardware renderer is actually utilizing your GPU for performance,
and a Software renderer does not.
If the game is faster with a Software renderer,
then usually one of two things is the case:
  • Your processor working with your GPU actualy hinders your processor's potential.
  • Or quite simply a compatibility issue between the game and GSdx.
I believe the SDL is a Software type renderer.
That means the game runs faster without the help of your GPU.

Also-- Why do you not use Direct3D10...?
Problems with that, too?
Aside from the possiblity of a compatibility issue with the specific game,
it seems like your card isn't working right with DirectX in general (which is not very normal).
I could also ask you to consider that your unit is having troubles due to the sometimes problematic issues that older Radeons have been known to have (typically at the driver level).
You also could be seeing the lags with Hardware rendering when your GPU has to start allocating it's memory.

Just throwing some thoughts out there. Smile

(BTW - I don't mean to insult you by saying your GPU is weak,
but I am aware of it's specs, and how relatively weak it is compared to what PCSX2 can typically require.)
Thanx for all suggestions!

But do not forget - I'm only using 640 x 480 (or a little bit less). Playstation 2 native resolution. I already mentioned that - all games I've installed on my system are running at 60 fps with software renderer. I know that the games can not be compared to each other and I do not do that either.

I'm not using DirectX 10 because I'm using Windows XP SP3 - only DirectX 9 is available there.

I only wonder since the beginning of this thread why R-Type Final only works with "Direct3D9 (Hardware)" and not "Direct3D9 (Software)" or "SDL". It's the only game out of about 20 not working.

The only thing I noticed that sometimes there is a very small lag, about 1 second in time, while playing some games. Just the way as a background task is starting something or similar. But the rest of the time all games run at full speed.

It would be nice to learn some more things about the -cfgpath command line. I wonder how to integrate this into Maximus Arcade.
I wouldnt worry too much about using SDL, its implementation was really so linux users could use GSDX, but it was sorta put in there for windows users too, but you are probably better off with directx Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]