PCSX2 + Video-Out to TV = "Clean" De-Interlacing?
Rainbow 
Hello, thanks for reading! Smile

I was wondering - before I go to all the trouble of setting it up - whether anyone has used PCSX2 while using video-out to a television capable of displaying interlaced video? Does this effectively solve the "interlaced judders," or are there sync issues that still cause problems? Basically, the question is: does outputting to a TV solve de-interlacing in PCSX2 100 percent? No "theoretical" answers please; I want to hear about experiences that people have had actually trying it. Smile EDIT: I know that PCSX2 offers de-interlacing options, I just don't care for the way that they look on my particular system and so i'd like not to use them; no offense meant!

Secondly, does the de-interlacing option chosen in PCSX2 have any noticeable impact upon performance? Or do such video card features as Anisotropic filtering, mip map levels, etc? Or does it really all come down to the CPU? I have a system at least as good as some of the people here getting 90%+ speed, but I'm only making about 60%, and still trying to figure out what might be causing it.

Ok, thanks, bye!

Sponsored links

For the first question, I haven't used TV-Out never because I like playing it at hi-res, and I don't have an old TV set right now Tongue2.

What you can select in the GS plugins is a interlacing mode (not de-interlacing). I don't really know what are they for, I came just thinking they're a fancy feature, but I'm not really sure. There's the blend tff/bff, that depending on the game, can "hide" a bit the aliasing, but halves internal fps
As performance goes, I haven't noticed any performance impact with any interlacing mode on. Not that I use them much anyways Tongue2.

As for the video card features, almost or NONE of them does nothing to the image on PCSX2. Setting AA at 8x does nothing, just wastes avaibable video memory AFAIK. With nVidias there's a way to force FSAA with nHancer, but as I don't own a nVidia, I'll tell you to search said topic on ngemu Tongue2. We ATI users don't have any way to force these features ATM.

As for the slowlyness... You should post your specs and config Wink.

Bye
Hi,

I was wondering a question somewhat related. There is software (both commercial and homebrew) that can force a PS2 game to output in progressive scan mode instead of interlaced. And of course there are also some PS2 games that offer this option through their menus.

Is PCsx2 compatible with both scenarios? So I am asking, is PCSX2 compatible with the progressive scan mode of certain games and, if it can display progressive scan, then is it also compatible with those kinds of homebrew and commercial software?

For one example of what I mean check out this:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/742/742965p1.html

But here's the big question...

And if PCSX2 is compatible with a software like that then it does mean that through a third-party program all PS2 games can be made to run in progressive mode WITHOUT deinterlacing or interpolating, which means that it could be possible for an emulator like PCSX2 to force a progressive scan mode itself.

It seems logical but without input from someone who has done some emulator programming I don't guess that we can know for sure
AFAIK, the GS Plugins output a progressive image if no interlacing mode is selected.
I am using GSdx and the default mode shows interlacing and the various selections, as I cycle through them, seem to just apply different methods of deinterlacing (like dropping a field, weave, bob, etc.)

Do I need to boot the PS2 Bios through PCSX2 and convince it that I have component output?
Are you sure? I never get interlacing until I activate one of those. Either that, or I'm the one confused here Tongue2. I always set interlacing at "none" and get progressive results... or that's what I think.
Are you using a game with the option to display in progressive scan mode? I'm talking about all games, even those that were made without an option to run in 480p.
When I run for example Klonoa 2 or Castlevania: Lament, I get obvious signs of interlacing because everything is "combed."
Switching through the options mitigates the combing somewhat, but not completely, except in the case of field dropping which has the unfortunate side effect of halving the vertical resolution and the (visible) frame rate too.
And just to make sure we're talking about the same kind of system, I'm doing this on a normal PC monitor, not an HDTV, not via video-out as the original post was talking about.
I'm doing it on a normal PC TFT. Well, let's see.

These are the games I have:

FFX
FFX-2
.dot hack gu vol 1-2-3 (these ones even seem to use some kind of AA)
TotA
DBZ BT3
Fate Unlimited Codes

And maybe others, I don't remember well.

These games AFAIK don't have any option to change from our non-beloved 480i. At the emulator, they look as if they were a PC Game (except for TotA and Fate Unlimited Codes, they share some kind of blurriness, but that's no interlacing as far as I can tell), none of them shows any sign of interlacing (no combing, no jaggies, etc) if I set the interlacing to NONE in GSDX or have it off with ZeroGS. With any interlace mode, the game aspect changes, if I set it to WAVE, it shows combing and jaggies, if I set it to blend tff/bff, the game looks a bit blurry and halves fps, and with some other interlace modes, it looks "jumpy".

EDIT: Also, settings like component or RGB don't seem to affect how the emulator shows the games I think.
Well, I'm stumped. I have no idea why this is happening or what I can do to stop it. But I do know that a specifically-programmed third-party utility IS required to get actual PS2 units to output in 480p IF the game does not support that feature itself. I don't want to bug the programmers and I don't think they'd much want to bother with me anyway, but I can't see any other way to shed light on this problem of mine.