PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
Photo 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=66453]

Edit by Blyss Sarania(This is to make patches GPL compliant):

By submitting patches you agree for the information contained in them to become part of the public-domain. This implies that it is free for use by anyone for any purpose without restriction under copyright law. If you never agreed to these terms please contact Devina so your patches can be removed.

This thread was created, because of a dislike for 4:3 being stretched to 16:9, and a curiosity to whether there was something that could be done about it. If you are interested in how this started, have a read through the first few pages of the thread.

Below, are some useful links. To an archive of patches relentlessly collected from around this long thread by resident archiver, Devina, also to info, and essential tools used for creating patches, and other threads that followed, in the pursuit of PS2 widescreen gaming.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

Well, I've searched through all visible hex files from FFX as a reference, to see if I could find the addresses used. So my only conclusions are that, I haven't found the correct file, or it's not using the RAW hex addresses, but converting them into another address format to use in the pnach file, but I've no idea what format..yet

If I figure it out, i'll post it here, in case anyone would be interested. Though, by the looks of it, apparently not Tongue
I'm interested, just can't help at all Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(03-16-2012, 01:45 PM)Bositman Wrote: I'm interested, just can't help at all Tongue

No worries Tongue I'll update as I find.

Hex isn't exactly known for it's readability Tongue
you searching by numeral values? (and those a floating point) ugh. that's really tough work if you dunno what it changes. you could mess up the whole game engine if you change the wrong numbers. you might experience strange game behaviour there. Laugh

a tip i could give you is to get a ps2 disassembler (like ps2dis099_23) and you might need some luck for a couple games that the label definition or debug info is in the elf. that way you could search by variable name and change exactly that what you want to change.
I've been searching by address, and strings (where applicable). I'm not changing any values, only looking for the correct ones, to include in a patch file. I need to know the correct X, Y screen addresses to change, or the patch will of course do nothing.
not really confusing. i think you made a logical mistake. or you dunno about how programs get loaded on the ps2.

i'd think the difference of adresses is that ps2dis maps the file to ps2 address space as described in the elf's section headers, where hexworkshop probably does not do that. this' where you get the file offset only in workshop, not the memory location in the ps2's ram. but this is the one you need. so you have to trust the offset and code ps2dis spews out. Wink
(03-16-2012, 08:04 PM)xstyla Wrote: not really confusing. i think you made a logical mistake. or you dunno about how programs get loaded on the ps2.

i'd think the difference of adresses is that ps2dis maps the file to ps2 address space as described in the elf's section headers, where hexworkshop probably does not do that. this' where you get the file offset only in workshop, not the memory location in the ps2's ram. but this is the one you need. so you have to trust the offset and code ps2dis spews out. Wink

You're right. I hadn't thought of that.
You'll probably have it easier to seek through actual memory(of pcsx2 with loaded game) using for example cheat engine(with search range of 20000000 to maybe 21ffffff max, maybe even 20ffffff would be enough in here)than hex editor.

I would guess the "RATIO" text doesn't mean much here at all, just some leftover or unfinished feature, if you divide Y/X native res you get ratio in float which in FFX 416/512 ~ 0,8, if you seek that float in it'll end as one of the first results(only in FFX of course). Most likely that find in FFX patch wasn't made by some smart easy to convert method or uber skills, but luck+experience+FFfanatism which equals to guessing and testing having lots of will and time(or simply maxed luck stats;P), unless the game changes ratio or resolution ie. while playing a movie, which could be helpfull start. Different game engine will most probably store ratio in different way and that all means even while the topic is interesting it'll not just start flowing with 16/9(/10) patches. Good luck finding it in the games you like through, hope I didn't killed any motivation here. O.o

pre-post-edit(lol):
Hmmm or maybe I'm wrong about it being hard and different, couse I think I just found something in DBZ:BT3 and that's a pal version;P meaning 512/512 = 1 which seemed impossible to find at first;P(yuck 161k results with float 1.000) and actually every thing including camera distance, interface size and probably char models has own parameters which can be easily changed and found in early adresses by seek I proposed in cheat engine, I need to check a bit more couse I have too much useless adresses now;P, couse I mass changed loads of them just to check(my luck that it didn't crashed which would be expected;O).
Thanks for the tip miseru, I'll be sure to try Cheat Engine when I'm home again sunday.