PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
I just found this thread and it is the most awesome thread ever made! I can't believe I've been playing my PS2 games without these patches! Great thanks to nemesis2000 for the widescreen patches of Suikoden IV and V!

I have a request though! I hope someone could create a widescreen patch for Growlanser Heritage of War (SLUS-21571). I would be forever grateful!

Sponsored links

Thanks. Requests are closed though, no exceptions. Tongue

Porting requests are always open.
I prefer NTSC-U because I can't read Japanese, and I gotta have my 60 fps, not 50 fps.
Woah requests are closed? T_T Here's to hoping a kind soul will answer the call. XD
I finally discovered how to enable widescreen in ESPN NFL 2k5! You have to first boot into the ps2 main menu change the option to widescreen in the options (duh!) but then you have to boot the game from there by swaping in the disc because using fast boot will not enable it. BUT whoever did the widescreen for the game did it for 16/10 instead of 16/9 they also changed the fov. Setting the fit to window option with custom window size of a 16/10 resolution seems to fix the stretching.

Game still a pain to get working because it constantly freezes at boot or when loading a game making it difficult to test. But once you're in a actual game it's fine.

Screen shot is from entering a replay and the camera is not moved.
Normal
LINK

Widescreen
LINK (16/9) *stretched*
LINK (16/10)
(03-26-2013, 03:51 PM)Argon Wrote: I think widescreen feature would be popular among PS3 users. (As for myself, I am very happy with PS2 console + OPL SMB Setup + mastercode finder + .pnach converter. Thanks, pelvictrustman. But PS2 consoles won't last forever... Sad )

And Neither will the PS3, especially since BC is dropped in PS4, at the end of the day the PNACH format should have the best longevity since PCSX2 will still be usable in 20 years Smile. This is one good reason all hacks should be in PNACH format, or at least converted to it.

(03-27-2013, 01:50 PM)devina40 Wrote: I have no idea why it'd work on a real PS2, but not PCSX2.

PCSX2 is far from perfect, if it does work on a real PS2 then the code is correct and when the emulator improves it should work, that said I agree - check the config/switch to software rendering, etc...

@devina40
I've created an application to port HEX -> PNACH automatically, it also includes more advanced search functionality than a HEX editor (partial aka bitmasked searches as well as seeing ALL results at once - think ctrl-f on steroids), this makes converting HEX->PNACH instant and should allow for much simpler porting between reigons. A manual is included with the program and should answer any questions.

Here's a screenshot of it creating a PNACH for ICO:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/elf-sear...ost1050916

I'm going to try and see if I can't use this as a way to find widescreen hacks quickly, I think if I get the right pattern data input it should be a pretty good method

Also, please consider updating the Silent Hill 2 NTSC PNACH, the attached PNACH has correct scaling and no cropping (as posted before).

Attached Files
.pnach   8E8E384B.pnach (Size: 383 bytes / Downloads: 800)
Nice app pelvicthrustman. If you've any plans to release the source, let me know. I'd be interested to get a goggle at it Tongue

Edit: Tested, and it's working as intended thus far, +1

See if devina wants to put it in her archive post, or else I'll add a link to it in the OP.
(03-29-2013, 04:32 PM)devina40 Wrote: Thanks. Requests are closed though, no exceptions. Tongue

Porting requests are always open.
I prefer NTSC-U because I can't read Japanese, and I gotta have my 60 fps, not 50 fps.

Why no more requests? Certainly there are games that people still would want Widescreen patches for...
@grandma:
Set widescreen to "Full" in the PS2 menu, and run the game through "Boot CDVD (full)", not through disc-swapping.
Any difference?
(03-31-2013, 06:03 AM)Asmodean Wrote: Nice app pelvicthrustman. If you've any plans to release the source, let me know. I'd be interested to get a goggle at it Tongue

I can release if there's some interest - I'm pretty anal about prepping source for mass consumption though so it'd take a bit of work since I threw this together in a couple days (not that it's dirty just essentially uncommented).

If there's any particular questions you have I can answer them.
(03-31-2013, 05:52 AM)pelvicthrustman Wrote: PCSX2 is far from perfect, if it does work on a real PS2 then the code is correct and when the emulator improves it should work, that said I agree - check the config/switch to software rendering, etc...

I got the game and tried the code, and no, portraits don't show up in either hardware/software mode. They do work in the NTSC-U version, leading me to believe the code isn't right... oh well.

Nice job on the program! You're so talented. I take back what I said about it not being necessary, I think it could still have good use.

I did some porting myself (as shown in the changelog) and we have 27 elf hacks.
However, a lot of them are NTSC-J games, so it's not that important. To find them in the archive, just search for .txt files in Windows Explorer.

It would be nice if you could make the program find the most common widescreen values (3C013F80 seems to be a very common one).
Imagine simply dropping an .elf file into the program, make it search, and have it say "Hey, this is a potential widescreen address!" Perhaps the same for FMV hacks too, if there's a common pattern.

I wish you lots of luck.

(03-31-2013, 06:03 AM)Asmodean Wrote: else I'll add a link to it in the OP.

Nah, I'd rather you do it. The archive post should ideally be only for things related to the archive.
Rather than linking solely to the archive, I think it'd help if you could also link to other useful stuff in the first post, such as:

- Synce's original Cheat Engine tutorial
- Synce post of render fix values
- Hyakki's Widescreen Helper
- Pelvicthrustman's Elf Search Tool
- Pelvicthrustman's ps2rdmod with pnach support
- Nemesis' ps2wide.net
- Float to hex converter
- PSX-Scene widescreen hacks forums
- Cheat Engine download site
- ArtMoney download site
- Ps2dis download

You know, just a lot of references to help make things easier, 'cause right now, I kind of have a big burden on me. Wacko

(03-31-2013, 06:22 AM)Mr.Bonkers Wrote: Why no more requests? Certainly there are games that people still would want Widescreen patches for...

Because if requests are always open, the thread just becomes derailed to people asking games, rather than actually developing and working on them (which is more important, in my opinion).
I don't want developers to feel stressed out seeing a list growing bigger and bigger. Just be patient. Remember: port requests are always open.
If there's a certain game you really, really, really, really, really want in widescreen, become a widescreen developer and go for it.