PCSX2 and Ultra Wide Screen
Are there any ways to get PCSX2 (even if only in specific games) to render in ultra wide screen aspect ration? (21:9)? Been looking at an ultrawide monitor and wondering if I would get any benefit out of it in PCSX2. (obviously I'm not buy the monitor specifically for PCSX2 this is just something I'm curious about)

Sponsored links

You can normally convert widescreen patches also to other aspect ratios. You just have to do it manually.

HUD elements will be stretched even more.
(11-05-2015, 09:53 PM)willkuer Wrote: You can normally convert widescreen patches also to other aspect ratios. You just have to do it manually.

HUD elements will be stretched even more.
Not all games convert easily and you'll need to make new patches for games that support 16:9 natively too. I like making 16:10 patches for my games and it can be a struggle at times.
I'd love some 16:10 patches for certain games but i got shot for asking in the thread -.-
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
many games have occlusion culling, means any polygons that are outside of the visible screen area are not being rendered, so they will pop in and out when the camera is moving around.

There is a way to fix this in the game's renderer, it cost more performance and I also don't think that it works with any game.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

(11-06-2015, 09:12 PM)Nexxxus Wrote: many games have occlusion culling, means any polygons that are outside of the visible screen area are not being rendered, so they will pop in and out when the camera is moving around.

There is a way to fix this in the game's renderer, it cost more performance and I also don't think that it works with any game.

Doesn't sound like much of a fix lol.
I dont see the portability issue from 16:9 to other denormal aspect ratios. You get exactly the same issues. Hud is stretched, you might need a renderer fix, you need to fix zoom, everything that is problematic for 16:9 will be problematic as well for other aspect ratios.

I would stay with the statement: if there is a properly working widescreen hack for a game that doesnt support widescreen you can manipulate that hack to support all other aspect ratios. I dont see limitations.
(11-06-2015, 11:03 PM)willkuer Wrote: I dont see the portability issue from 16:9 to other denormal aspect ratios. You get exactly the same issues. Hud is stretched, you might need a renderer fix, you need to fix zoom, everything that is problematic for 16:9 will be problematic as well for other aspect ratios.

I would stay with the statement: if there is a properly working widescreen hack for a game that doesnt support widescreen you can manipulate that hack to support all other aspect ratios. I dont see limitations.

Any suggestion on how you would go about editing said files?
(11-06-2015, 11:03 PM)willkuer Wrote: I would stay with the statement: if there is a properly working widescreen hack for a game that doesnt support widescreen you can manipulate that hack to support all other aspect ratios. I dont see limitations.

One is culling like stated above. PS2 has no hardware culling, but some games do it in software. As you prolly know, occlusion culling means the engine does not render stuff that is outside of the viewport. When WS patches are made for games like that, poly objects that are outside the 4:3 viewpoint don't show, just the background.

The solution is render fixes. Special hacks the WS patch masters make which fix the culling so that it shows stuff in those areas.

The problem is those render fixes are HARD to make for most games, and only include the 16:9 area. Changing the FOV hacks from 16:9 to 16:10 or whatever isn't that difficult. But for the games that have them, changing the render fixes is.

Patches that have no render fixes work fine on real PS2 without any performance hit! Isn't that awesome? A lot of people don't know that. Anyway, this is because without occlusion culling the GS is drawing stuff outside the viewport anyway. The patch only extends the viewport to show it. However games WITH render fixes don't work as well on real PS2. They can work, but it can cause slowdown or internal FPS drop since now the GS is drawing new stuff that it wasn't before. With a ratio like 21:9 that may become a problem even in the emulator.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-06-2015, 11:16 PM)bomblord Wrote: Any suggestion on how you would go about editing said files?

For example.
Code:
gametitle=Kingdom Hearts (SLUS-20370)
comment=Widescreen patch by nemesis2000 (pnach by nemesis2000 )
patch=1,EE,001103ac,word,3c0143d6 //render fix
patch=1,EE,00110898,word,3c013f19 //hor value first half
patch=1,EE,0011089c,word,3421999a //hor value second half

Alter the values (the 2nd entry) of the codes. You'll have to experiment a bit to see how it affects the game / aspect ratios.

I was actually messing about for a fix in Phantasy Star Universe, because the HUD gets ***** up by the WS patches. (Minimap is off, and the enemy targeting system is also a bit off because of it).
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)