PCSX2 and XBMC - Advanced Launcher
So I figured I would give this little ticket a try, because well I have nothing better to do than tinker around with my XBMC build as well as update PCSX2 to the latest beta (3878).

Quickly learned that CLI booting of iso files is possible through PCSX2 now, and tested and confirmed working beautifully.

Using XBMC, however, and specifically the Advanced Launcher program, any time it tries to boot the game I get the error from CDVD saying that there are insufficient resources and/or hardware/devices.

Running an i7 930 with a GTX470, and i know the game runs fine. I'd imagine it has something to do with how XBMC holds when trying to launch PCSX2, but i figured I'd see if anyone knew exactly which resources were held and if a slight tweak would be easily found Smile

That, or has anyone else had any success to getting XBMC to launch PCSX2 properly? I'm close.. just not all the way there yet.

Sponsored links

(01-29-2011, 07:39 AM)KHShadowrunner Wrote: So I figured I would give this little ticket a try, because well I have nothing better to do than tinker around with my XBMC build as well as update PCSX2 to the latest beta (3878).

Quickly learned that CLI booting of iso files is possible through PCSX2 now, and tested and confirmed working beautifully.

Using XBMC, however, and specifically the Advanced Launcher program, any time it tries to boot the game I get the error from CDVD saying that there are insufficient resources and/or hardware/devices.

Running an i7 930 with a GTX470, and i know the game runs fine. I'd imagine it has something to do with how XBMC holds when trying to launch PCSX2, but i figured I'd see if anyone knew exactly which resources were held and if a slight tweak would be easily found Smile

That, or has anyone else had any success to getting XBMC to launch PCSX2 properly? I'm close.. just not all the way there yet.

Hey man,

I've got pretty much the same rig & i'm also trying to get this to run with Advanced Launcher in XBMC, with no luck either. Have you had any luck with this yet?

I've tried all of the relevant command line arguments in the launcher options, but none seem to work. I was originally using an older build of PCSX2, which gave me the 'insufficuent resources' error, but now that i'm using 0.9.6 it just takes me straight to the GUI (i don't use --nogui at the moment) & then I have to add the ISO manually & boot the game.

I know that you can create a Windows shortcut to PCSX2 & add iso name into the target to get it to run it, which i've tried myself, so maybe i'll try & sort some way of launching those shortcuts in Advanced Launcher instead, but i'd prefer to do it properly instead as it'll be far less complicated & easier to organise.

Hopefully you've made some progress with it (i've heard of people using PCSX2 in XBMC without problems), but if not then maybe we can work together to find a solution.

Cheers
I don't know how to describe the issue, but the only answer I can give is... it's with the launcher.

I used a different one and while it doesn't close properly, it does launch and I can typically play for quite a bit just fine.

Still investigating, but... for now, if you're only looking for PCSX2 (or if you feel you have the time to configure 2 plugins for it), use the Rom Collection Browser. I think i got the regular launcher working too. But I'm still investigating this one...
Well, literally after typing that, I figured I'd cross-reference the two config files and I made a most wonderful and obvious mistake with the config on the Advanced Launcher (set it up, then changed a file name, always a no-no).

Now I can launch games just fine, only problem is that PCSX2 doesn't close properly after hitting escape to get out of and close down full screen mode. I bet it's an easy setting to adjust, but otherwise it's working fine. Let me know if you need any help.
(02-03-2011, 05:16 AM)KHShadowrunner Wrote: Well, literally after typing that, I figured I'd cross-reference the two config files and I made a most wonderful and obvious mistake with the config on the Advanced Launcher (set it up, then changed a file name, always a no-no).

Now I can launch games just fine, only problem is that PCSX2 doesn't close properly after hitting escape to get out of and close down full screen mode. I bet it's an easy setting to adjust, but otherwise it's working fine. Let me know if you need any help.

Hello!

So what exactly do i need to do with my config files? (by this, do you mean the launcher.xml?) Or do you think it's because i may have renamed a file at some point aswell & caused an error?

Either way, i'd love to know how you've got it configured so that i can do the same.

As for the issue with PCSX2 not closing properly after hitting escape - i suspect that you may have been using the --nogui argument, which only HIDES the GUI & so when you 'escape' out of the game - it appears that PCSX2 has closed, but infact the GUI is still active but hidden. If you go into the 'Speedhacks' options (in the later builds of PCSX2) you'll see an option to make 'escape' kill PCSX2 - That should sort that out for you Smile

Just after my original post - i posted a similar post over on the official Advanced Launcher thread over on the XBMC forums & Angelscry (the developer) kindly wrote & posted an AutoIT script for launching PCSX2, which i've had chance to try yet. But if possible, i'd like to get it working natively Smile

Nice work fella!

Oh & here's the xbmc thread i was talking about..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=85724&page=132

Oh & also - what arguments are you using to run PCSX2? I suspect this may be one of my stumbling blocks...
Supposedly the whole not closing on escape thing when in fullscreen mode is being addressed in the next pcsx2 verision/update Smile. We'll have to see how it goes.

As far as the config goes, it's pretty basic. As you mentioned, the -gui command just wasn't very helpful due to the restrictions (and I happen to be using xmapper to control my mouse as well anyways, so i can manually close pcsx2), so i removed it.

Just a stright launch with the "%rom%" setting, if i'm not mistaken. Set up for running in full screen, and it seems to be fine.
I've been using the old launcher instead of the new advanced one, but it works well. I like to have folders by category (multiplayer, singleplayer, etc) instead of by system (snes, psx2, etc). The way I've done it, you can just make folders of normal windows shortcuts and point the dummy launcher to it (I even use a folder on my start menu for easy access when I'm not in XBMC).

Here's the basic instructions, I'll try not to leave anything out. I'm using Windows 7 but it should work on any windows.

STEP 1 - Make a dummy launcher
-make a text file, rename it to dummy_launcher.bat
-open the bat file for editing, enter ONLY "%1" -no quotes! This means it will just run the first parameter.
-use this program to convert that bat file to an exe:
http://download.cnet.com/Bat-To-Exe-Conv...55897.html
Make it an invisible application and click compile. This will make a file called "dummy_launcher.exe" or whatever you named it

STEP 2 - make a folder of windows shortcuts to run your games directly. Hopefully you can figure this out.
right click on a shortcut and go to properties. The target should look something like this:
D:\Games\psx2\pcsx2.exe "D:\Games\psx2\Games\Marvel vs Capcom 2.bin"
[path to pcsx2.exe] "[path to game]"
-make sure they work from windows, or they won't work from XBMC!

STEP 3 - set up XBMC
-install the launcher plugin in XBMC from here:
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-launcher/
Hopefully you can figure that out.

-Open XBMC. Go to Programs --> Program Addons --> Launcher
-Launcher Type pick "File launcher (e.g. game emulator)
-select dummy_launcher.exe as your application
-leave "application arguments" empty
-select the folder of shortcuts as the folder
-file extension enter "lnk" - no quotes!
-voila!!

To add more games just add more shortcuts to the folder in Windows and right click on it in XBMC and select "Import files from path". You can also easily add custom thumbnails by naming an image the same thing as the shortcut, jpg and png files both work.

Also having the issue of PCSX2 not closing on esc....hopefully that is fixed soon.
Well I came up with a solution, it even saves custom settings for each game and works well for me, of course your mileage may vary

Anyway got around my isses and here I have a batch file for launching PCSX2 with custom configs per game.

Code:
@echo off
echo %1
echo %2
echo %3
echo %4

pssuspend XBMC.exe

REM replace this with your pcsx2 executable
set process_1="pcsx2-r3878.exe"
set ignore_result=INFO:

REM copy config files

copy /Y %2\%4\*.* %3\saves\inis

REM start the program

cd %3
pcsx2-r3878.exe %1 --console

REM copy updated config files to rompath

copy /Y %3\saves\inis\*.ini %2\%4\

pssuspend -r XBMC.exe

Ok so the setup part.

You need this arguments:

%rom% %rompath% %apppath% %romname%

Rom structure
Code:
|
|
|----Romfolder
|----|
|----|
|----| Example Game 1.iso
|----| Example Game 1
|----| ----|inifiles
|----| Example Game 2.iso
|----| Example Game 2
|----| ----|inifiles

You need to setup PCSX2 to save it's ini files on the executable path\saves\inis, this means your ini files will be at:

%apppath%\saves\inis

for example in my case it will launch PCSX2 this way:

pcsx2.bat "d:\games\roms\ps2\god of war.iso" "d:\games\roms\ps2\" "c:\games\emulators\pcsx2\" "god of war"

After exiting the emulator the updated config files (if modified at all) will be automatically copied to the rompath so your configuration will be saved.

Quote:Disclaimer:

This script performs copy tasks, migt copy files from a location to another, be sure to review it before using, it's provided as it is, no warranties

I figured out the solution to this. The only issue i have is how i cant get back to xbmc after im done with pcsx2.
Basically just put the pcsx2 for the application then for arguments put "%rom%" with the quotes and viola!

If anyone has an idea on how i can go straight back to xbmc after closing pcsx2 i would be very happy.