PCSX2 and new hardware
Hello guys I'm starting a new build and just wanted to check in here before buying my parts. I know what I'm getting should be well above the power threshold for PCSX2 but I just wanted to ask a a couple of questions.

CPU: i5-6600(may splurge for an i7 not sure yet) anyway there's an known bug in skylake (there's a bios fix but not every board manufacturer has rolled it out yet) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake...30979.html that causes system freezes/crashes when calculating prime numbers "it may also affect compute-intensive programs such as scientific and financial applications. This problem affects all Skylake processors ranging from the low-end Core M up to the top-end Xeon CPUs." since it should only affect compute intensive programs I was wondering if PCSX2 falls under this? If so I'll probably have to make sure my board falls under the manufacturers that have updated bios.

GPU: which will be an r9 Nano. Once again this should be more than plenty in terms of power for PCSX2 I would assume but I know there's some stuff with the OpenGL performance and Radeon GPU's would this affect my GPU? Should I be looking at 6" Nvidia instead for OpenGL? or does this have enough raw power that it won't make a difference? I know OpenGL is the new recommended backend so I wanted to be sure I was in the clear for future updates.

Other thoughts I'll be using DDR4 Ram anyone know if that has any performance gains in PCSX2?

Anyway thanks for any input!

Sponsored links

my vote is nvidia if want to use Opengl , as it the only api in pcsx2 that even being worked on less amd fixes there issue with opengl with there drivers
(01-19-2016, 08:08 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: my vote is nvidia if want to use Opengl , as it the only api in pcsx2 that even being worked on less amd fixes there issue with opengl with there drivers

Could you detail the issues I know they exist but are they legitimate issues like things not functioning or just decreased performance? I'm going for an ultra small form factor build which will limit my GPU ceiling to a 970 mini with NVIDIA which isn't out of the question but if I could stick with the r9 nano I would like to.
(01-19-2016, 08:13 PM)bomblord Wrote: Could you detail the issues I know they exist but are they legitimate issues like things not functioning or just decreased performance? I'm going for an ultra small form factor build which will limit my GPU ceiling to a 970 mini with NVIDIA which isn't out of the question but if I could stick with the r9 nano I would like to.

Mostly performance(and the difference can be pretty significant). Plus maxwell supports extensions that radeons don't that could improve accuracy and performance for pcsx2 in the future.
Upgrading your current i5 3470 to a i5 6600 won't offer much better performance for PCSX2, or probably anything for that matter. I would get an i5 6600k and give it a slight overclock up over 4 GHz.
Tongue 
(01-19-2016, 08:33 PM)JonyeGway Wrote: Upgrading your current i5 3470 to a i5 6600 won't offer much better performance for PCSX2, or probably anything for that matter. I would get an i5 6600k and give it a slight overclock up over 4 GHz.

There's a fairly large difference
[Image: zm6l5gg.png]
(01-19-2016, 08:38 PM)bomblord Wrote: There's a fairly large difference
[Image: zm6l5gg.png]

Much faster iGPU, but it's only ~10% faster in passmark...
(01-19-2016, 08:57 PM)dogen Wrote: Much faster iGPU, but it's only ~10% faster in passmark...

That's single core.

There's some more benches here http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/423/Int...-6600.html
(01-19-2016, 08:59 PM)bomblord Wrote: That's single core.

Which is what matters for PCSX2.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(01-19-2016, 08:59 PM)bomblord Wrote: That's single core.

There's some more benches here http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/423/Int...-6600.html

Ok, ~20%. That's a decent improvement, but it's still not worth it unless you get the unlocked one imo.