PCSX2 causing Driver crashes and BSOD
I have an issue where if I try to change the scaling options in GSDX or change the internal resolution the emulator crashes and causes my ati drivers to crash. It usually recovers but sometimes I even get the Blue screen of death. This usually happens when I'm playing a game and I pause the emulation to change the gsdx resolution settings, then start the emulation from where I paused.

Is this a known issue?

Sponsored links

Haven't heard about this before, have you tried changing your drivers? Did this always happen?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
It happens with the latest release of GSDX. The releases that have the scaling option. It happens a lot more frquently in the PCSX2 0.9.7(I know it's very unstable and it's in the pre alpha stages), but it still happens often in the PCSX2 beta 1888. It also happens in the official beta pack of plugins for March 11th. It's more of a GSDX issue than anything.

It's been happening all all of my drivers as well. I've been dealing with it for a while now because I thought that it was just an issue that was being worked on, but since I don't here anyone talking about it, I'm wondering whats the problem.

It also happens when I try to change the anti aliasing settings.
I suggest you to check if your pc is stable or not by perhaps running some stress test software for your video card and cpu becuase BSOD seems to relate more on the hardware side than software side.. Also, keep an eye on your video card's temperature while you're testing.

I 've been playing Shadow hearts 3 using r1888+march plugin for at least 2 hours, and I have not got a single BSOD. In fact, the only time I got BSOD was way back when I was overclocking my cpu. Unstable cpu clock gave me the BSOD.

Btw the aa is not perfect yet. Well, so far I know it causes graphic glitches in shadow hearts 3.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
I am 100% sure that my system is completely stable. My temperatures are in the safe ranges, and I don't get stability issues in any other programs or stress test programs like OCCT and furmark. It's just in pcsx2. It doesn't happen when I'm playing the game, it happens when I'm changing the video settings without restarting the program or rebooting the game. If I change them too much eventually what will happen is that pcsx2 will freeze, then my whole system will freeze up for a couple of seconds, then the screen will go black then flash back to normal with a windows message saying that the driver stopped respnding and has now recovered. I only got a BSOD once from doing this though.

Also, if it helps I have an Intel Core i7 920, and a Radeon 4850. Everything is at the stock clocks and configurations, and i'm running Vista 64bit.
mine is vista 32 bit system, and I did change GSDX setting a few times( basically changing the aa) while I was playing the game. It might be because of the 64bit system, but if it was the cause, it would have been known before the released of plugin. I think you should note that pcsx2 has been used by thousands of people, and it seems that you're the only one getting such an odd problem. It is very likely the problem is on your end not the emulator.

Quote:then my whole system will freeze up for a couple of seconds, then the screen will go black then flash back to normal with a windows message saying that the driver stopped respnding and has now recovered. I only got a BSOD once from doing this though.
If you're getting this message, it means the problem is caused by your video card. Make sure you have the latest driver and also keep an eye on temperature. If it happens you have overclock your video card, change it back to stock and see for improvment. Also, use the gpu stress test in OCCT check for error and temperature, 30mins or 1 hour test should be good enough.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
How many times did you change it? Did you do it 3 or 4 times or did you do it 8, 9 or 10 times? What video card do you have? Is it a Nvidia card or an ATi?

The message I get doesn't exactly mean that my video card is bad or is caused by the video. It does mean that there is an issue involving the video card though. My temeperatures are perfectly fine, I always keep a close eye on them even though I never overclock anything in my pc. The card is furmark and occt stable. It even happens when the card is underclocked. I do have the latest Catalyst drivers, and even on the older drivers I have this issue. Actually now that I remember, I did get my video card RMA'd about a month and a half ago and I was having the issue on both cards. The problem I'm having is that changing the Anti aliasing settings, or the scaling settings in gsdx somehow conflicts with my video card drivers or my video card for some reason. I know this because it happens under the exact same conditions, using the exact same methods using the exact same plugins. It is most likely not an issue with my video card being stable. T

Now Im not trying to say that this is happening for everybody. I know that there are thousands of people using pcsx2. I'm not trying to bash pcsx2 or anything. OOr blame it for this issue, this could just be a problem with ATi messing up with their recent releases of drivers. I'm just wondering why Im getting this and if there is someone else who can help me out or something.
Have you tried disabling Catalyst AI? It can sometimes crash things randomly (at least my version of the driver did).
Also is your PSU powerful enough? i7 from what i heard is very power hungry and the 4850 too (try this to calculate needed PSU power http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp )
I just turned off Catalyst A.I and started testing again. At first I thought it fixed the issue, since I had changed the settings in game about 7 times, but I kept on doing it and after a couple more tries, I got another driver crash.
After trying the new GSDX revision that removed DX10 mode in place of DX11, my problems seem to have been fixed thankfully. I don't know what caused it, but I'm glad everything is alright now.