PCSX2 chroot issues
Hello, I have been attempting to install PCSX2 into a chroot environment and have come up with an issue.

My host OS is Linux Mint 14.1 Cinnamon amd64, and the chroot is Ubuntu Quantal Quetzel i386.
My computer has an Intel i7-3770K with a Nvidia GeForce GTX560.
I have the proper proprietary drivers installed to the host for the graphics card, but none installed in the chroot if that makes a difference.
I am using the newest official PCSX2 binary 1.0.0, not gregory's ppa or anything unofficial/unstable.

In the chroot itself, I have all of the dependencies satisfied for PCSX2 as far as the terminal has lead me to believe.
When I load an ISO and launch it in windowed or fullscreen mode, I only get white where the normal video output would be.
There is also no audio.

All of the indicators at the top tell me that PCSX2 is running fine. FPS, EE, GS, and such.
The game I am attempting to run is a proper ISO dump from one of my discs and ran fine under Windows.

The chroot itself is very basic and I have next to nothing except the dependencies for PCSX2.
Could there be an issue with the plugins?
Is there something I am lacking in the chroot that PCSX2 might need?
Is there a different distribution of Ubuntu that I could run as a chroot to get better results from PCSX2?

Thank you.

Sponsored links

chroot is outdated for ubuntu type of distros due to multiarch. ppa is the best and easiest choice as there hasnt been a milestone development for nvidia. however if you insist, add the ppa repo but dont install. then install virtualbox 32 bit mint or ubuntu. compile the svn there and transfer it back to 64 bit os. then sudo apt-get build-dep pcsx2-unstable:i386. that should get you the dependencies you need. you may need to add portaudio:i386 (forgot the lib name).
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Ah... The status "newbie" does come with some meaning. I had somehow misinterpreted what had been written about multiarch's usability with PCSX2. Within 5 minutes of playing around, it runs perfectly. Thank you for making this obvious to me, and if it wasn't obvious already, I'm trying to learn more about using Linux as well. Regardless, I truly love the project and hope it doesn't come to a stop any time soon. Thank you.
(04-12-2013, 03:42 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: chroot is outdated for ubuntu type of distros due to multiarch. ppa is the best and easiest choice
although the problem was already resolved, I just felt like translating this into newbish (my first language):

chroot is no longer necessary for playing games in pcsx. chroot should not be necessary at all, but certain difficulties require it to compile pcsx2. Compiling is likely not where you want to start. The Gregory Hainaut's PPA offers a simpler solution for playing games.

Quick how-to on the ppa:
Code:
# add-apt-repository ppa:gregory-hainaut/pcsx2.official.ppa
# apt-get upate
# apt-get install apt-get install pcsx2-unstable:i386
the :i386 tag will not be necessary if you are using a 32bit OS.
Compiling is pretty much impossible in 64 bit, that's why I recommend the VirtualBox 32bit method. Once it is compiled, just transfer the file back to the 64bit OS. Then just follow my other instructions above. This will enable you to play the latest SVN on 64bit. I always recommend to others to just use the PPA. However, some do insist to use the bleeding edge SVN.

The are only 2 downsides to the PPA 1) CDVD is null only, only allowing to load from iso. This is bad for SSD users who only have a SSD (small size). 2) You can't get the latest version unless gregory updates the version used. Let's face it, we all lives outside of work and pcsx2 so things can't always be updated right away.

(04-23-2013, 03:13 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: Compiling is pretty much impossible in 64 bit
I used to think the same thing, when I was using Ubuntu. Since I've switched to Archlinux the number of things that actually work the way they are supposed to almost brings me to tears.

Multiarch on Archlinux is being done the right way, such that with the proper lib32-dependencies installed, the git version of PCSX2 can be compiled on 64bit Archlinux with no chroot and no trouble.

Not that you have to know any of that to get it done, because the easiest way to install it is the AUR package. Your aur-helper and pacman will install all the necessary dependencies.

Does it get any better? (actually a true 64bit build would be much better; which may finally happen)
I second the Arch, or in my case, Antergos method of multiarch. Smile

After 2 years, certain libs in Ubuntu's multiarch still want to uninstall half your system! The pre-compiled pcsx2 version in the pacman multilibs section is from 18 Aug 2014, so it is fairly fresh. I have had decent success now that Antergos has cleaned up a lot of the bugs in the installer. I just wish the pcsx2 install included lib32-libpulse...it doesn't...hence no sound if you forget to instal that lib separately.