PCSX2 crashes
Hi guys. I have a problem: since i changed to Mavericks, PCSX2 don't work anymore. The games still start but then, more or less 3 seconds later, it crashes.

Any help, or i'm doomed?.

Oh, and another thing: it the general (PC) proyect now in a pause?, cause you haven't posted news of it since 2012.

Sponsored links

I don't think pcsx2 for mac is supposed to be compatible with mavericks.
and about the "pause", no, the project is still updated regularly. Unfortunately, the Mac port is maintained by only one guy (Zedr0n)
better ask him directly if you want a clear answer.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Or run PCSX2 on Windows with Bootcamp.
(12-18-2013, 11:48 PM)jesalvein Wrote: I don't think pcsx2 for mac is supposed to be compatible with mavericks.
and about the "pause", no, the project is still updated regularly. Unfortunately, the Mac port is maintained by only one guy (Zedr0n)
better ask him directly if you want a clear answer.

Is he still in the forum?
(12-19-2013, 12:01 AM)MqBuffon Wrote: Is he still in the forum?

no idea.
the mac section isn't officially part of the pcsx2 team.
(12-19-2013, 12:04 AM)jesalvein Wrote: no idea.
the mac section isn't officially part of the pcsx2 team.

I send him a message through this forum. Lets see what happens.

And what about a Wineskin Wrapper version?, i tried to make it, but it failed.
Never heard of it...
(12-19-2013, 12:20 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Never heard of it...

I believe it's pretty much the Windows version running through Wine.

You might want to try it in case it works, years ago for that to work you needed the ZeroGS plugin but maybe now GSdx is mature enough as an OpenGL renderer OR Wine has evolved enough for GSdx to work in DirectX mode, you can keep on trying to see if you make it.

The way I would do it is install MacPorts followed by Wine followed by PCSX2 for Windows on Wine, try the newest version in SVN and then try older if that doesn't work, that might be better than the outdated Mac port, but not by much really... Just make sure it's running on xQuartz and not the official Apple X11 app.

EDIT: Actually Wine now has a Mac display driver so you might not need xQuartz at all, remains to be seen, I don't use OSX.
Good luck Smile
(12-19-2013, 12:24 AM)pablocrossa Wrote: I believe it's pretty much the Windows version running through Wine.

You might want to try it in case it works, years ago for that to work you needed the ZeroGS plugin but maybe now GSdx is mature enough as an OpenGL renderer OR Wine has evolved enough for GSdx to work in DirectX mode, you can keep on trying to see if you make it.

The way I would do it is install MacPorts followed by Wine followed by PCSX2 for Windows on Wine, try the newest version in SVN and then try older if that doesn't work, that might be better than the outdated Mac port, but not by much really... Just make sure it's running on xQuartz and not the official Apple X11 app.

EDIT: Actually Wine now has a Mac display driver so you might not need xQuartz at all, remains to be seen, I don't use OSX.
Good luck Smile

This looks promising. Can you please, please, give me a step by step tutorial, 'cause i'm kind a newbie in all of this. I'll be eternally grateful.
I only used OSX for a while some time ago, so I will try my best to help you through this. You will probably need some time to get through this list of tasks though Wink

NOTE: If any step fails get back to me Smile

1. Install Xcode (howto):
http://guide.macports.org/#installing.xcode
MAKE SURE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING IS SELECTED:
("UNIX Development", "System Tools", "Command Line Tools", or "Command Line Support")
As far as I can gather they come with the newest version of Xcode for Mavericks by default, but check just in case Smile

2. After it is installed open a terminal and type (NOTE: every time I ask you to type on the terminal press enter after the command Smile ):
sudo xcodebuild -license
Accept the Xcode license if asked.
(note that as it asks you for your password no characters will appear on the terminal; however it is being typed)
Do not close it when you're done as we will need it later.

3. Download and install this PKG (MacPorts):
https://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/...ericks.pkg

At this point MacPorts should be installed; this is a useful tool for Mac as it allows the installation of many Unix compatible software from the command line and it will download and compile it for you.

4. Open a terminal and type:
sudo port install wine

At this point go grab a cup of coffee because this will take some time Smile

5. CHECK THERE WERE NO ERRORS ON THE TERMINAL OUTPUT (if there are come back here and I will try to help you)

6. Type on the terminal:
sudo port install winetricks
This will be used later as when you run PCSX2 it will complain that some DLLs are missing; we will fix it with this Smile

At this point wine is installed but we need to set it up.

7. On the terminal type:
winecfg
If prompted to install mono or gecko click cancel, they are not needed for PCSX2.
After a short while a window with settings should open.

8. Click on the 'About' tab at the top right.

9. Write your username as the owner and anything under organization (I like filling these in personally).

10. Click "OK"

11. On the terminal type:
winetricks

12. "Select the default wineprefix" should already be selected; if not select it and hit "OK"
Choose yes or no about reporting statistics if it asks.

13. Select "Install a Windows DLL or component" and click "OK"

14. Check the boxes to the left of:
d3dx9_36
vcrun2010

15. Click OK and wait for winetricks to finish.
NOTE: if it complains about a missing cabextract try typing:
sudo port install cabextract
on the terminal and after that finishes run again from step 11.

EDIT: Steps 15 and 17 to 18 might not be needed, I'm not sure the CG toolkit is needed any more but please try them Smile

15. Download this:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/cg/..._Setup.exe

16. Go to your downloads folder with the terminal (I believe it opens up in your user's home directory and the "cd" command changes directory; you would have to type "cd Downloads" I BELIEVE to go into downloads). Type "pwd" to see where the terminal currently is and "ls" to see existing files.

17. Once you are in your "Downloads" folder with your terminal type:
wine Cg-3.1_April2012_Setup.exe

18. Install the program that comes up, the Nvidia CG toolkit (so the OpenGL renderer for PCSX2 works).

19. Keep your terminal in the Download folder, we will need to install PCSX2 later.

By now Wine SHOULD (this is all off the top of my head) be set up and ready with all PCSX2 core dependencies.

20. Download the newest PCSX2 SVN for Windows from here:
http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html

21. Extract the file by double-clicking it AFAIK (I am not sure OSX can extract 7z files, if not search on the internet for a program that does this for OSX or come back and I will try to help further Smile )

22. Put your legally dumped PS2 BIOS in the right folder in the PCSX2 extracted directory (a folder called "bios" Wink )

23. On the previous terminal, type:
cd pcsx2*
You should now see you are in the folder that was just extracted with PCSX2. If you type "ls" in the terminal you should be able to see a lot of files. If not try doing "cd pcsx2*" (without the quotes) once more and then "ls" to see if you can now see a bunch of files on the terminal.

24. On the terminal type:
wine pcsx2.exe
MAKE SURE IT IS RUNNING WITH XQUARTZ AND NOT THE APPLE X11 APP!!!!

Now the configuration for PCSX2 should open up, you are almost done.

25. Configure it as normal, choosing your BIOS when prompted.

Now here comes the fun Wink

26. On the PCSX2 window menu bar choose "CDVD > No disc"

27. On the PCSX2 window menu bar choose "System > Boot (full)"

If the world was perfect you should now see the virtual PS2 booting but in reality PCSX2 will probably crash. Try changing the Graphics plugin to the one that isn't GSdx (I believe it is ZeroGS) and try again. If it still doesn't boot up come back to me Smile

You can the test and figure out what does/doesn't work with this setup and adapt appropriately; I will help you with any doubts you have Smile

Good luck Smile