PCSX2 development plan,thoughts,contributions
(07-06-2014, 11:04 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I think games requiring software mode would still qualify for "Perfect." My reasoning is that perfect to me means "replicates the experience of the original console" and so since the only limitation of software mode(other than speed) is native resolution, I think it would still be perfect.

But going by that logic hardware/high resolution rendering will never be fixed because its already perfect anyway.

Sponsored links

(07-06-2014, 10:36 AM)Lioncash Wrote: Thank you for posting this. I may not agree with some of those things, however this is probably one of the most constructive things in the thread.

You're welcome to discuss things you don't agree with, preferably in a different thread because this one became too messy by now. Thanks.

About AVG, we're listening to issues with it, e.g. if you think the toolbar itself is terrible - e.g. that it's really hard to uninstall, or that it craps your system, etc, do let us know (all of us have tried it before we bundled it and made it in one piece to the other side).

The only thing which we don't want to discuss is our choice to bundle apps with PCSX2 - as long as we're being decent about it (which we think we are) and as long as there isn't a big backlash from many users (so far it seems there isn't, most responds are actually positive and more than understanding).
(07-06-2014, 11:07 AM)Monochrome100 Wrote: But going by that logic hardware/high resolution rendering will never be fixed because its already perfect anyway.

Where did I say that? Just because a game receives a Perfect rating does not exempt it from improving further. There is no true Perfect, we've already established that.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Quote:The only thing which we don't want to discuss is our choice to bundle apps with PCSX2 - as long as we're being decent about it (which we think we are)
I think if it was opt in rather than opt out, there'd be a lot fewer complaints.
Refraction: Apologies, thank you for clarifying it.
@RachelB I hesitate to comment on this, since it is really not my place(as again I say I am not involved in the decision making process regarding this).

I don't think that is an unfair request at all. I am not sure how AVG people would feel about that, or if they'd even allow it. But it seems definitely in the realm of something plausible.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(07-06-2014, 10:33 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: And as for the gameindex.dbf, as I said a few posts back: If we are gonna continue using it, I am interested in updating it. How might I go about that?

I don't think we're going to drop it because right now this will break too many games.

If you have updates, the "proper" way is to discuss them (at the game compatibility forum maybe?) then pull request on github with your patch, or just post the change someplace at the forum and someone with github access will push it instead.
(07-06-2014, 11:21 AM)avih Wrote: I don't think we're going to drop it because right now this will break too many games.

If you have updates, the "proper" way is to discuss them (at the game compatibility forum maybe?) then pull request on github with your patch, or just post the change someplace at the forum and someone with github access will push it instead.

When really was the last time it was updated? Is it truly that out of date, or is there anything even to add to it that has been discovered since it was last updated?
(07-06-2014, 11:04 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I think games requiring software mode would still qualify for "Perfect." My reasoning is that perfect to me means "replicates the experience of the original console" and so since the only limitation of software mode(other than speed) is native resolution, I think it would still be perfect.

I'm not really opposed to that but one thing to note that might confuse some users is that hardware is the default setting, so unless they manually change it to software, some games might be listed as perfect and look not so perfect out of the box. Still this might either not be giving the user enough credit (people who run emulators are more savvy into playing around with options and such than the average computer user) or might be a mistaken assumption from the start (that a game listed as perfect has to be perfect on the default "out of the box" settings). I do think these are issues that need to be thought about a bit when deciding what games to give perfect scores to though in order to have a "stance" on it so the scores follow consistent criteria.

(07-06-2014, 11:10 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Where did I say that? Just because a game receives a Perfect rating does not exempt it from improving further. There is no true Perfect, we've already established that.

I think he means it may encourage sort of a mindset that "okay this game is perfect in SW so we don't need to work on making it perfect in HW mode." This may not be a danger though because I assume the devs are more into using bug reports to decide what to fix or are trying for across the board accuracy rather than looking at the compatibility list. The compatibility lists are more for the end user AFAIK.
(07-06-2014, 11:26 AM)BlackTelomeres Wrote: I'm not really opposed to that but one thing to note that might confuse some users is that hardware is the default setting, so unless they manually change it to software, some games might be listed as perfect and look not so perfect out of the box. Still this might either not be giving the user enough credit (people who run emulators are more savvy into playing around with options and such than the average computer user) or might be a mistaken assumption from the start (that a game listed as perfect has to be perfect on the default "out of the box" settings). I do think these are issues that need to be thought about a bit when deciding what games to give perfect scores to though in order to have a "stance" on it so the scores follow consistent criteria.

I get your point. That's something to consider, and currently I am really not sure which way would be best. I think I need to hear more opinions on this particular subject honestly.

Which, by the way, this is exactly the type of discussion that needs to go into this Perfect rating, so we all understand what it means and what it doesn't. And I think that somewhere on the main site or forum this definition of Perfect that we come up with should be explained, out in the open, for everyone devs and users alike to see.