PCSX2 for Gentoo
Hello everyone!

My name is Vincent and I'm a Gentoo developer. I'm here to share with you an ebuild for PCSX2-1.0.0 I have written.

All the stuff is in my overlay: http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p...git;a=tree

Just add the overlay to your layman overlays and try to install. It will tell you that you need to unmask some packages first. Do it and retry Smile

I'd like to know how PCSX2 works on your Gentoo system, and if you have any problem with the ebuild just ask me.

If you don't know how to use layman, please read this guide: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Layman

All the feeback will be appreaciated.

Best regards.

Sponsored links

Why do you need to do that ?
Quote: src_prepare() {
sed -i -e "s:GSdx TRUE:GSdx FALSE:g" -i cmake/SelectPcsx2Plugins.cmake || die "sed failed"
sed -e "s:0.9.8:${PV}:g" -i CMakeLists.txt || die "sed failed"
}

pcsx2_ZZReplayLoader and pcsx2_ZZCGReplayLoader are debug/dev tool. If you don't want to build them you can use this option -DBUILD_REPLAY_LOADERS=FALSE

Didn't know the wx option, it could help me on debian too.
Quote:wxgtk_config="-DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/wx-config-2.8-32"
Hello gregory,

first of all, thanks for your feedback!

(03-06-2013, 10:01 AM)gregory Wrote: Why do you need to do that ?
In my first tests, GSdx failed to compile. Now it works fine, so I have changed the ebuild and now the GSdx plugin is built and installed. Thank you gregory!
About the version substitution, I do it because it's needed to avoid this failure (and another one for another document):
Code:
CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:80 (FILE):
  file INSTALL cannot find
  "/var/tmp/portage/games-emulation/pcsx2-1.0.0/work/pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-sources/bin/docs/PCSX2_FAQ_0.9.8.pdf".

gregory Wrote:pcsx2_ZZReplayLoader and pcsx2_ZZCGReplayLoader are debug/dev tool. If you don't want to build them you can use this option -DBUILD_REPLAY_LOADERS=FALSE
Done. Thanks again :-)

gregory Wrote:Didn't know the wx option, it could help me on debian too.
Great :-)
Where did you get pcsx2 source ?
(03-06-2013, 03:32 PM)gregory Wrote: Where did you get pcsx2 source ?

Here:
http://pcsx2.net/download/releases/sourc...-code.html
Ah yes I remember. There is also a bug in GSdx. Is it possible to have a package build of current svn or is a tarball mandatory ? By the way how work gentoo, is the source tarball downloaded from the gentoo package or directly from our server?
(03-08-2013, 08:47 PM)gregory Wrote: Ah yes I remember. There is also a bug in GSdx. Is it possible to have a package build of current svn or is a tarball mandatory ? By the way how work gentoo, is the source tarball downloaded from the gentoo package or directly from our server?

It can't be downloaded directly from your server because you need to mark a check box, but I have mirrored the file in a Gentoo server.

I have made a tarball for the SVN revision 5581 and I have mirrored it too. And the ebuild for that version is ready too. But, at least in my system, zzogl and zzogl-cg don't work and only GSdx can be used but is very slow. Anyway, I'll commit the ebuild soon.

I have tried with Shadow Of The Colosus. My system is a Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 8GB ram, nVidia GeForce 9600GT. Is that normal? Should work fine?
You pick one of the most demanding game! IIRC, zzogl used to work with SoTC. GSdx is slow because the rendering is done by the CPU not the GPU. I didn't finish the port to use fully the GPU.

For the tarball, if you want a smaller tarball trimmed of 3rdparty and copyright stuff, you can use this script debian-unstable-upstream/create_pcsx2_tarball_from_svn_repository.sh
(03-09-2013, 04:20 PM)gregory Wrote: You pick one of the most demanding game! IIRC, zzogl used to work with SoTC. GSdx is slow because the rendering is done by the CPU not the GPU. I didn't finish the port to use fully the GPU.
Please, could you tell me one of the less demanding game? I would like to see a ps2 game working at full speed on my system Smile

(03-09-2013, 04:20 PM)gregory Wrote: For the tarball, if you want a smaller tarball trimmed of 3rdparty and copyright stuff, you can use this script debian-unstable-upstream/create_pcsx2_tarball_from_svn_repository.sh
Thanks!

#EDITED#
I have modified the script to build 3 snapshots to compare the sizes. Look at this:

$ du -hs pcsx2.snapshot_5581.orig.tar.*
7,6M pcsx2.snapshot_5581.orig.tar.bz2
9,5M pcsx2.snapshot_5581.orig.tar.gz
3,9M pcsx2.snapshot_5581.orig.tar.xz

I'd sugest you to use the xz one, because it saves a lot of space Smile

#EDITED 2#
Also, your script leaves the .svn directories which are consuming space. If you remove them you will gain more space Tongue

PS: ebuild for rev-5583 available.
Actually I used to removed the .svn, then I wrongly though that svn 1.7 move every .svn dir into a single root .svn. I will update it in my next commit.

I will keep gz for flow compatibility with others distributions. By the way, mine .gz is only 4.2M (without .svn), the switch to xz will probably yield smaller gain.

Anyway, you're free to update the script for you convenience Smile