PCSX2 on AMD Processors - Programmers needed?
Heart 
Hello Everybody!

I am new to this forum so I hope that I didn' t post in the wrong thread.

I am the proud owner of an AMD Phenom II processor and a 4870 1GB GPU and while I mostly work with this machine gaming of PC titles is really great.

If it comes to the PCSX2 I am not so sure any longer. I have tried several titles and the framerate drops/Fluctuations are enourmous.

So my question: SSE3 and SSE4A are the responses of AMD to the aequivalent Intel instructions but both are not supported by current pcsx2 versions!

IS THERE A GROUP OF PROGRAMMERS OUT THERE LOOKING FOR HELP TO IMPLEMENT THOSE INSTRUCTIONS IN GSD9/10 OR ZEROGS TO HELP AMD USERS?

As far as I know it is not "nature`s law" that the PS2 can be better emulated on Intel systems than on AMD. It just takes a couple of code lines!

Sponsored links

Actually, SSE3 is supported by Intel processors as well. It just adds nothing useful for PCSX2 (According to Gabest).

SSE4A has 6 essentially useless (For GSDX) instructions, while SSE4.1 has a couple dozen instructions, some of which are useful to GSDX. SSE4A is in no way comparable to SSE4.1. Just compare the instructions yourself, if you don't believe me.

Regardless, the extra instructions don't make a huge difference in GSDX performance, anyways, in my experience.
We use SSE4.1 on the vu clamping in pcsx2. It does help a fair deal there, so yeah, amd cpus are at a disadvantage once more.
(The real issue is their not-so-good denormals are zero speed btw Tongue2 )

AM3-USER:
You're always free to try and add those "couple lines of code". We'll gladly use them in pcsx2 if they're correct. Just don't get your hopes
up. I hear the amd specific opcodes are useless..