User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
PCSX2 on Android
mrjared123 Offline

PCSX2 on Android
Well, the PCSX2-Vita talk is a little less possible than this, Sony and the hardware limitations and all...

Android is Linux based, I know for a fact, and it is always updating and has been for years. I have a feeling that it is going to be around for years and years more. The processing power is also getting greater, the new Tegra 4 is coming out next year I believe and is A15 based quad-core at 2Ghz (You can probably overclock it also). It apso has support for PS3's sixaxis controller.

The Android SDKs are free and you don't even need to submit it to the Play Store (unless you would want to as both PS1 and N64 emulators are there). I think it would be awesome to play PS2 on an Android device, who else would think it is a good idea?

Devs, please feel free to tell if this is a terrible idea, I just want your opinions. Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 09:32 PM by mrjared123.)
07-21-2012 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Sponsored links

EmucraZ Offline
Megacorp Commando

RE: PCSX2 on Android
well im not a dev but my opinion would be that it isn't the best idea,it would take a long time for a ps2 emulator on android and plus we need stronger Android phones to at least get 30 fps and android phones are specifically Java code based so it would be a speed decrease but maybe on the PS Vita it could be near powerful to run a ps2 emulator.Biggrin
07-21-2012 11:48 PM
YumiLovesMe Offline
Banned

I highly doubt that a cell phone (android or whatever you call it but to me its just a damn phone) of all things could handle a PS2 emulator... even high end computers struggle to do the job...

I am not a dev. but I really think a PS2 emulator (such as PCSX2) is a terrible idea for such a weak setup...

EDIT:

Other issues...

-Storage (PS2 games are not exactly small)
-Screen size
-Battery life (high performance will probably make the battery life drain quicker)
-Controls - granted there are controls you can hook up to it but who the hell wants to carry around extra garbage when they want to play a game?! I thought the point of a cell phone was to be mobile -.-
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 12:09 AM by YumiLovesMe.)
07-21-2012 11:53 PM
mrjared123 Offline

(07-21-2012 11:48 PM)EmucraZ Wrote:  well im not a dev but my opinion would be that it isn't the best idea,it would take a long time for a ps2 emulator on android and plus we need stronger Android phones to at least get 30 fps and android phones are specifically Java code based so it would be a speed decrease but maybe on the PS Vita it could be near powerful to run a ps2 emulator.Biggrin

Not just phones, but more toward tablets for power Wink
And I do realize that it would take VERY long to make an Android application Sad , but still, I think PS2 emulation on mobile devices is the next big step in emulation.
07-21-2012 11:57 PM
YumiLovesMe Offline
Banned

@mrjared123 care to a address the possible issues I talked about below?...

(07-21-2012 11:53 PM)YumiLovesMe Wrote:  Other issues...

-Storage (PS2 games are not exactly small)
-Screen size
-Battery life (high performance will probably make the battery life drain quicker)
-Controls - granted there are controls you can hook up to it but who the hell wants to carry around extra garbage when they want to play a game?! I thought the point of a cell phone was to be mobile -.-
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 12:09 AM by YumiLovesMe.)
07-21-2012 11:59 PM
mrjared123 Offline

Sorry, I posted my post like right after yours so I couldn't read it in time.

Yeah, storage can be fine. Most phones have MicroSD card slots that can be expandable to 64GB (?) I think, maybe more, if internal storage isn't enough.

Android's screen is small, yes, but newer phones are getting mine HDMI ports and tablets are big enough for most people.

Battery life... idk about that. But the Android I have has a 2500mAh battery that lasts the whole day no problem, and usually goes through most of the next too. Batteries are getting more, and if you are on the go somewhere I'm sure it will last more than a few hours. Smile

And controls will be a bit of a problem lol I don't think one PS3 controller is TO much to carry around...

EDIT: The FPse PSX emulator runs absolutely no problems or slowdowns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDN-QchPi7Q

Even though this is a new phone with a quad-core, my single-core at ARM7 1GHz runs pretty much every PSX and N64 full-speed (even when using OpenGL on FPse). And I know PS2 and PSX are EXTREMELY different and all, but a quad-core ARM15 at 2GHz will be powerful.

And another thing I found: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/201...t7200.aspx

A benchmark showing that a Tegra 3 at 1.5GHz is more powerful than a Core 2 Duo T7200 at 2GHz. Also take note that this is still the older Tegra 3, and the newer Tegra 4 will be WAY faster at 2GHz (overclockable).
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 12:20 AM by mrjared123.)
07-22-2012 12:09 AM
YumiLovesMe Offline
Banned

Ok I will give you that storage probably wont be an issue...

Screen size - I say that because a lot of games (well most I play any way) have a rather large hud (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HUD_(video_gaming)) which will take up even more room. Granted the phone will just make it smaller but imo it becomes a bit too ridiculous.

Battery life - maybe it will be ok but I think it depends on the phone.

Controls - granted it is not that hard to bring around a PS3 controller but it is still one extra thing to carry around.
07-22-2012 12:14 AM
abdo123 Offline
plant scientist !!!!

(07-21-2012 11:59 PM)YumiLovesMe Wrote:  @mrjared123 care to a address the possible issues I talked about below?...

issue 1 : Storage devices are now one of the cheapest thing now we can just buy an External HDD of a Flash Drive with ~20$ not to mention MicroSD

issue 2 : android is not just for Phones Tablets wont get that issue and FPSE ( PS1 emulator for android ) worked it out Smile

issue 3 : whenever you use anything for gaming that's happen it's not a problem it's a flaw ( ps2 EMU or not ) it will stay forever !!!
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 12:20 AM by abdo123.)
07-22-2012 12:16 AM
YumiLovesMe Offline
Banned

Your response to issue 3 did not make sense to me :/
07-22-2012 12:21 AM
mrjared123 Offline

(07-22-2012 12:21 AM)YumiLovesMe Wrote:  Your response to issue 3 did not make sense to me :/

lol I really didn't understand that either

And also about the issue 1, you said it's not an issue anyways but the micro USB can also use external HDD and flash drives as abdo123 Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 12:26 AM by mrjared123.)
07-22-2012 12:24 AM

Current time: 11-28-2014, 08:00 PM