Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PCSX2 on QEMU User Mode
Hello World

I would like to conduct a test: Running PCSX2 in a chrooted environment under QEMU in user mode, specially from a Power-PC CPU. The problem is I have a little brother who killed Linux on my PS3 with ridiculous Sony update and I have no other Power-PC device I can use for testing. I will soon start trying on an x86 architecture (I'm in Germany now without my PC, using a friends laptop) but it looses the cross-platform loving-fun. I achieve to accomplish a result similar to the idea of Damion from where he run WINE on an ARM device (n900) by a dynamically linked chroot environment from an Ubuntu x86 install (link here:

I would like to ask here the geeks in the community to help me out, I guess PCSX2 needs to be installed on the x86 Linux install and then follow the steps to get the dynamically linked environment into the Power PC device. Then compile a recent version of QEMU from source (or download binary, the more tests the better) and chroot into the environment in User Mode emulating exclusively the x86 SSE2 CPU. If this works then we can wait for proper 3D OpenGL drivers for PS3 Linux or use Mesa 7.5+ (now apparently supports 3D acceleration from IBM Cell SPUs, link: and and have some fun playing PS2 games on non-supported PS3s (I know this is pretty far away but, as I like thinking, dreaming is free Laugh).

As you see I have done my homework (meaning Google search Tongue) but I haven't been able to find anything better than "Dude, if you run a Virtual Machine of M$ on the PS3 and then emulate PS2 on it it will be very slow." Yes, well done, that is why I seek for User Emulation, which if we get working it would be legen... wait for it... DARY Wink

I really cannot start testing until I go back to Spain where I have my real "Computer Techie" lab, if someone manages to do some testing it would be great Smile

Hope to get feedback from the community!

Mr P

Sponsored links

Mesa 7.5 is suxx. Even Mesa 7.8 suxx. If you lucky, ZZogl could be run, but only recent versions (where I fixed non-openGL 3.0 code). Also we need Nvidia cg-Toolkit to use shaders, and as I suppose this part of code would not be working on non-native architecture at all. And anyway, it would be slow. Do you knew how much fps free (for ATI and nvidia) native drivers could show in pcsx2? 1-3 fps (and 3 in special test, not ingame).

p.S. if you would be able to run glxgears, you will be lucky one.
My idea behind this was kinda proof of concept but its great to get feedback from u Wink
So i guess this means no chance of cg-toolkit running through QEMU, I forgot they were libraries, Im stupid Smile
So no software workarround then I guess, if you say Mesa suxx I guess you are right, Im really not this much into this kind of projects.
This is not necessarily for PS3, just for any other architecture, PS3 was my "most obvious" kinda example.
Do you have any idea of where to start?? I still have a while until Im back in Spain but I could get going

Hey BTW apparently cg-toolkit runs on OSX powerpc so maybe theres the equivalent for linux, looking arround

EDIT: Apparently no Sad wateva
Well, first try glxgears and something like mplayer. This task is reachable and you've got a necesary exp. Than try to run tuxracer. I bet this task would not be reachable without code hacking. And after that you could try to play with emulation, PS1 software plugins should be o'k (but I bet you would be hack some sources for it). PS3 is better PowerPC architecture you could find, ARMS are pretty slow so 3d graphics is not for them, and old Mac's are old. For pcsx2 support there is so much work. Maybe rewriting shader on GLHL would be helpfull. Maybe I should try to do it.
The re-coding of the shader would help, I will find a Linux-capable PS3 (as I said my one lost it after update 3.21) and get going.
Keep in mind, that the power pc in the cell is weak (A p4/Athlon 64 can probably beat it easily). It was designed for video games, not emulation. For example it is only support in-of-order architecture, so the compiler need to reorder instruction (I do not thinks gcc did it for powerpc). If i remember correctly branch prediction is basic. Cache is small. The only good things is slow latency. Maybe get a 32 nm cell and overclock it at best can help Wink Or wait the PS4

Actually pcsx2 will need a lots of modification to efficiently use the spe (the real power of the cell). The power pc in the cell does only a major jobs: send datas and command to the spe.
First of all two further questions I have been chewing around:

First, wouldn't the cg-toolkit be loadable from WITHIN then x86 environment? I knew QEMU couldn't load libraries for the NATIVE application (i.e. x86 Adobe Flash for PowerPC Firefox on PowerPC host) but I thought it could load libraries for the actual emulated CPU (i.e. x86 Adobe Flash for x86 Firefox on PowerPC host). Again I'm not sure about the cg-kit because it's pretty low-level and communicates with hardware if I'm not wrong. Can someone confirm this? Again if I was back I would test it myself.

Second, the huge re-write of PCSX2 would hugely eliminate complexity as no QEMU or chroot environment is needed but... Who is going to do this? I speak not much C (or derivates) and definitely cannot help at all, and I seriously don't imagine a parallel community or the actual developers porting it, they already have enough work doing the x86 port Smile. So I really think this idea is out. I know it will never (well, MAYBE sometime far away) be usable, but it would be a nice proof of concept Smile.

Okay now that my night is over and it's daytime again I'll start comparing devices on which to try this.

Well, Cg-Toolkit is middle level interface to shader's programming, so it's use CPU-GPU architecture. And with no-native CPU's we usually loose all of this architecture dependent abilities (unless somebody wrote the proper wrapper, as Mesa project want to do with OpenGL). And about 'who' -- the one who needs and want to do something. Not me.
So cg-kit's shaders can be run with emulated QEMU CPU but albeit slowly I would say. It's annoying not having any PC, I'm stupid and should've brought my laptop here Smile
I'm still searching around but I'll post updates.