Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PCSX2 on Ubuntu 10.10 @ full speed possible?
I am currently in the process of building a new computer I want it to be an AMD Phenom II X2 with the other 2 cores unlocked for an X4 cpu overclocked to 4 ghz (in small increments and over time), nVidia Geforce 9800 GT 1 gb ram, and 4 or 8 gb of system memory.

I know On windows, most likely any game will play at full speed and may not even need speed hacks at all with specs like those, but Linux is a whole diffrent story. Ive noticed that a lot of speed hacks dont work on Linux, and the sound is kinda buggy.

Has anybody ever gotten pcsx2 to run at full speed on Linux or more specifically Ubuntu, with proper sound and everything?

Sponsored links

Can you even get a phenom to 4Ghz? Good luck trying! The graphics card and ram are fine. Remember that clock for clock, your 4Ghz phenom will perform about like a 3.6 Ghz C2Q. Speedwise on linux, it's hit or miss. Zzogl is good, but not nearly as compatible or fast as GSDX. With less intense games, FFX, KH1, etc, you should get full speed pretty easily.
(12-28-2010, 05:31 PM)Urisma Wrote: Can you even get a phenom to 4Ghz?

yup
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/695411...555-a.html

I'm not saying its an easy task by any means but its def possible and its been done before.

Your right about Linux though, its not really designed for gaming even though it can be done. I think I will just stick to the dual boot with Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows XP lol
If you want to play games why would you use a linux distro? Dolphin and PCSX2 are far less supported on linux and osx. DX drivers are also fa more developed for in these cases.
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM
For the sound, you need soundtouch 1.5 (1.3 on ubuntu), you can also try to increase the latency in spu2x.

Dx (d3d exactly) and ogl drivers are the same, there are only API to access the card function. You can achieve same results with both API. Linux is also desinged for gaming, it only miss games that a different problem.

The ogl plugins of PCSX2 (zzogl) need some loves and improvements, we miss man power.

The sound issue has to do with SPU2-X (portaudio, actually) selecting a high latency output device.
If you know a bit about Linux coding you could prolly whip something up to make portaudio choose a better routing path.

Also, if you're lucky the games you want to play are well supported in zzogl.
In that case and with the latency fix you can play games just fine on Linux Wink
I use dual boot system with 7 and Ubuntu and will get about 5-10 better frames with dolphin then if I use windows 7. I don't know why, I might have something set up differently in the emulator then on the windows version. but I still do get better performance. now I just have to get pcsx2's CDVD working write in Ubuntu and I will be really happy. Smile
Yes, the PCSX2 linux version is a little slower because the GS plugins needs some improvement. Feel free to contribute Smile
Just finished my new computer build and indeed the linux version is a little slower, but is surprisingly very compatible. Im using Ubuntu 10.04 with an intel core i3 @ 3.07 ghz 8 gb ram @1600 mhz. I'm sure if I overclock, the games that do play a little slower will also play at full speed no prob.

The only problems I have are.. I cant figure out how to increase the resolution in the linux version, is it even possible yet? Also the biggest problem which REALLY is really annoying, is that FFX-2 FMV's are flashing and nothing I do will stop it. Does anybody have any idea how to smooth out the FMV's in FFX-2 in Linux? besides that the game plays almost perfect
Quote:The only problems I have are.. I cant figure out how to increase the resolution in the linux version, is it even possible yet? Also the biggest problem which REALLY is really annoying, is that FFX-2 FMV's are flashing and nothing I do will stop it. Does anybody have any idea how to smooth out the FMV's in FFX-2 in Linux? besides that the game plays almost perfect
Don't use AA in this scenes.