PCSX2 partners with AVG
As you all know, PCSX2 is a free open source project that has been in development since early 2001.
For all these years the team has tried to give you the best emulator possible, with everyone working on it voluntarily.

Now, after 12 years, development has slowed down considerably. This is due to both, the increased difficulty in ironing out the persistent bugs and also lack of motivation from the few remaining developers to dedicate the time that is needed.

A few months ago a representative of AVG, the maker of a well-known anti-virus solution, contacted us about a partnership offer.
After carefully considering the proposal, the team decided to accept the partnership with AVG which will generate some much-needed income by bundling the AVG SafeGuard product with PCSX2.

The money generated from this partnership will be divided among the team members to provide incentive and motivation to further improve PCSX2.
Using it we can invest in special hardware, recruit new coders or pay some bills, freeing up time for the project.

What this means for the end-user:
- Our full installer for the official windows release (and ONLY that) will now come bundled with the AVG SafeGuard toolbar. When installing users will be free to opt-out and NOT install it.
- If you decide to accept the AVG toolbar, you will directly help the team keep PCSX2 going.
- Users will have increased protection against visiting potentially dangerous websites, reducing the chance of getting viruses.
- The SafeGuard toolbar can be uninstalled like any other windows program. If you require further asssistance in the removal process we will be happy to help.

We care for our users and we have accepted this offer after being ensured the toolbar is harmless and can be easily uninstalled if and when a user decides to.
Still, if any of you have any problem you can ask for help in our forum and we will do our best to help you.

In the end, we believe this move will be for the benefit of the project and will play a significant role in improving PCSX2.

That said, we are already gearing up for a 1.2.0 release, so we will keep you posted when that happens! Smile
[Image: newsig.jpg]

Sponsored links

This is great news
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
This is pretty cool. I used to use AVG for the longest time, although a few months ago I switched lol. But still, it's safe to say that they wouldn't be hiding any sneaky crap in their toolbar. Actually my mom's laptop still running AVG.

Good to know that the devs will be getting some support!
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Nice.. more money for pcsx2 and no useless toolbar.. win-win!
CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 955 @ 3.4Ghz
GPU: MSI GTX 560-Ti Hawk
RAM: Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333 @ 1600
PSU: XFX PRO550W

This is awesome. Hopefully various news sites will report on 1.2.0's release to generate some buzz for this!
I don't mind as long as it's optional, and I'm glad that the PCSX2 team will earn some revenue. I've noticed that PCSX2 development has slowed down a lot, to only about 1-2 changes per week.

This is just for the installer release, right? It doesn't affect SVN builds?
Since I routinely update to the newest SVN build about once a month or so.

For 1.2.0, just make sure that the cheats_ws folder is fully up-to-date, since this is going to be the first official PCSX2 release with integrated widescreen patch support, as well as the "Enable Widescreen Patch" function. And since people are going to download 1.2.0, we want the best impressions for the widescreen hacks.

Also, I also strongly recommend including KrossX's Pokopom plugin and Asmodean's PCSX2Fx shader filter in the 1.2.0 release, because PCSX2 should be Xinput-compatible immediately (like all PC games in my opinion), and PCSX2Fx just makes everything more vibrant and colorful.
(12-26-2013, 11:24 PM)devina40 Wrote: This is just for the installer release, right? It doesn't affect SVN builds?
Since I routinely update to the newest SVN build about once a month or so.

Yes it is only with the full installer for the release, SVN builds and the web installer (like the news post says) will not contain it Smile

(12-26-2013, 11:24 PM)devina40 Wrote: For 1.2.0, just make sure that the cheats_ws folder is fully up-to-date, since this is going to be the first official PCSX2 release with integrated widescreen patch support, as well as the "Enable Widescreen Patch" function. And since people are going to download 1.2.0, we want the best impressions for the widescreen hacks.

This is actually one of our goals, we need help if people can fishing through all the widescreen patches and filtering out ones which render the game unplayable or have too severe glitches, but we want to do this definitely.
(12-26-2013, 11:24 PM)devina40 Wrote: Also, I also strongly recommend including KrossX's Pokopom plugin and Asmodean's PCSX2Fx shader filter in the 1.2.0 release, because PCSX2 should be Xinput-compatible immediately (like all PC games in my opinion), and PCSX2Fx just makes everything more vibrant and colorful.

We hadn't actually thought about this, i will put this forward to the team Smile

Thanks for the suggestions and support!
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Smart move, devs deserve something for making this amazing soft. This will help keep their motivation so they don't waste their time here coding for free.

PCSX2 has come a long way indeed, I can play all my games without a problem. Don't know what is there to do anymore on it. Except maybe increse usage of CPU cores and so on...
That is very interesting. If i keep installing that toolbar, does it mean you guys make more money each time? Is it against the rules? Am i marked when i do so the first time? questions questions Laugh
Prolly linked to ip address.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD