PCSX2 running perfectly on my 13" laptop
Updated 2011-03-14

Unsure about the topic but here goes nothing:

Hi everyone!

First of all, I would like thank the developers of PCSX2, you have done a astounding job with this emulator and it has given me plenty of happy hours. You should all be proud of yourself since PCSX2 beats the ***** out of my backwards compatible 60gb PS3 when it comes to PS2 emulating.
You´ve outdone Sony! ;)

Because of you guys I´ve found a new interest in my old PS2 library and even bought some new games after setting up PCSX2. Its really really nice to be able to play PS2 on a 13" laptop with HDMI out. This way I carry a PS2 around with me all day!

And the games look really sweet, especially when you put on some scaling. Wipeout Fusion becomes comparable to Wipeout HD! And the SSX games are a blast to play and runs really smooth with super sweet graphics.

This is probably my favorite emu of all time (sorry MAME ;).

Im posting here to tell you about how PCSX2 has worked for me and share some of the results.
I dont know if you are intrested in this but its the least I can do.

COMPUTER: Sony Vaio VPCZ13V9E
13" laptop bought two months ago.

Specs:
Processor - Intel Core i7-640M 2,80 GHZ
Memory - 6gb DDR3
Harddrive - Quad SSD (RAID 0) 256gb
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 1gb
Screen - 13,1" 1600x900, external resolution 1920x1080 via HDMI
Controller - DualShock 3 via Bluetooth through MotionJoy driver

PCSX2: Version 0.9.7.387(svn)

Configuration:
(default configs not included)

EE/IOP
EE/FPU Round mode - Nearest

Video Driver: GSDx10
Renderer: Directx3D 10 (Hardware)
D3D Upscaling: 2x

Audio Driver: SPU2-X
Interpolation: 1 - Linear
Effects processing disabled
Module: 1 - XAudio 2
Latency 50ms

Controller plugin LilyPad svn 0.10.0 (r3878)
Controller: DualShock 3 with MotionJoy (terrible) driver

When configuring I wasnt sure what I was doing but some things gave good results, like changing the "EE/FPU Round Mode" to nearest.
But I have no idea what it actually means.. :)

Most of the problems I´ve had comes from the controller configuration.
The LilyPad plugin seems to work fine but I use a ***** driver called MotionJoy to connect the DualShock 3 with my comp through Bluetooth.
I really wish someone else made a good driver for the DS3 since its the perfect controller (duuh) for PS2 emulation (or any emu for that matter).

The D3D upscaling is a neat thing and all games (except Namco fighters) runs fine when set to 2x. I could probably set it higher for some games but its nice to not have to configure anything when changing games.

At first I had some problems with the sound, jitter and such, but after lowering the settings as much as possible it works fine.
I guess it would be nice to have better sound but it doesnt bother me, especially since all games ran at 25fps with the default config.

List of Games running perfectly (full speed or almost full speed, no glitches) with the above configuration:

Agent under fire[PAL]
Bloody Roar 3[PAL]
Bloody Roar 3[NTSC]
Bloody Roar 4[NTSC]
Bully[PAL]
Capcom vs SNK 2[PAL]
Capcom vs SNK 2[NTSC]
Contra Shattered Soldier[PAL]
Crash Nitro Kart[PAL]
Devil May Cry[NTSC] - Speedhack EE Cyclerate 3 and native resolution required.
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus[NTSC-J] - Mpeg skip required
Gradius III and IV[PAL]
Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas[PAL] - Some slowdown
Grand Theft Auto III[PAL] - Some slowdown
Klonoa 2[PAL]
Legacy of Kain - Soul reaver 2[NTSC]
Manhunt[PAL]
Marvel vs Capcom 2[NTSC]
Mega Man X7[NTSC]
Mega Man X8[NTSC]
Mortal Kombat - Deadly Alliance[PAL]
Mortal Kombat Armageddon[PAL]
Namco X Capcom[NTSC-J]
Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2[PAL]
NHL Hitz 2003[PAL]
R-Type Final[NTSC]
Red Faction[PAL]
Resident Evil 4[PAL]
Rez[NTSC]
Rumble Racing[PAL]
Rumble Roses[NTSC]
Rygar[PAL] - Mpeg skip required
Soul Calibur II[PAL] - Only with native resolution
SSX 3[PAL]
SSX On tour[PAL]
SSX Tricky[PAL]
State of Emergency[PAL]
Starwars Episode 3[NTSC]
Street Fighter EX 3[PAL]
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike[NTSC-J] - Only with native resolution
Tekken 5[PAL] - Only with native resolution
TimeSplitters[PAL]
TimeSplitters - Future Perfect[PAL]
Viewtiful Joe[PAL]
Veiwtiful Joe 2[NTSC]
Virtua Fighter 4[PAL]
Wipeout Fusion[PAL]
Wipeout Pulse[PAL]
X-Men Legends[NTSC]
X-Men Legends 2[NTSC]

List of games tried but failed to run properly (wouldnt mind some help ;):

Battlefield 2[NTSC] - Cant try it, 90% of the menu is covered by a black layer
Black[NTSC] - Lots of graphic jitter and pixels, good speed though. Slow and ugly with Software rendering
Burnout 2[NTSC] - Slow with x2 scaling, decent speed with native resolution. EE Cyclerate 2+native resolution makes it somewhat playable
Devil may Cry[PAL] - Nothing
Driver Parallel Lines[PAL] - Lots of graphic glitches
Driver 3[PAL] - Cant remember, probably the same as above
Jak and Daxter[NTSC] - The menu is not visible. Some graphic glitches (characters have weird eyes). EE Cyclerate 3+native resolution gives good speed but not really playable
Just Cause[PAL] - Lots of bad graphics. Software rendering helps some but makes it slow
God of War[PAL] - Green bakground with hardware rendering, only 20fps with software rendering
God of War II[PAL] - Same as above
Grand Theft Auto Vice City[PAL] - Cant get past loading
Killzone[PAL] - Loads really slow and I only get max 2fps
MotorStorm Arctic Edge[PAL] - Cant get the speed up, runs slow and looks ugly
Neo Contra[PAL] - The game starts but the screen goes white and I cant do anything
NHL Hitz 2002[PAL] - Freezes at loading screen
Onimusha Blade Warriors[PAL] - Nothing
Ratchet and Clank[PAL] - Looks OK but runs super slow
Ratchet Galdiator[PAL] - Around 35 fps and some graphic glitches
Red Faction II[PAL] - Hangs in menus
Silent Hill 2[NTSC] - Seems to work alright but I only get half the screen, the other half is black
Spider-Man 2[NTSC] - Runs well but suffers from graphical glitches, especially the windows on the buildings
Starwars - The force Unleashed[NTSC] - In hardware rendering, half the screen is covered by black, like a black sea. Software rendering only gets me 35fps
Syphon Filter - The omega strain[NTSC] - Runs fine but suffers from graphical glitches; the head of the character is stretched out in a triangle shape (in both hardware and software)
Tekken Tag Tournament[NTSC-J] - Black after PS2 console logo
Tekken Tag Tournament[NTSC] - Nothing
TimeSplitters 2[PAL] - Some kind of graphical error
The Punisher[NTSC] - Runs slow, looks fine though
Ultimate Spider-Man[PAL] - Lots of graphical glitches and it runs slow

I´ve ripped the majority of the games to ISOs using ImgBurn(thx for the recommendation whoever made it on this forum).

Maybe you have no intrest in this but there are some updates that could be made to the compability list (which I´ve had great use of when buying new PS2 games, thank you very much) based on this, if a kind soul would like to update it.
If you want me to, I can continue to share further results since I will probably try out more games over time.

Once again, thanks a million to all who worked on this great program!

(excuse my spelling, Im from Sweden ;)

Sponsored links

Nice. Smile It's always good to see how well some of the fastest laptops can perform.

I do think you should consider trying games on the (more) default settings. Devil May Cry should boot without a problem, so I assume there must have been some changing that caused the problem.

GTA Vice City is just broken at this point.

UPDATE: I did manage to get in-game with GTA:VC. I made a thread about it, so just search for it. Smile
Hey, end13, try to set the Latency (in SPU2-X) to some higher level, you might get a better sound and still a decent speed. You know, in this particular setting, lower doesn't mean fasterSmile At least works for me.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.7 GHz
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB DDR5 @ 800/1000 MHz
RAM 2x2 GB DDR 3 Dual channel
you have to do as the same as the picture says to fix GOW 1+2 :
1: in this picture
the speed might get lower because of the high up scaling but it didnt happen for me so if it dose use number 2
2 in this picture it will fix the bug but it wont give you the image quality that you want
now if 1+2 didnt work use number 3
3- the picture is nasty but the speed is higher
note : i support dx11 ( but you dont ) so chose dx 10
i cant do that to point it out for you because dx 10 disappear if you support dx 11
note 2 : if you going to use up scaling in picture number 1 the main d3d res should be 1080x1080 or else it wont work
note 3 :the pictures are in the attachment

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the suppourt guys, and man, you´re fast!

Rezard: Since DMC is one of my favorite PS2 games I gave it another go and tried to set some configs back to default but I still got nothing after the capcom logo. Im starting to think there is something wrong with the rip so I´ll make another ISO and try it again.

I saw in the compability list that Vice City isnt working atm but tried anyway. You never know until you see it yourself right? ;)

Szalooth: Maybe I should consider changing the latency but my immediate thought was that i wanted as little delay as possible, especially playing fighting games. But 200ms Isnt that much anyway (one fifth of a second, right?) so it will be the first thing I do when reconfiguring the audio.

abdo123: Great reply! Tried all three and here are the unfortunately negative results:

1 - The green layer is still there and the game runs pretty slow, 25-30fps. I havent got rid of the green stuff without changing to software rendering, the 1080x1080 internal scaling didnt make a difference.
2 - Got a pretty good speed with this one, almost as good as with native resolution (which is locked at the PAL max of 50fps). But the screen is still greenish.
3 - This one is terrible all around, looked pretty messed up and, like above, the screen is still green plus black lines, pixels and whatnot.

I will keep on trying with this one as Im a huge GoW fan and seeing how many others have gotten good results with the game.
Anyway, thanks for helping out!

I will try out a few more games hopefully later today and post updates to the first post of this thread, since people seem to have some kind of interest after all ;)
So I did some additional research (should´ve done that prior to posting) and finally got Devil may Cry running.

I used speedhack and changed the EE Cyclerate to 3 and the game started and is fully playable altough there seems to be some graphical conflict when using scaling. Where text graphic (lifebar etc) is present I get a small portion of the screen in a small box in the top left corner of the screen if you get what i mean. Kind of annoying since the game looks really nice when using scaling. But I guess I´ll have to settle with native resolution for now.
(03-06-2011, 04:59 PM)end13 Wrote: Thanks for the suppourt guys, and man, you´re fast!

abdo123: Great reply! Tried all three and here are the unfortunately negative results:

1 - The green layer is still there and the game runs pretty slow, 25-30fps. I havent got rid of the green stuff without changing to software rendering, the 1080x1080 internal scaling didnt make a difference.
2 - Got a pretty good speed with this one, almost as good as with native resolution (which is locked at the PAL max of 50fps). But the screen is still greenish.
3 - This one is terrible all around, looked pretty messed up and, like above, the screen is still green plus black lines, pixels and whatnot.

I will keep on trying with this one as Im a huge GoW fan and seeing how many others have gotten good results with the game.
Anyway, thanks for helping out!

I will try out a few more games hopefully later today and post updates to the first post of this thread, since people seem to have some kind of interest after all Wink
wait number 3 got to work
maybe because i am using dx 11 the green screen got off !!!
but when i was using win xp both games work well with number 3
maybe because it is PAL because mine is NTSC let me do some research and i will find out what is the problem

The only reason that explains the green screen bug with GoW in the latest beta is if you're using some pirated/hacked version of the game. Thus, the game has a different CRC than the ones which are known and the special fix for it never gets applied.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
abdo123: Thanks for helping. Yea maybe it has to do with it being a Platinum PAL release?

Bositman: The only explanation you say, eh? ;P Like stated in the first post, me, myself and I have ripped all games (with three NTSC exceptions) from original PS2 games using ImgBurn. The games are platinum PAL versions. The files on the actual DVD for GoW1 dates back to 20040917-20050510.
The EU release of GoW1 was 20050621 so there shouldnt be a difference really.

After reading your reply I thought, why not try playing the game directly from the DVD drive. Still green stuff all over the place. So its not a bad rip or anything.

Anyway, the PCSX log says: supervu 1 cycle branch delay detected: XXXX XXXX
(03-06-2011, 10:45 PM)end13 Wrote: abdo123: Thanks for helping. Yea maybe it has to do with it being a Platinum PAL release?
yes that version crc is may not be listed in gsdx special fixes