PCSX2 runs slow on my computer?
Question 
I recently got a new computer with these specs (It's an ASUS ROG, so it's suitable for gaming):
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (Turbo boost to 3.50GHz)
16.0 GB RAM
Windows 8.1
1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD

I'm using PCSX2 1.2.1 and the game I'm trying to run is Sly 3.
I have a lot of PS2 games from when I was a kid and so I decided I should play it for old times sake, but to my surprise, the game ran really slowly, like 10 fps slowly.
I don't know why this happens and since it pretty much all comes down to the specs, I decided to post my problem here to see if someone could help me.
I can provide screenshots if necessary.
Thanks in advance Smile

Sponsored links

Screenshots of all of your settings would be great. Smile
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
First of all, make sure that you have set windows performance plan to high performance and playing the game while having your laptop plugged in and, if it still slows down. provide the EE and GS values during the slowdown and also screenshot all of your pcsx2 settings and post it here as Nobbs said.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(03-30-2015, 05:47 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Screenshots of all of your settings would be great. Smile

Here they are (taken with the snapshot tool found in the program) as attachments.
I think that is all, but if anything is missing, just tell me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

First, let's start by clearing ALL of those settings. They're bound to break things and do more harm than good, so let's wipe em.

Second, Enable all speed hacks labeled "Recommended". Also use the MTVU and EE cycle rate hacks. That should offer a speedup

Third, you can set either 2 or 3x scaling in your GSdx config as well as using full texture scaling. 8-bit textures may or may not offer a slight speed boost. (It most likely won't)

Fourth, like ssakash said, make sure your laptop is plugged in and set to high performance.

On a side note: Please do not follow unofficial guides on YouTube, as they are both unsupported and can cause far more harm than good.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(03-30-2015, 06:28 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: First, let's start by clearing ALL of those settings. They're bound to break things and do more harm than good, so let's wipe em.

Second, Enable all speed hacks labeled "Recommended". Also use the MTVU and EE cycle rate hacks. That should offer a speedup

Third, you can set either 2 or 3x scaling in your GSdx config as well as using full texture scaling. 8-bit textures may or may not offer a slight speed boost. (It most likely won't)

Fourth, like ssakash said, make sure your laptop is plugged in and set to high performance.

On a side note: Please do not follow unofficial guides on YouTube, as they are both unsupported and can cause far more harm than good.

I did everything you told me to do, at first it was running fine, at 50-60 fps, but when the actual game starts and the cutscene begins playing, the frames just drop and the audio is really slow, as you can see by the attachment.

what are the EE and GS values during slowdown ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(03-30-2015, 06:46 AM)ssakash Wrote: what are the EE and GS values during slowdown ?

Doesn't the attachment show that? The values displayed on the top?
Both are at 22% in the attachment.
sorry, looks like your processor is still not using it's full potential. are you sure that you have changed the settings as mentioned and set the windows performance plan to high performance in the control panel ? if yes, make sure you are not using any other applications while playing pcsx2 and set priority of pcsx2 to high in taskmanager and try again.
- Refraction
(03-30-2015, 06:52 AM)ssakash Wrote: sorry, looks like your processor is still not using it's full potential. are you sure that you have changed the settings as mentioned and set the windows performance plan to high performance in the control panel ? if yes, make sure you are not using any other applications while playing pcsx2 and set priority of pcsx2 to high in taskmanager and try again.

I closed everything except for PCSX2 and SCP Server (because of the controller) and in the beginning it all went nicely like usual, but although the cutscene wasn't as laggy as it used to be, the sound still lagged a bit. When I got into the actual game, the frames dropped. I'll send an attachment.
(It is set to high priority and the computer is running in high performance mode, plugged in)

EDIT: I tested it a bit more after this and there was a sudden increase in frame rate, no idea why, but it happens when the life bar bugs out.
Please see the second attachment.